Is there a way to practice healing?

20 Draenei Shaman
Or does it just come down to learning from mistakes you make in an instance? I have healed a couple time so far and i'm not terrible, but could be way better. I'd like to get better without having to worry about being kicked because of a mistake I or other members have made.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Roll some battlegrounds if you're just worried about which spell to use on which state of health bar. Someone gave me this tip when I started and I found it really helpful. People are used to dying there anyway and may even thank you just for trying.

If it's the fight mechanics you're worried about, I suggest running as DPS and watching whatever encounters you aren't comfortable with very closely. Hey, even if you wipe once or twice on a fight, so what? If you take the time to learn from it, it will just make you better in the end.
Edited by Lancelet on 1/11/2011 10:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
For starters, I'd just go over all of your healing spells and start categorizing them in your head. Slow, big heal for tank taking steady damage. Fast heal for spiking damage. Etc. Once you start sort of mentally grouping situations to use each heal, it'll help you be able to react with them when you're in that situation.

One thing you can do after this is to get a few more levels then run something much lower than you, like Deadmines. Your higher level means you won't be as hard-pressed and can take time to figure out what you need to be doing. Practice that a bit and then just advance your way into more level-appropriate content.

There are three keys to being good at healing, and at WoW in general: understanding your abilities, attaining experience with them, and wanting to get better.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Your best practice is going to just be running the appropriate level dungeons as you level up. You'll be able to get away with healing as shadow till you get dual spec, then definately make a healing spec for dungeons.
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Shaman
01/11/2011 10:15 AMPosted by Draeger
Or does it just come down to learning from mistakes you make in an instance? I have healed a couple time so far and i'm not terrible, but could be way better. I'd like to get better without having to worry about being kicked because of a mistake I or other members have made.

Suck up your ego and just run dungeons. Healers in general need a thick skin because the first thought people have when they die is "why wasn't I healed?" Even if there is nothing you could possibly do, chances are the burden of proof is on you to prove that.

I'd recommend getting a death log of sorts (recount has one) and get in the habit of posting the log for people who die and complain about healing. Fess up if you screw up but similarly, provide them evidence that they were doing something wrong when they blame you.

Okay, well, I guess i'll just do that. When you started to talk about the death log though you lost me lol. What is this recount that you speak of?
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Shaman
I will definitely be trying this! Thanks =)
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Shaman
I will definitely be trying this! Thanks =)
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Shaman
01/11/2011 11:01 AMPosted by Odurren
Damage Taken is my new recount. I watch that like DPS do their meters

http://elitistjerks.com/f32/t13567-recount_graphical_damage_meter_raid_analysis_tool/
for more info

For PvE healing it goes without saying to just learn the instance and encounters. Every fight, even the small time instances have their own mechanics that they abide by. Stuff to stay out of, when or when not to move, what will be getting hit and for how much. Once you know the encounters of instance then you'll be more conscious about healing. As mentioned above. read over your spells. Blizzard put new spell infos on most spells and generally speaking their recommended use of the spell is for the most part accurate. So learn what spells to use and when.

You've entered a state of WoW that is hard for newish healers, especially at the beginning, where everyone wants to rush rush rush But dont let that demotivate you. Use it as a tool to better help you get used to a faster pace.

Be prepared to get blamed for deaths / wipes. The faster you shrug this emotion off the better off you'll be. Apologize and move on. It's the absolute most you can do. If you get kicked don't take it personally. Just try your hardest to maintain everyone's health and your mana. Good tanks and DPS will watch their own health as well as others and judge what you're putting up with. If a tank has stopped for a prolonged period of time he/she is either afk/talking or looking out for you and the team. Regardless take advantage of downtimes.

If you are going OOM faster at certain parts of instance, before everything is dead run a little ahead of the party and sit down and drink as soon as you can. That way by the time the party gets to you (even a few meters) You'll have that much more mana. But dont run so far ahead to pull mobs and such!

PvP healing with get you better used to dispelling curses/diseases/magic/poisons. Get used to it! Normally instances at a lower level it isn't necessary and if someone complains about certain dispellable things too much then dispel them every so often or simply tell them during fights it's easier/more mana efficient to just heal through it all rather than stopping healing, dispelling, and healing again. Then after the fight clean everyone up and move on to the next if it's a prolonged whatever. (WoW is spoiled now in lower instances dispellables dont last that long anyway [Arugal's curse / mothers milk anyone?????])

DPS can get away with it but for tanks and healers,try to be one step above the party in terms of gear / items. The stronger you are means more survivability. Don't be shy and roll on what you need to. No excuses. If it's better than what you have go for it.

Unlike tanking and DPS we have more of a situations rotation for our spells. And basically it just boils down to whats better to use when. Absolute best of luck to you! Stay strong! Try! Succeed!

ANd just looking at your gear now. If you got a couple of extra gold go down to the AH and look at leather armor and, if cheep enough for you, pick up intellect gear. Drop the greys. try and attempt to stay up to date with gear if you can it'll be easier for you in the long run. If no leather intellect / spirit gear available. Dont be shy for now. throw on some cloth. Later levels start looking more towards leather / mail and then late in game go exclusively to mail.

EXTREMELY HELPFUL! Thank you =)
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
It is an uncomfortable fact of life that we improve when we make mistakes and don't improve when we do it all perfectly.

If you want to get better, you'll have to sometimes fail and make mistakes. There is no way around it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]