Azeroth: A Small Problem

85 Blood Elf Warlock
Moo
My only criticism is that Azeroth's gravity is not the same as Earth's, I would say it is significantly less, closer to Mars' gravity than Earth's.

Our jump height, our ability to survive falls from extreme heights, the laughably small wings of flying mounts and their ability to maintain their position by flapping, the ease with which we, and our targets, are knocked up or back.

Lower gravity would also help explain our ability to run marathons in full plate armor, it simply isn't as heavy as it looks.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Blizzard theme-park anyone? :P

Here Here!

That would be awesome.

[IDEA]
WoW Themepark
-Pay employees [-$]
-Lower cost per month of play to $5 [-$]
-Get tons of traffic [+$$$$]
-Profit?

(And all the hardcore RP'rs would get a awesome job, imagine

"Hey Bill, what do you do for a living?"
"I sell tabards as a Blood Elf Mage"
"What?"
"Yea, and my wife is a Human cooking trainer!"
"O.o"

Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
My only criticism is that Azeroth's gravity is not the same as Earth's, I would say it is significantly less, closer to Mars' gravity than Earth's.

Our jump height, our ability to survive falls from extreme heights, the laughably small wings of flying mounts and their ability to maintain their position by flapping, the ease with which we, and our targets, are knocked up or back.

Lower gravity would also help explain our ability to run marathons in full plate armor, it simply isn't as heavy as it looks.

A fair point, and one my roommate (not the comp-sci one, the other one, Firolyn) pointed out. I tend to disagree for two reasons. First, the jump arches are very similar to the ones present on Earth. With lower gravity (Mars has about 60% the gravity of Earth, iirc), hang-time increases and travel distance before landing increases. Neither of these seem to be the case in Azeroth. Beyond that, since the terminal velocity of our characters is pretty close to Earth standard, either the air pressure is significantly lower than is should be for that gravity, or gravity is near 1 G. In fact, the latter seems indicated by your very point, since reduced air pressure would lead to larger necessary wing-size to maintain the same force.

I actually would theorize that the gravity is around Earth standard, but the air pressure is above normal (hence the slightly slower terminal velocity), and the creatures of Azeroth are simply built stronger overall (hence the higher jump heights and the smaller wings). This would also explain why apparently everyone is butch as they come and built like they are preparing for an Iron Man competition.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
i had already considered it to be very compressed, judging by the fact that you couldnt get from one corner of new york to the other for quite some time, but its about 2 minutes to run from the entrace of org to the farthest point
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
I think i'll have to go with the creatures being stronger as well. That's the only way I can explain a Wyvern carrying a Tauren around flying at 60 mph.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Outland's gotta be pretty teeny too. I wonder, since from Outland, there are other celestial bodies present in the sky, how far away they are.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
HUGE GIANT POST

I'm about as impressed as I've ever been. Way to apply yourself!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
01/11/2011 9:28 PMPosted by Saarzul
It's previously been discussed that the game world you can traverse in World of Warcraft has been compressed both in time and space, for player convenience. The compression ratio is variable and can differ almost infinitely at any point.

^ This. The world of warcraft we see in game is not the real size of the world. A journey through Quel'Thalas, that is, The Bulwark through to the Sunwell (Yes, WPL and EPL are parts of the greater region Quel'Thalas, lrn2lore all you naysayers :P) took months and was a rather epic journey, according to Lore sources.

Nice idea OP, but I think you just wasted a massive effort :O
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
01/11/2011 7:59 PMPosted by Daelyn
Estimating that his is roughly half the distance along a great circle of the planet (of which my route is roughly along, if the we assume that only the oceans have been distorted by the projection), gives an estimated pole-to-pole distance of 25 miles, or a 50 mile circumference. This boils down to an 8 mile radius.

I think this is where you're wrong.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Nice idea OP, but I think you just wasted a massive effort :O

She said she was bored ^-^;
Though usually when I'm bored I go play monster hunter or something XD.
Anyway, I had to sit down and really wrap my brain around this monster, very educational, and fun to read. Thank you very much :D
Edited by Fawne on 1/12/2011 8:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
How is this a problem? Seriously, stop patting yourself on the back for this "discovery". The world WoW is based on is in fact a full sized world. Barely anyone would play a game to scale with a real world. It's clear the maps and world is a microcosm of the actual place. It's a condensed and abbreviated experience, akin to a Disney World ride of sorts, designed to be entertaining and immersive. What exactly is the "small problem" here? This forum is killing my soul.
Reply Quote
27 Goblin Mage
its also a fictional planet, filled with bag dragons, fire elemental lords and so on.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
01/11/2011 9:34 PMPosted by Arcanuss
It's a small world after all.

Oh please anything but THAT.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
01/12/2011 8:26 AMPosted by Elrith
How is this a problem? Seriously, stop patting yourself on the back for this "discovery". The world WoW is based on is in fact a full sized world. Barely anyone would play a game to scale with a real world. It's clear the maps and world is a microcosm of the actual place. It's a condensed and abbreviated experience, akin to a Disney World ride of sorts, designed to be entertaining and immersive. What exactly is the "small problem" here? This forum is killing my soul.

There is no problem, merely a discovery.

Should I get you a rattle to calm your tantrum?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]