Leveling Prot 101

(Locked)

85 Tauren Paladin
Thanks for this guide. Just hit 85 today and followed it the whole time. :)
99 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello,
Thank you so much for the guide...following it to a T =)

Quick question...does the comment "It's also important to note that AS will apply the DoT from SoT to every target it hits" still apply?

I've been reading a couple comments on wowhead that are inferring that this might have been removed. And Avenger's Shield (unglyphed) is a multi-target ability while the Seal of Truth tooltip states that censure can only be applied through single-target attacks. Just want to be clear on this.

Thanks!

85 Human Paladin
07/24/2011 03:33 PMPosted by Scarrlet
"It's also important to note that AS will apply the DoT from SoT to every target it hits" still apply?

I think it only applies to the first target it hits. I've never bothered to check since I tab target really fast anyway.
Edited by Xayton on 7/26/2011 4:47 PM PDT
95 Night Elf Hunter
This is a very good guide, and I am using it to raise a prot pally of my own. I enjoy playing a prot pally way much better than playing my hunter. Thank you so much for making this guide!
68 Blood Elf Paladin
This is a fantastic guide. I wish I found a thread like this back when I leveled my first pally in BC.

(edited to delete a dumb question I already solved.)
Edited by Narantha on 8/13/2011 10:27 PM PDT
66 Human Paladin
Thank you so much for this guide xD
72 Blood Elf Paladin
Just wanted to say thanks! :D Been looking for a guide to tell me (low lvl) the best rotation etc. Mad respect!
Thank u for all your 'wall of text' I found quite insightful :)
However, I would like to nudge someone in the direction that most of us look for in a 'Class 101' WHERE IN ELUNES NAME do we find quests BESTTTTTTT suited to our chosen spec.
I'd love to not spend tons of time leveling in an area that drops MOSTLY leather with stats that are useless u to me when there is positively another area that drops things I would love to be using until pvp/instance level.
HELP plz :)
thnx
90 Pandaren Shaman
Just thought I'd throw in a little tidbit. Under your professions you said Alchemy only extends the duration of flasks. It also gives a boost to the effect of those flasks (which makes it equal to the other professions). You also get a free flask with infinite use that gives a +80 boost to your primary stat.
72 Human Paladin
A most excellent guide to go with an excellent name xD Although this is my second pally (first Alliance pally =) it's my first serious attempt at a main tankadin :-O With your guide I might just be able to hold aggro and maybe forgo a wipe or two. In closing, tyvm! Also, grats on 85 Shindahikari =) Even Xayton ("the Great" imho) added a comment--yet more proof of the quality of your guide
Edited by Isgard on 9/7/2011 7:56 AM PDT
100 Worgen Rogue
Why no Divine gaurdian?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm glad that the guide is still holding up, I actually have not been able to really play lately due to real life commitments.

07/26/2011 04:46 PMPosted by Xayton
"It's also important to note that AS will apply the DoT from SoT to every target it hits" still apply?

I think it only applies to the first target it hits. I've never bothered to check since I tab target really fast anyway.

I'll have to test this out on the target dummies and get back to you.

08/30/2011 06:30 PMPosted by Woozie
However, I would like to nudge someone in the direction that most of us look for in a 'Class 101' WHERE IN ELUNES NAME do we find quests BESTTTTTTT suited to our chosen spec.

I wanted to avoid adding bits of information about quests, items, and zones to the guide as that information changes more often than talent specs do. Also... it's just a lot of data to cover and I just don't have the time to do it. For the most part, you should be able to power through just about any quest zone. If you find that you are lacking in equipment at lower levels (pre-60) you can generally just queue up for a LFD group without much danger. Once you hit the Outlands you'll start seeing better quest rewards.

09/13/2011 05:38 PMPosted by Easton
Why no Divine gaurdian?

Divine Guardian is not included in the leveling spec for the simple reason that it is a waste of a point at lower levels. Not to stomp on the talent's utility, but it is really best in heroics and raids. I do mention picking it up at the end of my guide, though, at the suggested level85 respec.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello,
Thank you so much for the guide...following it to a T =)

Quick question...does the comment "It's also important to note that AS will apply the DoT from SoT to every target it hits" still apply?

Tested... AS no longer applies the DoT.
I'm leveling in RDF with a healer friend and this guide has been very helpful. However, I found that SoI was more useful than SoR from 32 to 44 because threat was never an issue and Consecrate is so mana intensive that the regen from judging Insight was required to let me chain pull. Related to that, I took Hallowed Ground at 45 so I could use SoT with no mana issues (I'm 46 atm if avatar hasn't updated). If you quest to level the added damage from SoR and the other talents (taking them in the order you listed) would be better, but the best way I can contribute to a quick run as the tank is with fast paced pulling.

In short: for tanking instances, the mana regen from SoI felt required before DPlea and Hallowed Ground, and HG is more valuable because of the chain aoe pulls.

Thanks for the work put into this guide; it's been a huge help.
85 Draenei Paladin
Thank you very much for the guide! I have been tanking instances since the early 20's and this guide has helped immensely. Instant queues are awesome. I have zero problems with threat, mana is fine and dps is great.

Thanks again.
3 Tauren Warrior
I found this thread about the time I started leveling my first tank. It has been awesome, and made me much more confident. I ran into something, though. I am shocked nobody has mentioned it. In the 28-37 range, the one I just left, you mention Holy Shield, which is unattainable. Very awesome guide.
85 Human Death Knight
Step 1: Spec prot
Step 2: Don't be retarded
Step 3: 85

Posts like this are hardly constructive, but do bump the thread...

I also think you missed a few steps, such as:
* know your class abilities
* understand what rotation to use
* spec/glyph properly
* gear properly (not fully detailed in this guide, I know)

As someone who has three tanking classes as well as some healers, allow me to add a note to all of this.
For all those pallies out there who seem to think Ret is the new Prot at lower levels...Stop that crap. There's a reason Retribution is DPS and Protection is Tanking. You may be able to hold aggro with RF and massive AOE damage with DS, But you're not a tank. You're a DPS. Switch specs, get a shield and a 1h, and learn to tank properly. I've already told myself next Ret tank I see as a healer I'm dropping group, no questions asked. I see too many lower-level paladins tanking as DPS and I'm just tired of trying to peacefully explain why they're doing something wrong.

This sounds angry, and maybe it is a little, but I type this after grouping with one so it's still fresh in my head.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
10/17/2011 06:21 PMPosted by Thebrm
I found this thread about the time I started leveling my first tank. It has been awesome, and made me much more confident. I ran into something, though. I am shocked nobody has mentioned it. In the 28-37 range, the one I just left, you mention Holy Shield, which is unattainable. Very awesome guide.

Hm... I think I originally wrote this when WoG/ShotR would trigger Holy Shield to activate (before they made it an off-GCD ability). Anyway, I've fixed the text. Thanks for pointing that out!

As someone who has three tanking classes as well as some healers, allow me to add a note to all of this.
For all those pallies out there who seem to think Ret is the new Prot at lower levels...Stop that crap.

I agree. I die a little inside when I see an someone trying to tank as ret.

In short: for tanking instances, the mana regen from SoI felt required before DPlea and Hallowed Ground, and HG is more valuable because of the chain aoe pulls.

I'm actually in the process of leveling another paladin from the ground->up, no heirloom gear, fresh server. It's a bit of an eye-opener. I've found that tab-target'ing through mobs until you get HotR tends to work just fine, as long as you have your finger on the taunt key. I rarely drop Consecrate. The only time I've had trouble with threat is when a ret paladin kept RF turned on (thanks Blizzard for making me put up with that for ~15 minutes before allowing a kick). Even heirloom-equipped melee dps isn't an issue.

I'm interested to see how things progress.
90 Human Paladin
Baneoftruth, Can I please add you to my RealID so I can talk to you as I level about what pieces of armor I should get and stuff? I'm new to Pally's, and I need advice.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]