Where's the RP?! - A Concise Guide

85 Troll Rogue
01/11/2011 11:05 AMPosted by Nynieve
I might add some personal input here, if I may.

Remember, YOUR RP is not always THE RP. Your character is operating within the world, not the other way around. Sometimes other story spheres may mesh with yours, sometimes they may not. Do not judge, or try to co-opt someone elses RP. Play your charactrer as if they exist in the world we play in, not the world we live in. precious snowflakes of originality are rare. Please keep them that way.

Listening can be the biggest inspiration of creativity there is.

These are great points, but I hesitate to add them to the first posts because those posts should focus not on how to RP, but how to find RP. It's often the experienced roleplayers that come here and can't find it.

I don't have a problem with people offering tips like this in the thread, far from it, but it is ever-so-slightly off topic. There is actually a good roleplaying guide among the sticky threads, if anyone cares to read it.

Also, as the title says, I want to keep things brief. I don't want to scare away any newcomers with an insurmountable wall of text! My hope is that people will seek out more advanced roleplaying tips after they've given it a try.
Reply Quote
49 Undead Warrior
((
01/11/2011 1:49 PMPosted by Abotu
I might add some personal input here, if I may.

Remember, YOUR RP is not always THE RP. Your character is operating within the world, not the other way around. Sometimes other story spheres may mesh with yours, sometimes they may not. Do not judge, or try to co-opt someone elses RP. Play your charactrer as if they exist in the world we play in, not the world we live in. precious snowflakes of originality are rare. Please keep them that way.

Listening can be the biggest inspiration of creativity there is.

These are great points, but I hesitate to add them to the first posts because those posts should focus not on how to RP, but how to find RP. It's often the experienced roleplayers that come here and can't find it.

I don't have a problem with people offering tips like this in the thread, far from it, but it is ever-so-slightly off topic. There is actually a good roleplaying guide among the sticky threads, if anyone cares to read it.

Also, as the title says, I want to keep things brief. I don't want to scare away any newcomers with an insurmountable wall of text! My hope is that people will seek out more advanced roleplaying tips after they've given it a try.
To further resolve the sentiment, there are indeed many individuals with many perceptions about the world, the lore, themselves, and every other individual.

Seekers: do not claim to look for roleplay, find it, then assume that it is only as you have seen. For every roleplayer that infuriates you, there is a guild that prides itself on being the exact opposite of that specimen.

-Faleav
oceans suffer a puddle's scorn

))
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
Keepin' it bumped...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Nyx
Great post!

As for RP addons, I usually keep MRP loaded all the time, and when I'm socializing or looking on the AH, I load TOTALRP2.

I LOVE totalrp2. I'm going to mess around with the "quest" option in totalrp2.

Edited by Marxaine on 1/12/2011 12:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
01/12/2011 3:43 PMPosted by Rasek
Soon ED forums will be nothing but stickies.

Don't be hating! Perhaps we'll never have to answer another "How's this server?" post again!

*crosses fingers*
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
01/10/2011 8:08 PMPosted by Abotu

Alliance: /join LFRP
This channel is for meeting other roleplayers, organizing impromptu RP gatherings, working out storylines, getting advice... all that good stuff. Talk in-character if you feel like it.

Thanks for the mention! I need to re-post the rules thread from the old forum. LFRP is intended to let roleplayers coordinate events and storylines between and outside of guilds. Discussion is out of character, but must remain civil and on topic (think of it as a narrator voice rather than a character voice, if that helps). Everyone is invited to participate, so please /join LFRP today!

There's also an RP channel on the Alliance side, but it's largely fallen out of use. It was an in-character tavern.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
This is very solidly written. This isn't the kind of server that you roll and immediately find RP. You need to hunt it down, and this thread makes note of that.
Reply Quote
78 Troll Mage
This doesnt deserved to be stickied theres already a rp guide
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
01/12/2011 5:44 PMPosted by Zappie
There's also an RP channel on the Alliance side, but it's largely fallen out of use. It was an in-character tavern.

(( I think that was a channel frequented by Horde Alliance Alts and was active when most of us were on the Alliance when we were starving for RP back in May. I could be mistaken, though. :D ))
Reply Quote
42 Human Mage
((Thank you for this post ))
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Great post Abotu. Now if I could only get my stupid calendar to work. *throws hammer at the wall.

Zigra,
Faleav owes me lunch
Reply Quote
49 Undead Warrior
((
01/13/2011 7:41 PMPosted by Nephilíum

(( I think that was a channel frequented by Horde Alliance Alts and was active when most of us were on the Alliance when we were starving for RP back in May. I could be mistaken, though. :D ))
Please refrain from generalizing to a faction what was merely true for individuals. While starvation may have affected some Horde, others explored Alliance waters with full bellies -- a curiosity more driven by boredom with the then-expansion's content than for what your words depict.

01/14/2011 8:39 AMPosted by Zigra
Faleav owes me lunch
Indeed, I do.

-Faleav
pesky career

))
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
01/13/2011 4:11 PMPosted by Lightnìng
This doesnt deserved to be stickied theres already a rp guide

This isn't an "rp guide."

I specifically posted information that wasn't in the sticky threads. If somebody wants to edit this info into one of them, go ahead.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Man, why isn't this stickied yet?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]