Turning Off Guild Chat/Announcements?

57 Blood Elf Death Knight
As the subject suggests, I have a toon in a large guild that for the most part is pretty good as far as guilds go. But there are times when the inane chatter and gratuitous "gratz" every time one of our numerous members gets an achievement/level up (which seems to be every few minutes with that many members racing for guild rep) gets rather annoying. Is there a way to simply leave guild chat without announcing to the guild that Character X has left the chat channel....tactlessly proclaiming she's annoyed?

Also, is there a way to turn off the feature of announcing when guild members log on and off? If I need to know this info, I'll simply check the roster. Alts are very popular in this guild so these announcements are constant.

I'd ask this in guild chat but...you know...someone might take offense. ;) Thanks!

PS- I really do like the guild in question.
Reply Quote
86 Orc Warrior
you can right click the [Guild] thing and put your guild chat on a different text tab so you wont see guild chat at all
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
01/08/2011 7:45 AMPosted by Voltairia
As the subject suggests, I have a toon in a large guild that for the most part is pretty good as far as guilds go. But there are times when the inane chatter and gratuitous "gratz" every time one of our numerous members gets an achievement/level up (which seems to be every few minutes with that many members racing for guild rep) gets rather annoying. Is there a way to simply leave guild chat without announcing to the guild that Character X has left the chat channel....tactlessly proclaiming she's annoyed?

Also, is there a way to turn off the feature of announcing when guild members log on and off? If I need to know this info, I'll simply check the roster. Alts are very popular in this guild so these announcements are constant.

I'd ask this in guild chat but...you know...someone might take offense. ;) Thanks!

PS- I really do like the guild in question.

Make a new chat frame. right click and click settings. Uncheck the 'guild' channel for that new window. Add any other channels you might want like trade, system announce /w /s /y etc.
Reply Quote
82 Human Hunter
I found the number of messages and member online/offline alerts for a large guild to be TMI. I tried creating a separate chat window so I could toggle gchat on and off, but found I could not delete the General tab. With 3 tabs the width taken up by the chat windows is even larger.

Here's a simpler method of turning off guild chat that doesn't involve creating a separate chat pane:

Right click on the General tab to see a list of functions.
Left click on Settings.
The Chat Category is displayed by default and contains a list of Player Messages.
Left click to uncheck guild chat.
Left click to uncheck guild announcements (of achievements).

To remove the sound alert when guild members come on and offline, go to the Game Menu (Red Question mark icon - used to be green monitor icon).
Under Social, uncheck Guild Alert.

To see who is online when the Guild Alert with sound effects is off, I go to the yellow Social icon near General tab, select Who and type in Guild Name. It would be good though if you could have member online/offline alerts without the clunking sound.

When you want to see guild chat again, repeat and check guild chat.

Under the Global Channels category, #5 is gchat. These are pink external guild recruiting messages. You can uncheck this as well.
Reply Quote
Some time ago, my issue was Officer Chat. I actually turned it off as I could not believe that some of the so-called officers were saying about the members.

Although the GM and I got along swimmingly and the guild was fantastic, I had to leave due to other officers and I having issues.

That was when I was horde.

You do what you do to keep sane in a game full of ppl that have no life.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]