Guild Rep is 100% Stupid.

(Locked)

85 Troll Shaman
Don't join a guild with jerks for leaders. SOLVED!

Such a glib pointless reply that does not even understand the nuance of the situation. WoW forums at their finest.
85 Dwarf Paladin
But Grit, some of the rewards DO serve a purpose (however small) a 5% increase in mount speed, or 5% increase in faction gained when farming for that faction to get your new mount or whatever. It all adds up. It's a perk, not meant to make or break the game either way.
Edited by Sorge on 1/17/2011 11:03 AM PST
85 Draenei Shaman
I think wearing your Guild Tabard should be no different than wearing any faction tabard. You get rep for doing dungeons with their tabard, why shouldn't you get it for wearing your Guild tabard?
89 Dwarf Paladin
01/17/2011 10:54 AMPosted by Sariax
I don't understand the reasoning behind needing guild rep anyhow....

Theres a ladder system already built into guilds (officers,recruits, etc), let the Guildmaster determine who has contributed to the guilds success, and who deserves what perks.

/shrug

It's a limiting system for two things, purchase access to Guild Rewards, and contribution to passive Guild Achievements. It's so MegaGuild A can't say to Johnny Thunderfury "hey, we'll pay you 10k gold to join our guild for a sec to unlock the Legendary Achievement for us". It's so Joe Altitus can't join MegaGuild B for two seconds just to buy all the heirloom items then gquit.

That's the reason it exists. That's the reason GMs don't have control over it.

I don't know enough about Legendary Guild rewards, but i would think it takes more than a sec to do it, but i'll look into it..
As for Joe Altitus, soon as he /gquits he can no longer wear the items that are perks of the guild he just quit. Seems easy enough there.
89 Dwarf Paladin
01/17/2011 11:05 AMPosted by Pabloshoover
ITT: people who believe they should have stuff without working with other people for it

ITT: people who don't think their GM is capable of deciding who has made exceptional contibutions to their guild.....

?
Edited by Wilee on 1/17/2011 11:16 AM PST
85 Troll Priest
I think quests shouldn't give guild rep since they aren't really a guild activity unless done with guild mates. Instead have actual guild activities reward more rep.
Edited by Ojomojo on 1/17/2011 11:23 AM PST
90 Troll Hunter
It's a limiting system for two things, purchase access to Guild Rewards, and contribution to passive Guild Achievements. It's so MegaGuild A can't say to Johnny Thunderfury "hey, we'll pay you 10k gold to join our guild for a sec to unlock the Legendary Achievement for us". It's so Joe Altitus can't join MegaGuild B for two seconds just to buy all the heirloom items then gquit.

That's the reason it exists. That's the reason GMs don't have control over it.

I don't know enough about Legendary Guild rewards, but i would think it takes more than a sec to do it, but i'll look into it..
As for Joe Altitus, soon as he /gquits he can no longer wear the items that are perks of the guild he just quit. Seems easy enough there.

Once rewards are purchased they are yours to keep. Otherwise random GM could decide he doesn't like you and make your heirlooms stop working by kicking you out. Plus your heirlooms are BoA, and can be sent to toons that are not members of your guild, or even your faction.
1 Human Priest
01/17/2011 10:14 AMPosted by Worgandonor
Like I said before, you are limited to doing nothing but quests. Period. I've played hundreds of arena matches,
which do not give rep
hundreds of Bgs,
but apparently not on the character you're posting with, as it only has about three victories (only rated ones in guild groups count)
15 or so Random Dungeons/Heroics,
if you're running those with your guild, then that should be counting - something tells me you're not doing that, however
and I don't even know how many Tol barads.
tol barad is a faction activity, not a guild one, don't know why you think it'd give rep.
Leveled 4 characters 1-60 in a guild that hit level 10 today. I can't buy any of the nice heirloom capes because all my characters are still some how "neutral" =/. So now instead, I have to buy them on my Paladin on a different server and transfer them over once head pieces become available.
85 Night Elf Rogue
01/17/2011 11:24 AMPosted by Chintercept
Guild rep should be account bound. and there should be no limit once you reach exalted atleast once.

With every guild being it's own separate faction, of course.
89 Dwarf Paladin
Once rewards are purchased they are yours to keep. Otherwise random GM could decide he doesn't like you and make your heirlooms stop working by kicking you out. Plus your heirlooms are BoA, and can be sent to toons that are not members of your guild, or even your faction.

If a GM would kick members for what could be considered "questionable" reasons... well, I'd imagine that would get around., and would give guild rep another meaning..

Personally, i hate the idea that the game is taking even more freedom from the players, and i'd prefer a system that allowed the GM to make desicions regarding his own guild

If you or your GM have it out, your items become unusable until you join another guild, that is, or you help to the appropriate level. I know many will disagree, and thats fine.

I am just thinking of those that do things for the guild "above and beyond" what blizzard says is appropriate contribution...
Edited by Wilee on 1/17/2011 11:39 AM PST
85 Orc Death Knight
I do think there needs to be more ways to obtain Guild rep and dailies should give way more rep. Leveling professions should give you guild rep because they are very useful for the guild.

Also guild rep going across all your characters in said guild would be nice. I went back to Org to get the cape for my alt priest but she is only friendly and could not buy it...
85 Blood Elf Hunter
01/17/2011 11:36 AMPosted by Wilee

If a GM would kick members for what could be considered "questionable" reasons... well, I'd imagine that would get around., and would give guild rep another meaning..

Personally, i hate the idea that the game is taking even more freedom from the players, and i'd prefer a system that allowed the GM to make desicions regarding his own guild

If you or your GM have it out, your items become unusable until you join another guild, that is, or you help to the appropriate level. I know many will disagree, and thats fine.

I am just thinking of those that do things for the guild "above and beyond" what blizzard says is appropriate contribution...

Or you could have a d-bag GM who even against the wishes of his officers decides to kick someone who has put in more effort than anyone to level said guild right before it hits level 10. He could even go so far as to just disband the entire guild and leave everyone out in the cold. Does it seem reasonable that the people in this situation lose all rep and all rewards?

I'm of the opinion that rep should be tied to an individual (account). Add some cool down on guild perks to stop the guild hoppers from just selling their achievements or trying to get free perks. Something like a one week cool down before any benefits are obtainable after joining a new guild, with a progressive cool down each subsequent change (e.g. move once, one week cool down; move twice, two week cool down).

I think rep should be easier to earn. It is too grindy as it stands, especially for alts. Make more activities provide rep.

I also agree with having a sliding cap on rep. Keep moving the cap to whatever the maximum rep could be if you had capped every week, so if you do take a week off for whatever reason you could come back and catch up.
90 Undead Priest
The guild leader needs to build rep with the guild they created...... :O

Donkey -------- > Carrot
Edited by Sorel on 1/17/2011 12:29 PM PST
Community Manager
100%!? That's like... all percent.

Well, I think this is a valid complaint being that there's an initial buy-in period where you're kind of wondering why you have to level up reputation with a guild you've been in for a year, but that's sort of the nature of implementing new features like this.

You are correct in that we do not want people to join guilds, be able to immediately buy rewards that the guild unlocked, and jet. Your idea of unlocking rewards based on time spent in the guild instead of contribution isn't quite right either.

Guild rep exists to gate rewards based on someone's actual contributions to their guild, not just being some dope on the roster. Jumping in to guild dungeon and raid runs (with 80% members, [25% for 40 person raids] until 4.0.6 which drops 5 person dungeons to variable gains based on 3/5, 4/5, and 5/5), winning rated bg's, or earning guild achievements, all help earn guild rep. And yes, so do quests, should you find yourself doing them.

The point is not to force you to do things you do not want to do, but instead be rewarded for participating in activities with your guild. And it uses criteria that ideally keep it from getting too 'gamey'. We could probably say if you make a flask, give it to a guild mate, and they drink it, you get some guild rep. And then that type of action turns into a fun farming game that has nothing to do with actually encouraging guild interaction. The criteria we've set are hopefully those that are both beneficial to the guild and its members, as well as avoiding making grindy actions the best way to get rep.

As far as making it account wide, I'm not a designer, but that definitely hinders, again, the guild participation factor. Once you have guild rep set on one character, and if that then applied account wide, your desire to contribute to guild content that isn't pushing gearing your character drops substantially. However, if you have an alt that's 80, yeah you probably will want to join in on that Blackrock Caverns run being put together. Otherwise you're a jaded 85 guildie who has variable interest in actually helping someone else out (Yes, yes, I'm sure you're the most selfless and helpful person in your guild, but that scenario is too often the rule and not the exception). It could also be gamed to some degree... but I'm not sure to what effect.

As I said initially this can be a weird start conceptually, but while contributing with guild members you're gaining rep, and you'll get access to those rewards from then on. As this is still a fairly new and fairly big and complex system we're watching it very closely, and fully intend to keep adding to it and improving upon it. Your constructive feedback is welcome.
Edited by Bashiok on 1/20/2011 6:18 PM PST
94 Night Elf Druid
01/17/2011 2:08 AMPosted by Loversdeath
The one thing I find stupid above all else is that I can't use my personal guild bank among my multiple mules, except for the one character I made its Leader.

try changing your bank permissions, because it works for me.
100 Tauren Paladin
As far as making it account wide, I'm not a designer, but that definitely hinders, again, the guild participation factor. Once you have guild rep set on one character, and if that then applied account wide, your desire to contribute to guild content that isn't pushing gearing your character drops substantially.

Quoted for truth.

Guild rep stops guild hopping.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]