Azeroth: A Small Problem

90 Human Paladin
01/11/2011 9:56 PMPosted by Sayroth

I can see guilds making massive /follow caravans, rotating leaders over several days in order to get to a remote raid instance.

They could call it the Mulgore Trail! I just hope we bring enough Axels and Oxen to last the whole journey...

An excuse to bring that Hunter along after all, trouble is you can only bring back only a small bit of food at a time, and sometimes the animals you kill don't have meat.
Reply Quote
74 Troll Druid
Question: Why take a flight path at a slight curve when you can fly in Azeroth on mounts now. It seems to me you calculations would be more accurate if you just mounted um help space bar ( so you would be above mountains and such) then just flew in a straight line from point a to point B) Not contradicting you ( you did some amazing math) but was just curious about why you didn't do this.
Reply Quote
74 Troll Druid
O and did you include BC in this?
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
I honestly dont know why but this got me to thinking about the science behind portals in the game traveling the world in seconds as far as they would work would be similer wormholes that are said to exist in the universe as a mage you would essentially be creating a tunnel through spacetime

most likely they would be traversable wormholes- which are basically sphereical wormholes
made up of exotic matter(which in this case could be the runes themselves) similer to what Morris Throne came up with

it makes me wonder what traveling through the would be like would it be like going through a tunnel, instantaneous, or would you have to travel through some other small universe first you don't really see it cause of the loading screen

this could also explain how you can go trough time in the game as well(but only if the wormholes were created at the times we're sent first if not they would violate general relitivity
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
could you imagine a to-scale, in game world? if azeroth was really the size of earth? no body would ever...ever... see all the content. even the hardcore guys that go for all the achievements and all of everything, would never see everything the game has to offer.

but it would be pretty bad ass to see a game like that one day.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/25/2011 3:28 PMPosted by Ohnoés
O and did you include BC in this?

outland is not part of azeroth's planet

01/26/2011 7:21 AMPosted by Borthos
could you imagine a to-scale, in game world? if azeroth was really the size of earth? no body would ever...ever... see all the content. even the hardcore guys that go for all the achievements and all of everything, would never see everything the game has to offer.

what would be even cooler is having a computer that u could actually that game world on :P
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
:O what if youre looking at it all wrong? what if azeroth isnt smaller, but the inhabitants and life forms are all larger?!

if all the life and structures on azeroth, were much larger than they are on earth, then that would make more sense than to say azeroth is tiny....wouldnt it?

maybe...

01/26/2011 7:21 AMPosted by Borthos

what would be even cooler is having a computer that u could actually that game world on :P

well, by the time a developer actually creates that kind of accomplishment, im sure technology will be advanced enough for us to have computers that would be able to handle something so massive.
Edited by Borthos on 1/26/2011 7:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
:O oh noes! azeroth is actually the island from LOST!

dudes! we have to find the hatch, so we can push the button.
Edited by Taborlin on 1/26/2011 8:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
Whenever you see something like that, a wizard did it.
Reply Quote
80 Human Death Knight
WoW should literally expand? if thats the point your trying to get across i think i agree.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
01/11/2011 7:59 PMPosted by Daelyn
So...I got bored this evening. I'd been messing around with the calculations for movement speed of a character for a couple days, since characters are rather insanely fast by real-world standard (sustained ~4.2 minute mile in plate gear over rough terrain). I got to looking at the size of the zones, and that lead to me wondering just how big this world we play in is. Well, being an physics/applied math focus, I simply couldn't resist trying to figure it out.

I first started with figuring out how big the world was, on estimate. I used the macro posted on WoWpedia to calculate my speed (it uses the GetUnitSpeed function, which returns the unit (in this case, the player) speed in yards per second). I then flew a route on a slight curve from Booty Bay to the northern coast of Tirisfal Glades, following roughly the route in the screenshot below:

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6184/worldmappath.jpg

I used this route because supposedly Northrend, or more precisely Icecrown Citadel, is at or near the northern pole of Azeroth (based on some of the information provided in the mission chain in WC3 where Illidan tries to nuke the place). I used some of the globe images of Azeroth from around the game world to estimate that the southern pole was roughly half the distance from the southern coast of the EK as ICC was from the northern coast. Flying the route took me 9 minutes 39 seconds, which at an the 31.57 yards per second reported by the macro (~65 MPH), is slightly over 10 miles. Estimating that his is roughly half the distance along a great circle of the planet (of which my route is roughly along, if the we assume that only the oceans have been distorted by the projection), gives an estimated pole-to-pole distance of 25 miles, or a 50 mile circumference. This boils down to an 8 mile radius.

Let me repeat that for you: EIGHT MILES. To put that in perspective, Earth is approximately 4000 miles in radius [Wikipedia:Earth], the moon is slightly over 1000[Wikipedia:Moon], and Phobos, one of the asteroid-like moons of Mars, is 7 miles in radius[Wikipedia:Phobos]. To put this another way, driving around the planet at average highway speed would take around 45 minutes, if you could drive directly. You could fly around the planet at average jetliner cruising speed in roughly 5.5 minutes. If a modern jetliner took off going east from the Khaz'Modan air port, it would fly over the airport again before it reached cruising altitude[hypertextbook.com].

Now, being the physics student I am, my next thought was gravity. Azeroth possesses roughly Earth standard gravity. Falling speed can't be measured by the macro (just returns 0%), but is faster than epic flying by a good amount. I did some rough testing in Stormwind by timing how long it took me to fly up to the flight roof (310% mount with Mount Up, so 451% speed), and I fell (including the ~1 second acceleration time) in roughly 60-70% of the time it took to fly up. That gives a terminal velocity of about 110 mph, pretty close to the 120 mph it is on Earth [hypertextbook.com]. Based on this, I'm estimating similar gravity. Now, an object the size of Azeroth, possessing roughly the same density as Earth, would have a surface gravity of roughly 1/250000th of Earth's (~0.0000039 m/s^2). Since we're assuming a similar gravity, that means that mass of Azeroth must be approximately 250000 times that of Earth's. Earth has a mean density of 5.515 g/cm^3 [Wikipedia:Earth], or 5515 Kg/m^3. Azeroth therefore must have an average density of roughly 1.38 * 10^9 Kg/m^3. 1E9 Kg/m^3 is roughly the density of a white dwarf star [Wikipedia:Density]. Since Azeroth obviously doesn't have a surface temperature of a few thousand Kelvin, the density must not be uniform.

My next prediction would be that Azeroth is composed of a low density by ridiculously high tensile strength shell wrapped around an extremely dense core, somewhat akin to a very very small Dyson Sphere (except that the occupants life on outside instead of the inside). Assuming that ~90% of the mass of the 'planet' is contained within the core, that gives the core a mass of roughly 8.1E17 Kg. Of this core is assumed to be a black hole (density ~4E17 Kg/m^3 [Wikipedia:Density]), the black hole would be roughly 1.5 meters across.

Lastly, we look at the atmosphere. Earth's atmosphere has a mass of ~5E18 Kg [Wikipedia:Atmosphere of Earth]. Considering this is more massive than the entirety of Azeroth, even at our predicted density, Azeroth's must be less massive. The only way I can see this being the case is if the atmosphere is cut off and held down by some sort of ceiling. Considering there IS a ceiling in-game (roughly a quarter-mile up if you're in Stormwind), I'll use that. We'll estimate that over the entirety of the planet the average ceiling is about a third of a mile above the ground. This gives a shell of volume 1.04E12 m^3. Air at sea level has a density of roughly 1.29 Kg/m^3, giving us a mass of ~1.35E12 Kg. Given that that is roughly 0.00015% of the estimated mass of Azeroth, I'm satisfied that the mass can be attributed to the 'shell' portion of the mass (which was estimated at 10% of the total mass of the planet).

I'm somewhat concerned about Roche limits and the resulting tidal forces, which would be more than 5 orders of magnitude more intense on a human-sized object on Azeroth as they are on Earth, but I'll shrug that one off. After all, it is a fantasy game... =Þ

You're my hero :D
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
hey u forgot that we have massive old gods holding azeroth together!!!, they are using the super magic powwers to keep the world in order! whats this gravity u speak of!!! its magic!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
I now feel much less intimidated by the burning legion since it couldn't conquer something the size of rhode island...

So basically I feel like.... I could fight the whole thing off with a shotgun
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
This was awesome! I hope some one addresses plate tectonics in the future... : )
Reply Quote
86 Undead Mage
considering certain things we see like that machine hole thing in storm peaks and the holes in the mountain sides, thats not too far from the truth i reckon.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
01/26/2011 7:45 AMPosted by Borthos
well, by the time a developer actually creates that kind of accomplishment, im sure technology will be advanced enough for us to have computers that would be able to handle something so massive.
Wrong on both counts actually.

A massive world can easily be run on todays computers with the right optimizations, and there's no need to actually design the whole world yourself - the right randomization techniques can generate very realistic and arbitrarily large amounts of terrain. You want a game world the size of a 1 AU Dyson Sphere? No problem! You couldn't possibly actually need a game world that big, but you could certainly could generate it and render it in real time.
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Warlock
I've wondered about this before, thanks Daelyn for taking the time to figure it out!
Now another puzzle I wish I could solve: how big would any given continent / area have to be if Azeroth were the exact same size as the earth? Take the (original) Barrens for example, I wonder how many miles it would be to walk from Ashenvale to Thousand Needles. Is it feasible to travel this in 2 weeks (as another poster stated)?
And how fast would your mount have to be moving to travel the length of a continent in approx. 8 mins?
Reply Quote
36 Blood Elf Priest
01/11/2011 9:30 PMPosted by Soeroah
It's previously been discussed that the game world you can traverse in World of Warcraft has been compressed both in time and space, for player convenience. The compression ratio is variable and can differ almost infinitely at any point.

Aye, in lore Stormwind has a population of at least 200,000 and the Barrens takes a week to navigate.

Imagine the !!*#*ing if going from Orgrimmar to Thunderbluff took a fortnight.

Lol'd!!
Reply Quote
94 Night Elf Druid
Another site with cool info (and pictures) http://homepage.mac.com/prym/partone.html
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]