Guild Rep is 100% Stupid.

(Locked)

85 Tauren Paladin
01/21/2011 11:26 AMPosted by Charsi
"Rep" should just be represented by time in guild.

If all you want to do is stop newcomers being invited, buying things and leaving, put a slow daily creep on their access.

Then you can finely tune how long someone needs to be in a guild before they can access reward X. Simple, easy, doesn't require the player to do anything more than be guilded.

Gain Rep Each Day you log in after Dailies Reset.
90 Troll Hunter
01/21/2011 11:16 AMPosted by Siekai
Maybe the problem with guild rep is that it is call "guild reputation".

rep·u·ta·tion Pronunciation (rpy-tshn)
n.
1. The general estimation in which a person is held by the public.
2. The state or situation of being held in high esteem.
3. A specific characteristic or trait ascribed to a person or thing: a reputation for courtesy.

When the actual use in game is a gating system so that new players do not get access to rewards with no work.

High guild rep does not equal high esteem in the guild. A person with exalted guild rep can do pretty bad things and still have that high rep (not show up for raid/BG times, never help lowbies, never contribute to the GB)

Exactly why I prefer to call it Guild Representation (you representing your guild in the world of Azeroth).
Edited by Sariax on 1/21/2011 11:31 AM PST
90 Gnome Mage
If I'm not mistaken a lot of the problem is the most effective way to meet your rep cap for the week is guild runs. For smaller guilds who have three people on at any given time this is a headache since you can never meet the 4/5 requirement that thankfully is being changed.

It gets worse for a circle of friends such as mine that has funny guild loyalty issues going on. Lets see:
Two friends we run with regularly in a guild they have been with since before wow existed, they almost never do anything with that guild, but loyalty you know.

Three friends in the guild of another friend because he bugged them harder to join his, which he loves because he thinks the name is (funny/awesome,) and even though they kind of want to switch they feel like they would be being mean to the other guy.

Seriously you would think I'm talking about teen drama here...we are all over 30...

End result, two guilds lower level than one could be, a third guild that's got a lot of levels, but across all three guilds...no one has rep above honored.
85 Dwarf Rogue
I don't really feel like guild rep should be something you can grind out in a few days or a week; I'm fine with it being slow. But if you haven't noticed, there are a lot of people who have been in the same guild for years and have done all kinds of stuff in and out of game and got ... nothing.

Now I know Blizzard can't really know that I've contributed money to vent and web hosting or that I've made two cross-country trips for extended guild meet-ups but myself and a few others in this thread were a bit put off because when introduced there wasn't a grandfathering of current guild members.

Now, coming into Cataclysm exalted seems silly but 1000 rep for every year you've been a member (drop in the bucket overall, maximum amount of part-way through friendly) would have been a nice gesture and a nod to those of us who have been with the same guild for a long time (which is what Blizzard wants to encourage).

I'll be exalted soon enough but a token from Blizzard would have been nice.
90 Human Mage
01/21/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Bashiok
I talked with the designers late last night and early this morning on the rep system. There are some improvements being discussed but any changes made would at the earliest, be seen in the first major content patch, if not after. For that reason they aren't changes we're willing to yet discuss as they haven't been implemented, but there is some agreement that additional ways to earn rep, as well as help for PvP'ers and PvP guilds is in order.

Future improvements aside, one basic point we kept coming back to while discussing it was the nature of the system, and the intent and vision for how it should be a part of someone's play time when they log in. First and foremost it is not a system we want to encourage people to grind out by making certain activities either give rep, or give more of it. We realize that this is contrary to what is possible for most NPC rep factions, but this isn't an NPC rep, and it's deliberately different. Secondly, and most importantly, we are ok with this continuing to be a very slow moving rep that you can't quickly progress. These are bonuses, and not requirements to ensure a fun or properly progressing gameplay experience. The gain of guild rep is something that is intended to happen slowly over time, and not something you can focus your efforts on to push toward the cap as quick as possible. Obviously there are ways to make it quicker, and actions you can take to try to build it up, but as many of you are aware they still aren't always extremely lucrative. This is intentional.

To reiterate my first paragraph, we do have some improvements planned in the way of adding or improving the way rep is gained in certain situations. We do not however feel the system is performing beneath or beyond the intent and design, and are mostly happy with the rate in which it's being gained. Slowly but surely.

Thank you for taking the time out to let us know that you guys are actually working on improving the system. However, I noticed one large thing you kind of skipped over a couple days ago:

01/20/2011 12:27 PMPosted by Shalura

That's only a guild in technical definition that you got a charter signed. To design around such off-topic uses of guild banks would likely destroy the base intent. And, as you said, the experience bar has moved. You do have the ability to level it up, although it will be slower.

You know, if you guys allowed people to purchase additional tabs for their personal banks, you'd probably get rid of a huge amount of personal bank guilds. I know I'd drop mine in a heartbeat, even though I've already got 3 tabs.

ps major gold sink

I agree with this suggestion. I personally have a 6 tab bank guild for my, and my husband's alts to level with. Each tab is full of things like crafting mats, cooking mats, rep grind items, lowbie potions etc. All things to help us level our alts. I frankly don't care that we will probably never get our guild to level 2. What I do care about, is the fact that I actually have to buy 6 tabs and the signatures of random people (And yes, I did have to buy them, 20g a pop) just to have enough room for everything. If personal banks were larger, most small bank "guilds" wouldn't even exist anymore.
90 Draenei Paladin
01/21/2011 11:29 AMPosted by Dalamara
My question for the OP is, did you not do quests to level to 85? That is how i got my guild rep to honored.

Guild rep is weekly cap. I leveled in under a week doing mostly random dungeons. So my rep was friendly at 85. For some your method works. For others not so.
Edited by Siekai on 1/21/2011 11:44 AM PST
85 Dwarf Hunter
01/17/2011 3:37 AMPosted by Shaelis
enormohuge

I reserve the right to use this word in the future. Thank you for it.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/21/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Bashiok
First and foremost it is not a system we want to encourage people to grind out by making certain activities either give rep, or give more of it. We realize that this is contrary to what is possible for most NPC rep factions, but this isn't an NPC rep, and it's deliberately different. Secondly, and most importantly, we are ok with this continuing to be a very slow moving rep that you can't quickly progress. These are bonuses, and not requirements to ensure a fun or properly progressing gameplay experience.

It seems like it would be better overall to look at guild rep exactly the same as an NPC faction, at least from a player standpoint, not necessarily from a design perspective. In essence that is exactly how it plays right now. Sure, there's no tabard so you can grind out the rep, but there are lots of NPC factions that have no tabard and only allow you to do dailies to gain reputation, so are in essence gated just the same way.

Just like those factions that you might have to do dailies to max out your rep with, this is also OPTIONAL... if you don't think it's worth it, don't worry about it. I haven't seen anything that rep is going to be required for that is game changing. Fun yes, required to do a good job in the game, not at all...

Best part of the whole thing, if you just keep doing stuff in game you will keep getting rep, so unlike having to travel to Ogri'la every day to do the same quests over and over you can instead do what you enjoy and eventually get there. Wanting it to be easier or different is understandable but it doesn't make it "stupid" just because you don't happen to like it.
90 Undead Warlock
01/21/2011 11:14 AMPosted by Desuka
Well, I'm cool with the idea of not intending Guild rep to be grinded for.... but right now it all feels arbitrary.

Like I play a lot but I'm still 2k towards revered with my guild when I've been playing since Cata was released, yet other members in my guild are some rep into revered towards exalted already.

And I have no idea why or how I could have even kept up with them.

It's called dailies brah...I do 25 dailies a day and I am nearly halfway to exalted with my guild....this isn't including dungeons, raids, etc. which also add to my rep.
85 Tauren Paladin
01/21/2011 11:38 AMPosted by Delinia

I agree with this suggestion. I personally have a 6 tab bank guild for my, and my husband's alts to level with. Each tab is full of things like crafting mats, cooking mats, rep grind items, lowbie potions etc. All things to help us level our alts. I frankly don't care that we will probably never get our guild to level 2. What I do care about, is the fact that I actually have to buy 6 tabs and the signatures of random people (And yes, I did have to buy them, 20g a pop) just to have enough room for everything. If personal banks were larger, most small bank "guilds" wouldn't even exist anymore.

My bank is full with Memorible items from BC and Wotlk, plus My offspec gear whick now leaves no room for Mats =(
Edited by Twistedelmo on 1/21/2011 11:47 AM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
We need Allied guilds in this guild reputation program.

My Guild, Knights of War is a leveling guild that has been around for 5 years. We are specifically linked with our Raid guild, Forgotten Redemption on Bronzebeard. I am the GM of Knights of War, and I Raid with Forgotten Redemption. We are basically one and the same guild. Our new 85's go over to Forgotten to raid. This serves two purpose's. We have a bank for leveling junk, and we have a bank for Raid flasks, food, etc. We can turn on the Guild repair function in one guild and leave it off in the other. It has worked very well up until now.

Now I can take my raid toon and go over to Forgotten Redemption, except I promised the past GM I would not take this toon out of the guild. If I do this I will lose all my guild reputation that I have worked hard to gain, and have to start over. We are already losing members from out leveling guild to our Raid guild for achievements.

It is extremely hard to recruit new members for our leveling guild. I have attempted for days to recruit and have had little success. Our guild is level 9, and you would think we could recruit. If we continue to lose our low levels to our raid guild this guild will die.

With this achievement system, I can not gain the Guild achievements when I raid. It's either leave my guild, which I have worked hard to maintain, or dont get the achieves. Since I can not, or will not leave this guild I am SOL.

I know there are many many guilds out there that are in the same boat. We ARE the same guild, we are allied in every way. If you can add some way for two guilds to be allied by both GM's stating that or clicking a button in the guild control that would be wonderful. There has to be some way to continue our long standing operation procedures. It does not matter for the low level characters, but for Raiders it does.

I see where you were headed with the guild achievement thing, and I think it was a wonderful addition. It just leaves out some variables that should be addressed. Please consider this.
90 Tauren Druid
I'm just curious, if I leave my guild and come back later will I retain my guild rep?
82 Blood Elf Priest
I find it rather odd that solo questing dailies/quests give guild xp/rep, yet team PvP Battlegrounds (non rated ones) give nothing. You could level from 10-85 in BGs yet receive ZERO guild xp or rep. That's just...odd.

It would be nice if wearing a guild tabard gave some small edge like 5% to guild rep/xp, I don't think I've ever had the desire to wear once since vanilla. (Don't be trollish and say no Blood Elves in vanilla--I have 15+ characters at level 80+).

It does rather discriminate based on guild size. The fact that guild recruitment almost always display their guild level is a sign of a potential problem.
4 Undead Priest
I just wish all your alts got the same rep level.

I've got an alt I'm leveling up ... all I want to do is get to friendly so I can give him that shroud that gives you a free hearth to SW every 8 hours. Would be swell to have while leveling.

At the rate my alt is gaining rep, though, I'm pretty sure he'll be 80, and not need it anymore by the time he's friendly with the guild. :(
Reputation aside. What about the fact that my guild lost a whole level on other guilds due to the bug (that has been acknowledged as a bug) that didn't reset our daily xp cap?

Can we get this fixed as well?
Edited by Guildenstern on 1/21/2011 12:01 PM PST
90 Worgen Druid
Here's what I don't get. This guild rep doesn't really help the guilds that have a lower number of members in them. Everything is based on the larger guilds, which is fine, but What about he guilds that have less than 50 people in them. Shouldn't there be a scaling system for the rep aquired based on guild size?

With the current system in place, it takes a smaller guild a lot longer to grind up the rep for the perks. I'm not implying that Blizz should increase the rep gained so people can get their perks faster and leave the guild to join a larger one. But i guess that'll happen no matter what.

I'm just wondering if there are any plans in the furture to help out the smaller guilds that aren't hardcore raiders...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]