Guild Rep is 100% Stupid.

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Druid
[...] your design of using an arbitrary number to dictate what I can and cannot have in a guild [...] makes absolutely no sense [...]. That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen implemented in wow currently.
In the list of negative things about Cataclysm, that doesn't even appear anywhere on the horizon, much less somehow rate such aggrandized importance.

01/17/2011 2:06 AMPosted by Worgandonor
Not time spent doing dumb, absolutely useless quests.
Ninety-nine out one hundred quests in Cataclysm aren't dumb. Virtually all provide gold. Quests aren't useless, you just appear not to like them.

I see you didn't mention the caps on rep earnings, especially at the beginning of the game when people were leveling up. Now that was an issue that hurt people all over.
85 Goblin Shaman
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with how the guild rep is working at this time. If you don't want to put in the time and effort to advance your reputation with your guild, then that is your prerogative. You just don't get the perks that those of us who enjoy doing things with our guild mates get, they are Perks,! not a given right because you happen to be on the roster. Some of us enjoy doing heroics with the guild, daily's, and questing in general. Go back and check out all the new quests, some of them are just plain great. Like the Star Wars tribute in Winterspring. It's a game just enjoy it.
90 Tauren Druid
First, I'm going to admit to not reading all the posts, but mainly Bashiok's responses via the Blue Tracker. However, I wanted to throw out an idea for another way to gain rep through crafting professions.

Crafted items usually have the crafter's name on the item. (For example, my relic says "Made by Caelya") If it's possible, when you craft something for a guild member, if they equip the item, the person who made the item gets a certain amount of guild rep for it. Thus you're not getting rep for making an item that you can post on the auction house and make money off of, but ensuring that a guild member is equipping the item and making it soulbound and thus only vendorable. For gems, each gem that is socketed would give the gem crafter a certain amount of rep if socketed to a guild member's soulbound item. This would only give rep for gems filling an empty socket, not replacing a gem. For elixirs/flasks, a certain amount of rep would be rewarded for a guild member using a fellow guildie's elixir flask for the first pop in a unique dungeon/raid ID. All elixirs/flasks after that would not grant rep until entering a new dungeon. Fine tuning may need to be done to try and prevent cheating the system, but those are just a few ideas. =)
90 Draenei Paladin
May I remind people that the only thing that guild rep provides that is useful on low level alts (assuming you a getting your rep on your main) is what?

a once per 8hrs vendor that follows you around for a few mins.

a once per day 5 min access to the guild bank.

Both of those can be achieved with a mailbox and your main/another alt in a city or the Engineering skill.

Everything else is vanity. You should expect to grind for vanity on every character. If I want a motorcycle on all my character I have to pay 12K gp each. If I want the loremaster title on all my characters I have to do all the quests on all my characters.

As for gaining little rep when you are lower level. Well 9000 quests is alot. but by the time you are doing 9000 quests you will be into cata stuff and will be getting more rep per quest. It doesn't take long anymore to reach 80 and guild perks such as 10% more xp help (that is one of the earlier ones. Even my small guild has it.).

If you started a guild just for the guild bank then kicked out all your signees just because you never wanted to throw anything out or share it with anyone else or help anyone else out. Well I have not love for you. I don't care if you get guild perks or not. Selfishness should not be rewarded.
100 Draenei Shaman
But that still doesn't answer the question of what item are you missing that you would like Blizzard to give you sooner?
For those in question? The heirlooms and/or teleportation items would be quite beneficial.

If you remember back to LK days you could only get access to heirloom items if you had an 80 and were willing to spend badges on them. So in the last xpac you need to get a max level then farm up the badges and buy the items. In Cata all you need to do is get honored in your guild. It really doesn't take that long. Took about a month to do.

Also not all quest give 1 rep. Most give much much more and if you doing 85 level quest of daily most give 25 to 40.
100 Dwarf Paladin
Edited by Gunnerflux on 1/21/2011 1:03 PM PST
85 Tauren Druid
01/20/2011 12:53 PMPosted by Bashiok
The system as it is is cumbersome, inflexible, and just poorly thought out. The decision of who gets access to the rewards should be made by the guild leader. They should decide what level of rewards the members of the guild should get by assigning the members different ranks. The ranks then determine the level of reward the member can buy.

This would solve all of Blizzard's "concerns" about new members being able to get access to rewards before they've "contributed" to the guild. Besides what business is it of Blizzard's if a guild wants to let new member get access to all the rewards? This is a false concern and what's really going on is that Blizzard wants people to waste time doing pointless time sinks. Don't be fooled by their false claims of wanting to prevent undeserving new members from getting access to guild rewards.

Sounds great, here's how that would work out: I have an awesome end-game progression guild. We're level 25. You give me 20k gold, I send you an invite and promote you to the highest officer rank. You buy whatever rewards you want, and then leave.

This is not the intent of the system.

Hello Bashiok :), we understand where you're coming from and I haven't really read into many posts in this thread, however I don't see the real plot hole being argued here. You join a guild, and achieve say the Dark Phoenix Mount with them from the ground up, you being there in the grit with them, however unable to purchase the unlocked reward till you get to exalted, so you work towards this goal and end up getting into a one-sided argument with say an ill-mannered rl friend of the guild officer in the process, whom ends up kicking you from the guild. Where's the reward for contributing to the guild then? You've just contributed to the guild with the most grand of rewards. A casual member who flies under the radar will be able to purchase the reward eventually, after reaching exalted while not contributing to the guild at all and you are wiped of all benefits, rewards and perks. I'm confused how this falls under the intent of the system. :)

Cheers
52 Human Hunter
This just in... WoW is pure senseless grinding. Story at 11!

When I think back to Wrath... and when I dinged 80 on my rogue... he had already reached close to Revered with Ebon Blade; was only honored with Sons of Hodir; exalted with Alliance Vanguard and others were tossed somewhere in the mix.

Gaining exalted with all of the factions was just as grindy but if I recall... most had some sort of daily quests you could do to help you along.

Cataclysm just doesn't have this so players likely feel like this expansion is more of a grind than the last. If we had a variety of daily quests, things might not be so bad - as it stands now the limitation on number of daily quests that can be completed impacts the amount of guild rep you can gain as well. Lower level quests reward NO guild reputation, so what's a maxed out toon to do?

Daily and weekly caps are nothing more than artificial gates designed to lengthen the amount of time you play. It feels as though WoW is taking this approach because there isn't a lot to do in Cataclysm. Instead of providing more options for things to do you are restricted to the amount of things that can contribute your progress. I would venture to say this approach will keep your addicts playing longer but will frustrate others and give them enough cause to just stop grinding.
Maybe you should have made something that can recognize how long you've ALREADY been in your guild. I've been in my guild for two years. I would be in it with any perks or not. In fact, a majority of the people in my guild have been. We're not a high turnover guild.

This whole system seems to be made for some kind of brand new and unseeingly large raiding guild. I was, somehow, supposed to hit exalted with my guild in the time it takes to go from 80 to 85, to make sure we get the related achievements? Perhaps stop all leveling so I can mindlessly grind, making me forget that it's only a five level jump? Hope that I don't skin something that makes me ding, so I lose the chance?

Imma tell you a little story about my guild. First and foremost, we're a roleplaying guild on a roleplaying server. We don't expect, nor are asking for Blizz to cater to our preferred methods of game use. We're happy to plod along, doing our own thing, getting there when we get there. We're a fairly tight-knit group of people, again, many who have been in the guild for quite awhile, and due to our friendly environment, our new folks generally stick around as well.

We don't want the high end perks, we wouldn't have a use for them. But we do have people who are more PvE or PvP focused. We ARE doing all we can to get some of the lower end perks, so our FRIENDS in the guild (and ourselves) can have a better time leveling alts, questing, etc. Isn't that the whole point of this guild reward system? So the fact that despite being in the same guild for ages, most of the things we do count for nothing because we didn't grind and grind, instead of leveling, is really frustrating. How is it even possible that the Guild Master starts out neutral?
Edited by Lilliat on 1/21/2011 1:08 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Mage
[/quote]
3)Making guild bank tabs availble to certain Reputation schools (Friendly, honored etc)[/quote]

I agree with this that there should be the same balance its just the same with guild rank officers should have both the rank and rep to be able to use but also they should allow the choice so if a guild would not like that the GM can go in to the guild bank tab and click a button that turns it on or off. that would work for large and small guilds. Also it would keep people form ninjaing out of guild bank. for example a new person is invited in to the guild and becomes firendly with the guild and the tab is allowing only friendly then they would be able to clean house but if you had a rank and rep combo then there would be more sicurity.
85 Goblin Mage
What i dont like about the way rep is gained is, i just changed guilds and i was revered in the guild i left, i get into my new one and i have to start over on the rep which i understand. But why cant the cap be whatever your rep was when u left the other guild.
90 Draenei Paladin
01/21/2011 12:55 PMPosted by Caelya
First, I'm going to admit to not reading all the posts, but mainly Bashiok's responses via the Blue Tracker. However, I wanted to throw out an idea for another way to gain rep through crafting professions.

Crafted items usually have the crafter's name on the item. (For example, my relic says "Made by Caelya") If it's possible, when you craft something for a guild member, if they equip the item, the person who made the item gets a certain amount of guild rep for it. Thus you're not getting rep for making an item that you can post on the auction house and make money off of, but ensuring that a guild member is equipping the item and making it soulbound and thus only vendorable. For gems, each gem that is socketed would give the gem crafter a certain amount of rep if socketed to a guild member's soulbound item. This would only give rep for gems filling an empty socket, not replacing a gem. For elixirs/flasks, a certain amount of rep would be rewarded for a guild member using a fellow guildie's elixir flask for the first pop in a unique dungeon/raid ID. All elixirs/flasks after that would not grant rep until entering a new dungeon. Fine tuning may need to be done to try and prevent cheating the system, but those are just a few ideas. =)

First Elixers and flasks don't remember their makers otherwise they wouldn't be stackable.

Second, as a pervious poster pointed out, what then stops the person you gave the item to, to equip from disenchanting it and putting the mats on the auction house imeadiately thus making some gold and increasing in guild rep.

While I would love that those be the ways of giving out rep, because they actually help the guild; it is unlikely those would work.
90 Draenei Paladin
01/21/2011 1:06 PMPosted by Magusjager

3)Making guild bank tabs availble to certain Reputation schools (Friendly, honored etc)[/quote]

I agree with this that there should be the same balance its just the same with guild rank officers should have both the rank and rep to be able to use but also they should allow the choice so if a guild would not like that the GM can go in to the guild bank tab and click a button that turns it on or off. that would work for large and small guilds. Also it would keep people form ninjaing out of guild bank. for example a new person is invited in to the guild and becomes firendly with the guild and the tab is allowing only friendly then they would be able to clean house but if you had a rank and rep combo then there would be more sicurity.[/quote]

And guilds where alts of mains that are given access under the current system would be forced to use your unreasonable system.
The system of access to guildbank tabs is good and shouldn't be changed. It is based on rank in the guild which is different then character reputations.
85 Draenei Priest
01/21/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Bashiok
I talked with the designers late last night and early this morning on the rep system. There are some improvements being discussed but any changes made would at the earliest, be seen in the first major content patch, if not after. For that reason they aren't changes we're willing to yet discuss as they haven't been implemented, but there is some agreement that additional ways to earn rep, as well as help for PvP'ers and PvP guilds is in order.

Future improvements aside, one basic point we kept coming back to while discussing it was the nature of the system, and the intent and vision for how it should be a part of someone's play time when they log in. First and foremost it is not a system we want to encourage people to grind out by making certain activities either give rep, or give more of it. We realize that this is contrary to what is possible for most NPC rep factions, but this isn't an NPC rep, and it's deliberately different. Secondly, and most importantly, we are ok with this continuing to be a very slow moving rep that you can't quickly progress. These are bonuses, and not requirements to ensure a fun or properly progressing gameplay experience. The gain of guild rep is something that is intended to happen slowly over time, and not something you can focus your efforts on to push toward the cap as quick as possible. Obviously there are ways to make it quicker, and actions you can take to try to build it up, but as many of you are aware they still aren't always extremely lucrative. This is intentional.

To reiterate my first paragraph, we do have some improvements planned in the way of adding or improving the way rep is gained in certain situations. We do not however feel the system is performing beneath or beyond the intent and design, and are mostly happy with the rate in which it's being gained. Slowly but surely.

Is this the same design team, who gated out Sunwell?

Is this the same design team, who made Lich King gated out with 'buffs' ?

I can go on about how gating doesn't work, and it makes your customer base go else where, lose interest *that's where I am at now* or sadly just stop doing the 'grind'.

I understand you have an limited role here, but doesnt your R&D team, screen this type of nonsense out, before it becomes a live setting?

lot of questions, but this isn't going to kill my guild, but for the smaller, non pve, non pvp, it will make them non-existence. because you, blizzard, want to control how players attain pixeled items in a game they pay for.
85 Blood Elf Mage
It'd be cool to have a system where guild members boost other members' reputation of their choice, perhaps daily, to create an actual sense of reputation within a guild.

For example, on the roster page next to a person's name, you have an option to boost that player's reputation by a set amount once per day.

This way you would need an incredible amount of players to support you to "exploit" the system, but even that presumed exploitation would be valid as the boosted player would obviously be exalted within that guild.
90 Tauren Druid
01/21/2011 1:07 PMPosted by Siekai
First Elixers and flasks don't remember their makers otherwise they wouldn't be stackable.

They could try and add a feature where if you make a consumable such as a flask or elixir, you can stamp your brand on it and then it's only stackable with ones created by you.

Second, as a pervious poster pointed out, what then stops the person you gave the item to, to equip from disenchanting it and putting the mats on the auction house imeadiately thus making some gold and increasing in guild rep.

That's a fair point. I was simply trying to throw out some ideas (and I admitted to not reading a lot of the responses in this thread). I'll throw out the idea of stamping again for crafted items. Any items that have been stamped for possible guild rep gain can no longer be disenchanted. That'll make it similar to rep vendor gear that can't be disenchanted (I believe) and I think badge vendor gear can't be sold to any vendors for money to make a profit.
90 Orc Hunter

dude... that's insanely stupid as a comment. This guild has 200+ members. The day this guild started it started with 40+ accounts. And the time I have spent trying to make this guild work has been nothing about the world... it's been about our guild being a place where people enjoy being in this game.

Then why do you care what your guild rep is if folks are enjoying themselves in your guild?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]