Guild Rep is 100% Stupid.

(Locked)

85 Worgen Druid
Sweet, I hope the pvp rep changes come soon enough. If they worry about afkers they could have it require you get like 5 HKs or something.
85 Human Paladin
[quote="18690285343"]
Try doing random heroics with a guild group (4 members)... and see what magically happens when you down a boss.

Yeah, i know, it's hard to understand the mechanic of doing things with guildies to get guild rep.

I know it's also hard to understand the OP's post in that he says he has a pvp guild and doesn't want to do a lot of pve.
90 Orc Hunter
If you're at a certain guild level and you are questing killing mobs there is a certain % of money going to the guild bank. You're also helping work towards achievements.
90 Orc Hunter
01/21/2011 12:51 PMPosted by Wardrunk
I hate my guild we dont raid dont really do bgs.I dont leave cause i dont want to start the guild rep grind again :(

I would rather start the grind over than stick with a guild that is not leveling.
90 Draenei Paladin
01/21/2011 1:19 PMPosted by Twixnstix

This doesn't address anything for people who don't want to be forced to play a main in some mega guild. My guild is my characters. Not only because of the bank, but because I don't want to be another "dope on the roster," because I don't want to be "that resto druid" for all of the expansion. Currently I have 2 85s, and I would like to finish leveling all of my characters to the 85. If I go and join a guild, I will have to pick one of those characters to be my main. I don't want a main. I want to play whichever character I want to play that day. And if I am my own GM, I can do that. As a result, if I want to do a heroic, it isn't a guild group. If I want to raid, I have to try and find a pug (which it seems is going to be a lot more difficult than it was during WotLK) and it won't be a guild group. If I find a group of people to do rated BGs with, it won't be a guild group. So once I've done my quests, I don't have any way to get guild rep.

You say guild rep is supposed to show contributions you have made to a guild. Let's say its 6 months from now. There are level 25 guilds left and right, and they have all the achievements unlocked. I join one of them. I spend the 3 months grinding my rep to exalted. How is that contributing to a guild that is already maxed out?

What guild rep really does is punishes players who don't want to play mains, or deal with guild drama, or are just happy doing our own thing on our own time. I feel like because I choose to play different than the guy in mega guild, that I am a lesser player. That I count less than someone else. That my opinion and game play is irrelevant. I am starting to wonder if it is even worth investing my time into the game anymore.

There is a big difference between a 1 person guild bank. and a 50 person guild and a 200 person guild. I've never been pressured to play this character only in my guild. I support two characters at 85 and another at 65 currently leveling up. I have nothing but support on alts. I chose this paladin as the one I play the most because if find it the most fun but I could decide to change tomorrow. Some guilds WILL force you into a main. Those aren't a good fit for you then find a better one. My guild has only about 20 people in it and their alts. We don't gain guild levels very fast but fast enough to keep us happy. What do you want? I used to be in a 200 person guild. I didn't like it. I was a random face no one cared about.
100 Blood Elf Paladin

Sounds great, here's how that would work out: I have an awesome end-game progression guild. We're level 25. You give me 20k gold, I send you an invite and promote you to the highest officer rank. You buy whatever rewards you want, and then leave.

This is not the intent of the system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they left the guild, they would be unable to use any of the items they bought. I know that when I switched guilds, I lost the ability to summon my guild page. I can't imagine it would be too terribly difficult to simply remove the ability to use your item until the guild you currently reside in has unlocked it. "Error: Your guild has not earned this item"
90 Troll Mage
The problem with the system atm is two fold. One, it's seriously bugged. With a cap of 3500 per week, some people hit exalted on the second week. Two, a cap of 3500 is WAY too low. That's a 13 week rep grind or exactly 1/4th of a year. All the best rewards are the ones you have access too instantly (the talents/perks). If there's anybody out there that's willing to join another guild because they've unlocked an achievement reward, then spend a month grinding it out -- then they deserve it. One month would be plenty -- but 3 months? That's crazy. That's just pointless frustration. "Oh, hey, we just unlocked yet another guild reward that nobody except the guy who was bugged will be able to use for 2 months. Yippee! What fun!"

Not only is the cap too low, but just hitting the too-low cap is too much of a chore. Too many legitimate guild contributions count for nothing, while those things that do count count for too little. Even doing 50 Vashj'ir quests last week I still didn't quite make my cap (most of them only awarded me 12 rep each). I also cleared 12/12 raid dungeon bosses and capped my Valor points with guild heroic dungeons. Not enough? Well I also hit my conquest point capped doing guild pvp -- but guild PvP counts for nada.

So what did I need to do to make my cap? Dailies, or excess dungeons beyond the ones that award valor points. Either way, something which benefits me in no way and benefits my guild in no way either. I had no problems getting the caps until I hit exalted with TB, and that's when I started to fall short. This is so ridiculously grindy. My contribution to guild achievements counts for nothing (I never pass by a pool without fishing it, so we can get a bit closer to our fish feast). All my PvP activities (arena/rated bgs) are done entirely with guild members and count for nothing. Does this reflect good design?

The entire guild rep (and guild exp) system reeks of untested, last-minute slapdashery. During the entirety of beta, people leveled in these systems at an accelerated rate for "testing purposes" which means you never really got a sense of just how ridiculously slow both systems are (not to mention the last second change to guild achievements).

And then there are the bugs. There are guilds levels ahead of the theoretical maximum (meaning they didn't get reset like everyone else after the achievement hotfix). Players who hit exalted in the first week despite everyone else having a 3500 rep cap. All the realm first "Working Together as a Team" feats went to guilds in the second or third week of cataclysm, despite it being mathematically impossible to be honored until the start of the 5th week. And even with the removal of the cap at guild level 23, the realm first guilds will be still be the guilds who hit level 23 nearly a week early because they were inexplicably allowed to keep experience earned from guild achievements while everyone else was not.

In short, this stuff is just broken. It's bugs. It's bad balance. It's poor implementation. And while I recognize that much of what is in this thread is simple whining or poorly-considered suggestions, it would be nice to see Blizzard acknowledge this fundamental fact. The system isn't doing what it should do both because it wasn't planned well (design issues) and because it wasn't executed correctly (bugs).
Edited by Faxmonkey on 1/21/2011 1:46 PM PST
90 Orc Hunter
This doesn't address anything for people who don't want to be forced to play a main in some mega guild. My guild is my characters. Not only because of the bank, but because I don't want to be another "dope on the roster," because I don't want to be "that resto druid" for all of the expansion. Currently I have 2 85s, and I would like to finish leveling all of my characters to the 85. If I go and join a guild, I will have to pick one of those characters to be my main. I don't want a main. I want to play whichever character I want to play that day. And if I am my own GM, I can do that. As a result, if I want to do a heroic, it isn't a guild group. If I want to raid, I have to try and find a pug (which it seems is going to be a lot more difficult than it was during WotLK) and it won't be a guild group. If I find a group of people to do rated BGs with, it won't be a guild group. So once I've done my quests, I don't have any way to get guild rep.

You say guild rep is supposed to show contributions you have made to a guild. Let's say its 6 months from now. There are level 25 guilds left and right, and they have all the achievements unlocked. I join one of them. I spend the 3 months grinding my rep to exalted. How is that contributing to a guild that is already maxed out?

What guild rep really does is punishes players who don't want to play mains, or deal with guild drama, or are just happy doing our own thing on our own time. I feel like because I choose to play different than the guy in mega guild, that I am a lesser player. That I count less than someone else. That my opinion and game play is irrelevant. I am starting to wonder if it is even worth investing my time into the game anymore.

You shouldn't feel that way. That's like saying you're a lesser player because you don't PVP and can't get the same gear and perks that PVPers do. Blizz has added an additional layer of gameplay, some folks like it and some folks don't. Should I complain about not being able to get a piece of gear in Uldum because I don't feel like doing the grind for rep? It sounds like to me this doesn't fit in your style of gameplay and if you want what is offered by guild perks, change your style of gameplay.

I have the same problems a lot of folks here have (I have 4 folks in one "mega" guild and the rest our in my own "vanity" guild). So I share the pain, but it is how I've chosen to play the game and not something Blizzard has forced me to do. I either accept that my gameplay isn't going to allow me to get certain things or I change how I play.

90 Orc Hunter
01/21/2011 1:35 PMPosted by Kupwned

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they left the guild, they would be unable to use any of the items they bought. I know that when I switched guilds, I lost the ability to summon my guild page. I can't imagine it would be too terribly difficult to simply remove the ability to use your item until the guild you currently reside in has unlocked it. "Error: Your guild has not earned this item"

You can use the items you purchased. If you rejoin the guild your rep remains the same, however if you join another ALL guild rep is reset.
90 Night Elf Hunter
My Guild, Forgotten Redemption (FR) is a raiding guild that has been around for a few years. We are specifically linked with our leveling guild, Knights of War (KOW) buy useing Guild 2Guild addon so we can chat togeather on Bronzebeard. I am the GM of FR, With our sister guild we share many things and have a great time doing so. We are basically one and the same guild. However with the new changes and guild lvling system we have hit a snag, as Shadayah has said . Our Guilds serves two purpose's. We have a bank for leveling, and we have a bank for Raiding flasks, food, etc. We can turn on the Guild repair function in one guild and leave the other off. It has worked very well up until now. OK with that said here is just an IDEA give the guild masters the ability to merge the guilds with just the click of a button and naming the guild they are linked to. This will give 2 or more guild the ability to merge together and still be apart of our own guilds at the same time. So when KOW and FR raid together we can still get our guild rep and achievements Like I said just an IDEA think about it.
Edited by Woolverrean on 1/21/2011 1:49 PM PST
100 Gnome Mage
This doesn't address anything for people who don't want to be forced to play a main in some mega guild. My guild is my characters. Not only because of the bank, but because I don't want to be another "dope on the roster," because I don't want to be "that resto druid" for all of the expansion.

Okay, so be in a guild where you can rotate characters? There are plenty of guilds where people have alts or equally geared characters to fill whatever role is needed at a specific time.

Currently I have 2 85s, and I would like to finish leveling all of my characters to the 85. If I go and join a guild, I will have to pick one of those characters to be my main. I don't want a main. I want to play whichever character I want to play that day. And if I am my own GM, I can do that. As a result, if I want to do a heroic, it isn't a guild group. If I want to raid, I have to try and find a pug (which it seems is going to be a lot more difficult than it was during WotLK) and it won't be a guild group. If I find a group of people to do rated BGs with, it won't be a guild group. So once I've done my quests, I don't have any way to get guild rep.

That is your choice to not find a guild that fits your needs. The guild rewards are meant to reward a group of people working together to progress a guild. Not for a single player. It is just another avenue and type of game play WOW offers. You have chosen to isolate yourself and not play with others, therefore you aren't going to get the group benefits.

There are other ways to contribute to a guild. Things that give guild rep are those type of things. Doing daily quests, running dungeons, etc...all contribute to the guild funds. Also, if you think 25 is going to be the max level or that more rewards aren't going to follow...you are fooling yourself.

What guild rep really does is reward players who play a multi-player game with other players. Guild drama happens in some guilds yes...in every guild? Hardly. It is about finding a guild that is right for you. Now if you are the cause of the drama, not saying you are but personalities can clash, then that is a situation where you aren't finding the right fit.

Again...Multi-player game. Before this, there was nothing that rewarded guilds outside of the ability to do raids. However, people have been able to just farm dungeons for the raid gear so the need to be in a raiding guild fell off. The LFG group makes it easier (no DPS queue QQ please) to find groups than it use to be. If anything, the single player has had it really good before and is still seeing benefits of it. It was time the larger organized groups - guilds - got a little something too.
90 Orc Hunter
01/21/2011 1:35 PMPosted by Tubalcain

ps - any word on a fix for the glitch where the daily experience doesn't reset? It's hit our guild several times, and we cannot get an answer as to if this will ever stop.

I believe I saw this in patch notes as either being hot fixed or fixed in 4.0.6.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The most frustrating thing for me and my guild is that since I finished questing in every cataclysm zone, my Guild Rep has stagnated and since the people in my guild all reached level 85 and mostly stopped questing in favor of leveling professions and running dungeons, our guild experience has also stagnated.

This happens despite the fact that I am continuously improving my character across all three paladin specs and leveling professions and that my guildies are doing the same.

It would seem the solution for leveling our guild is to level as many alts as possible or just invite any random 70+ guy to boost our guild's daily experience gains.
90 Tauren Druid
My guild spent over 4 hours...with 4 people mind you. Killing over 20k critters to finish off the achievement for the pet only to be smacked in the face that we had to be exalted. Even the GM was like -_-
85 Blood Elf Hunter
From Bash: First and foremost it is not a system we want to encourage people to grind out by making certain activities either give rep, or give more of it.

And yet that is exactly what the current system does, it encourages grinding.

Because it is so painfully slow to earn rep, because of the limited number of ways to earn rep, and because you have to start over if you join a new guild FOR ANY REASON (GM disbands, guild not progressing, psycho GM) many people feel they must log on and do activities they would not otherwise do just to earn rep.

So instead of a well polished and fun addition to WoW, we've been given something that seems unfinished, extremely grindy, not fun at all, and mostly just frustrating.

Fail.
Edited by Artiimis on 1/21/2011 1:54 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]