Anyone running on DSL??

85 Undead Rogue
It appears you americans still dont have proper internet........
i think the lowest LEGAL provided internet around here is 1Mb down/512Kb/s up
thou i haven't heard anyone using that slow internet in some time.
i am in the middle of nowhere with a 8Mb down 2Mb up adsl line
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I roll with DSL. 800kbs Down/200Up.

It's horrid at times, but it is my only option as well. Can't DL anything, and streaming is unheard of. Can't even enjoy youtube. But yeah, wow is good still.... That is when I'm not getting DC every 5 minutes, and then hit with a 5minute loading screen, only to be told "That character already exists" or ending with another dc rinse wash repeating.

Your DSL really sucks then..

I can stream Netflix, Hulu, watch youtube. (note I don't play wow when I do these though). I can download music with little problem while playing wow as well, youtube is doable too, to a degree.

Did you look at his speed? He didn't even purchase the basic 1.5 Mb/s tier service. He went with the bargain string and tin can version. Which is the equivalent of "Military Special Blended Whiskey" of DSL.
Edited by Gallowz on 1/11/2011 10:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
60 Human Rogue
01/11/2011 10:44 AMPosted by Suhgurim
It appears you americans still dont have proper internet........
i think the lowest LEGAL provided internet around here is 1Mb down/512Kb/s up
thou i haven't heard anyone using that slow internet in some time.
i am in the middle of nowhere with a 8Mb down 2Mb up adsl line

Where is this?

Uverse has up to 24MBPS Down/3MBPS Up.

Yeah its $65/month, but just sayin'.

No I don't work for sales, just tech support :P
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Depending on the speed of the DSL you have available, it can either be great or terrible. I had to switch to DSL with a fairly slow connection and it is holy CRAP frustrating! I have lag even when my lag-o-meter is green, I am frequently disconnected, and when my parents answer the phone, I either lag out or get DC'd entirely. It is especially annoying because of how much they talk on the phone.
Just opt for the best package you can get or prepare to be annoyed.
Reply Quote
82 Tauren Druid
I play on DSL as well and most of the time it's okay. I find that during peak times I have more issues with staying connected or lagging. We have the fastest service available for our area, but we are also 1200 ft out of their area. Meaning they weren't supposed to sell us the DSL but my roommate refuses to switch to Cable as it's almost double the cost for just internet and she won't get rid of her satellite t.v. LMAO I'm a gamer chick, she could care less. That will change soon hopefully. But you shouldn't have any issues if you're actually in their area and get a good connection speed. They do have turbo speed DSL available now which is optimal from some dsl companies and others just offer a higher speed for gaming in general. Just get all the details before you choose the pkg. I honestly hate DSL after having played via Cable Connection for the last 4 yrs. But that's just my opinion. Good luck.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
01/11/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Gallowz

Your DSL really sucks then..

I can stream Netflix, Hulu, watch youtube. (note I don't play wow when I do these though). I can download music with little problem while playing wow as well, youtube is doable too, to a degree.

Did you look at his speed? He didn't even purchase the basic 1.5 Mb/s tier service. He went with the bargain string and tin can version. Which is the equivalent of "Military Special Blended Whiskey" of DSL.

Did you even read my other post?

My connection is 756 Kb down, 256 Kb up.. A 1 Mb burstable speed..
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
01/11/2011 10:48 AMPosted by Miklos

Where is this?

Finland in the cities you can get 200Mb for 54.90 €/month
normally ppl use the 8Mbdown option thou its dirt cheap and way more then needed for most ppl
Edited by Suhgurim on 1/11/2011 10:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
82 Tauren Druid
Also if you have DSL and satellite and/or reg phone service thru the DSL provider you're using you have to put filters on the phone lines. Otherwise it can cause connection issues. That's why I usually find if I play during non-peak times or when I'm the only one home my connection is a lot better. No one watching tv or on the phone. We were having such horrendous connection issues at first and when the tech guy came out he put a filter around our house and it's better now, still not great but as mentioned in my previous post, we're technically not supposed to have been sold the pkg. But it is what it is for now.
Reply Quote
60 Human Rogue
01/11/2011 10:55 AMPosted by Suhgurim

Where is this?

Finland in the cities you can get 200Mb for 54.90 €/month
normally ppl use the 8Mbdown option thou its dirt cheap and way more then needed for most ppl

W-why would anyone need 200MBPS? Lol....slight overkill, but woa, nice.

I'm Canadian, and the best locally is 80MBPS with Cogeco. Bell Canada maxes at 50MBPS.
Reply Quote
62 Undead Warlock
01/11/2011 10:33 AMPosted by Syllai

DSL is not as fast as cable, but you won't need it for this game. Plus, DSL is not shared right up to the CO like cable is so you have most of the bandwidth to yourself.

I am on DSL and it works great for me, even though I live in a high density area

I live in Parker Colorado, not to far south of Denver. Where I live, DSL is faster then Cable internet. 16mbit/s was the fastest available where I live, though comcast advertises on their website 50mbit/sec where available. I recently just changed to Qwest DSL where I am paying $49 a month for a 40mbit/sec Download 20mbit/sec upload, and only paying $5 more then I was with comcast.

My Latency have actually gone lower with DSL compared to Cable.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
I recently moved and had to switch from Charter cable to Qwest DSL. I was a little worried but it's not as bad as I thought. Logging in, especially in Stormwind, is noticeably slower and sometimes I stay in the red for a minute or two, but eventually everything smoothes out.

I have Qwest's 7Mb/896k package. My girlfriend will be streaming Youtube on her computer while I play and I really don't notice it. I also have my TV connected wirelessly and have no problems streaming Netflix to it...but I've never tried to do that while playing so not sure if it would handle it.
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Shaman
I have DSL and don't have any problems. 6Mbps down / 768Kps up
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
We switched to DSL about 6 months ago, from cable, apart from the occasional disconnect (provider end), it works perfectly fine for all our internet needs. We run 2 computers running WoW with netflix on tv for the kiddos, no problems at all. We do have the fastest available in our area, so as someone already posted, aslong as you don't choose the slowest, you should be fine.
Reply Quote
62 Undead Warlock
01/11/2011 10:48 AMPosted by Matronbaenre
Depending on the speed of the DSL you have available, it can either be great or terrible. I had to switch to DSL with a fairly slow connection and it is holy CRAP frustrating! I have lag even when my lag-o-meter is green, I am frequently disconnected, and when my parents answer the phone, I either lag out or get DC'd entirely. It is especially annoying because of how much they talk on the phone.
Just opt for the best package you can get or prepare to be annoyed.

You have filters on the phones in the house? Could even be your modem. Do you have a satellite TV receiver connected to your phone line, and if so does it have a filter? Could also something wrong with your wiring in your house.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
We have rural DSL. We both have disconnects from several times a week to several times a day. My daughter is up more than I am. My WOW disconnects several times a day and I have to wait about 5 min to get back into WOW and get back on Internet generally. Everyone I know who has more than one person on DSL has this problem. If you are the only one connected, DSL is fine. I've known people in Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, Utah, and California who've told me the same story over the years. It's hard to be in a dungeon and have a dc right when you're in battle :( I never had this problem with cable broadband. But, it's better than not having Internet :)

I also had cellphone Internet. They politely told us they were disconnecting us when we got WOW. Even though the company advertised "unlimited Internet" they told us we used it too much.

Before that there was satellite Internet and that company told us basically the same thing!

Our DSL is 6 mbps and we can't get 12. If they offered it, I would get it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I've had 1.5Mb DSL before and it was fine with WoW. WoW doesn't use much bandwidth so just about anything other than 56k dialup will be more than enough.

Due to the way DSL works, each user has its own DSL line to the central server or router (typically max 3 miles) while cable users may have multiple users per line. Cable can suffer slowdown if multiple users are using internet at once while DSL rarely suffer any slowdown.

As I mentioned, DSL is limited by distance, but if you know where the nearest telephone exchange box is, chances are DSL hardware are also housed there. If it's within a few miles or less, you should be able to get good speed.

Right now I have 6Mb and speed test have peaked at as much as 5.5Mb/sec sustained speed, anytime of the day. I bet if you used the same speed test while on cable, your speed may vary with good speed at (oh say) 3 AM your time but really sucky at prime time.

PS no matter what you choose, don't take satellite. Most of the time they may be fast but they have long latency and can spoil any online gaming experience.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
DSL is broadband internet service just like cable is. They each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

DSL is perfectly fine, just like cable is perfectly fine.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
01/11/2011 11:08 AMPosted by Adiamaea
We have rural DSL. We both have disconnects from several times a week to several times a day. My

I've had 5 desktops and 2 laptops all on the same DSL without a problem. Your frequent D/C issue could be caused by missing DSL filter if you also use land line phone on the same cable. You should have someone come over and check your telephone wiring. Best if it's a friend who'd do it for beer and pizza and not for $50/hr ;)
Edited by Buruu on 1/11/2011 11:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
01/11/2011 10:24 AMPosted by Ghostflower
i may have to move and cable internet cant be accessed where im going...DSL is my only option...will it be enough to continue game play or not..??

DSL is never a bad option. It is a form of broadband internet and can be very good service. Personally, I switch between DSL and Cable based services ever few years. The reason is that simply those are my two choices for internet in my area and one company tends to have a deal that the other company doesn't offer.

Right now I am using a cable based provider, the only reason was simply because I got 10 times the speed for about $5 less a month. After recently checking, the DSL provider offers a little faster speed for the same price as I am paying, not to mention some other bonuses.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]