Azeroth: A Small Problem

86 Dwarf Paladin
01/12/2011 10:13 AMPosted by Vaelkyri
actually... Titans did it- given the rough calculations of the core density it would not be unreasonable to assume that Azeroth is in fact a 'shell' around some great titan machine-

Azeroth is the titans' version of Deep Thought! See, the Legion was only trying to build a hyperspace bypass.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
The size of the world is an abstraction and could never be represented realistically.
It used to bother me how "small" the world was in the game until I finally just told myself that and made peace with it.

However, that is one major drawback to having the world be seamless - zones actually make a world feel much larger, changing zones indicates an indeterminable traveling time between the specific zones, which are only meant as location highlights.

Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
01/11/2011 9:24 PMPosted by Badrang
wait a minute.....if it's that small, I could see it being possible to create a life-sized version of Azeroth somewhere. Blizzard theme-park anyone? :P

Finally! A real-world Azeroth is possible!

Praise the Light!!
Reply Quote
73 Undead Warrior
01/19/2011 8:09 AMPosted by Haraise
actually... Titans did it- given the rough calculations of the core density it would not be unreasonable to assume that Azeroth is in fact a 'shell' around some great titan machine-

Azeroth is the titans' version of Deep Thought! See, the Legion was only trying to build a hyperspace bypass.

it all makes sense now! ooh! so somewhere in deepholm is the answer to life, the universe, and everything!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Thank you all for a truly enjoyable read.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Well, good thing we can walk through each other.
Reply Quote
01/12/2011 9:27 AMPosted by Tissie
saying you're a physics student is irrelevant, way to brag

It means she's educated (or, at least, getting educated) in the kind of things she's talking about.

What are your qualifications for being a troll?
Edited by Orynn on 1/22/2011 12:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
Please then explain why in an area about what, 5 sq miles for Uldum, I can not find one f'n canopic jar!!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I think you underestimate the power of Azeroths Heroes. Jumping over someone rougly 6 feet tall isn't a feat for someone known to have saved the world countless times over. Also carrying all that armor around has probably built up some serious leg muscle over the years. I wouldnt question dragon flight either, they just do.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I've read that statement before. Maybe the owners manual?
Reply Quote
53 Blood Elf Hunter
01/11/2011 9:51 PMPosted by Daelyn
I think it was about the size of Rhode Island.

Azeroth, assuming the 8 mile radius, would have a surface area (including the oceans) of 804 sq miles. Rhode Island has a total area (including bodies of water) of 1214 sq miles. [Wikipedia:Rhode Island], so Azeroth is about 2/3rds the size, and that's including all that ocean space. Assuming Azeroth is roughly 1/3 land, that only gives about 275 sq miles.

The "population" of WoW...stuffed into an area 2/3 the size of Rhode Island...

/shudder

Also, this thread = epic. <3 And to think I complained about how long it takes to get here and there!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
01/12/2011 9:53 AMPosted by Valanara
I was just considering alternate ways to attempt to relate these distance to the real world.

Note that it is always midday. There is no night or sleep period. There is no dawn or dusk (except in duskwood, where it is always dusk...). From this, let us assume that we see only 1/3 of the day. Note that his makes warriors run in full plate at the much more reasonable 12 minute mile. Still impressive considering the weight of the armor, but far more reasonable than a 4.2 minute mile.

If we also assume that horses in Azeroth have similar limitations to horses on Earth, a horse can travel 20-30 miles per day, less with a heavy load. Ignoring weight on the assumption that all creatures on Azeroth are insanely buff, we will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume 30 miles per day of travel, which we are calling 8 hours, for an average pace of 3.75mph.

Using the speeds of 451% with your flight bonus, and adjusting it down to a an epic land mount speed of +100, this trip would take 21minutes 46 seconds. Using the assumption that we see only 1/3 of the time in game, this becomes one hour, and our distance becomes 3.75 miles.

Note that 3.75 miles is considerably shorter than the 10 miles you estimated. So making adjustments to approach the real world actually makes Azeroth smaller.

One option is to keep the time compression assumption, but use the speeds reported by GetUnitSpeed. In this case we are going 65mph, but the distance becomes three times as large. This is a far cry from the size of the real world, as a 150 mile circumference is not much different from a 50 mile one when compared to a "correct" answer of 24,900.

The sky changes! I've watched a scattered sunset and sun rise before to know that its one of the many features they added.
Reply Quote
Dumbed down version, anyone remember the scene with the marbles at the end of MIB or was it MIB ][? Either way..'nuff said!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
I think the more important issue is that gnomes, being about half the size or less as most other races, can run at the same speed, carry the same weight, and jump equally as high as all other races.

What does this mean, you ask? It means watch your kneecaps if you know what's good for ya!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
The flaw in your calculations has to do with size and scale. Your formulas become less acurate as the mass and or size become large. Taken that into account it becomes obvious that the world is scaled in appearance and no measurements can be trusted without the scale ratio multiplier. With that said, your world could not exist with the calculations you provided and would implode on itself. Since you exist in that world, no implosion has yet occured. Therefore your scale must be in the magnitude of 1000+. Fight on!
Reply Quote
I highly approve of this message :)
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Warlock
01/18/2011 6:04 PMPosted by Artifexcruor
It may just be turtles all the way down...

Only past the elephants.
Reply Quote
lets look at it this way... the only way that Azeroth's does not crush under its own mass(judging by your gravic calculations... is that the titans made Azeroth as a science project, with an anti gravic Device at the core to counter balance the Gravity to mass ratio... in other words.. if Deathwing wanted to he could have simply turned the device off and everyone would die!! thats why the elementals are in deeploom ... to guard the device!!! Am I correct?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
lets look at it this way... the only way that Azeroth's does not crush under its own mass(judging by your gravic calculations... is that the titans made Azeroth as a science project, with an anti gravic Device at the core to counter balance the Gravity to mass ratio

Actually, an anti-grav device of some sort would be identical to simply having less mass, which would defeat the point. What I theorized was in fact a sort of inverted Dyson Sphere, with a small black hole on the interior surrounded by a shell of absolutely mind-boggling tensile strength wrapped around it, just outside the Roche limit. The surface of this shell, assuming everything else worked out and tidal forces were somehow accounted for, would operate very similarly to Earth, at least in certain aspects important to the way the game runs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]