Why do rogues suck?

(Locked)

85 Troll Rogue
I have looked at 4 guild recruitment sites and they all specifically say, "Not interested in rogues". I am not saying that there are not guilds looking for rogues just that the majority seem to shun them.

I have only played this game for a a few months but the more I play the more pissed off I am that I choose a rogue.

Is there anything rogues do really awesome. Kick is nice but other classes have interrupts also...
You would think since the rogue is limited in the roles they can play they would at least be kick ass at one thing to make up for it.

Pallys and Druids are like the swiss army knife of classes and don't suffer in anyway for it. It almost makes no sense to choose a rogue when a druid can do everything just as well as you and then some. So is it retarded to play a rogue? Anyways that is my rant.

Make me proud to be a rogue what can we do that will make us a necessity in a guild and have more people appreciate us?
85 Night Elf Rogue
Uhm... Smokebomb? *crickets*
85 Gnome Rogue
The top guilds have rogues and recruit rogues. Instead of thinking that it is "retarded" to to play a rogue, try to think of it more as the guild shunning rogues as the disabled one.
85 Night Elf Rogue
People that play rogues are fiercely loyal to their class OR they have rerolled already. As a result most guilds have the same rogues they've had since Vanilla and do not need new ones.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Or those guilds already have 1-2 rogues in their raid roster and want some variety?

A raid of 8 rogues, 1 tank, and a healer might not work out so hot...
85 Night Elf Rogue
Rogues are a liability in a lot of fights currently it's natural to sit classes that only excel in dying.
85 Night Elf Rogue
We're a specialized class, so a guild doesn't need many rogues to run efficiently. If they're actually running with zero rogues, they're imbeciles, and you don't want to be associated with them anyway.
85 Gnome Rogue
Negatives:

a) I think a lot of players really don't know what rogues are capable of. They don't know how to exploit our talents.

b) Most PvE rogues suck. They really do not know how to play the class. So its not worth the headache to have them around. ex. few rogues use Trix of the Trade. Trix are a huge benefit to tanks, especially for non-warrior tanks.

c) I find that gear availability seems more restrictive. So many rogues are not well geared and so their DPS suffers for it. ex. I can only use melee daggers. How often do those drop? Considering the best daggers drop in 10/25 man raids... you begin to see a conundrum.

d) Rogues seem to attract an anti-social non cooperative element. Rogues seem to have a higher occurrence of solo players. This tends to turn others off.

e) Many players have had numerous very BAD experiences with rogues in PvP. We are widely loathed. This mindset seems to carry over into PvE too.

Positives:

a) Fully geared and with full know-how to play, our DPS is tops on bosses. Really!

b) Get two rogues cross trixing and your raids will go much much faster.

c) A 25 man raid without a couple rogues is a raid that enjoys more wipes.

Feel better?
Edited by Murgel on 1/13/2011 9:18 AM PST
71 Tauren Druid
Also the Supression Room.
85 Night Elf Rogue
Bad players are a liability in a lot of fights currently it's natural to sit people that only excel in dying.

Fixed.

A rogue who follows fight mechanics properly is no greater a liability than any other class.
100 Human Rogue
01/13/2011 9:01 AMPosted by Zushiba
Rogues are a liability in a lot of fights currently it's natural to sit classes that only excel in dying.

People like you are ruining this game - You had everything handed over to you in the last expansion so you really never took the time to learn your class and play properly.
Now you are saying rogue class is broken.
It is but only for you and rest of the lazy bunch.

As for OP, rogues are fine but there is not much room for mistakes; You have to choose proper enchants, gems,, glyphs, reforge for very specific stats (depending on spec) and follow not so hard rotation. If you learn to follow these simple rules and get use to defensive cds most of the time you will be last man standing

Start with sticky on top of this forum and pay a visit to elitist jerks website for more detailed info (specific stats to aim for, rotation, do's and don'ts and so on)

I have been playing rogue from the start and 5 rogues later I can tell you it is one of the most fun class to play. And yes, I have played most other classes but not heals.

Regards,
Trbonja
85 Night Elf Rogue
Also, savage combat and master poisoner are raid-wide damage buffs. What other class / spec has master poisoner? (I'm actually asking, not rhetorically asking. There must be another class out there with this because 8% increased magic damage is so obviously good that you'd think raids would be begging for rogues). I know arms warriors can also supply savage combat, but don't most warriors go fury in pve? Most people have no clue that rogues have these raid-wide buffs.
85 Troll Rogue
I never use tricks of the trade thanks for the tip. After reading all the responses I appreciate the rogue a little more.
85 Gnome Rogue
01/13/2011 10:26 AMPosted by Malachaia
What other class / spec has master poisoner?

I know warlocks have a similar debuff they can put on targets but it causes their dps to sever a little bit.
85 Human Rogue
They're not looking for rogues because of how much melee is terrible for the end wing(and before) bosses in Cata. Assassination may be one of the top specs as far as dps goes, but most of those "average" parses are taken from BH. The amount of movement/add switching in several of the raid bosses makes it hard to bring any melee(let alone rogues) to many of the boss fights.
I'm not saying that we can't get around to adds to switch around, but bringing a ranged makes that a lot easier, they lose 0 dps time whereas melee loses much more, also the master poisoner debuff is applied by boomkins, so no big deal there.
85 Goblin Rogue
Hunters can tame a pet with the same debuff too. I hear hunter pets take a lot less raid damage than melee!
100 Night Elf Rogue
Hunters can tame a pet with the same debuff too. I hear hunter pets take a lot less raid damage than melee!

In most of my raid applications, I actually claim I'm a wind serpent.
85 Undead Rogue
01/13/2011 8:43 AMPosted by Cruisinchubs
I have looked at 4 guild recruitment sites and they all specifically say, "Not interested in rogues". I am not saying that there are not guilds looking for rogues just that the majority seem to shun them.

I have only played this game for a a few months but the more I play the more pissed off I am that I choose a rogue.

Is there anything rogues do really awesome. Kick is nice but other classes have interrupts also...
You would think since the rogue is limited in the roles they can play they would at least be kick ass at one thing to make up for it.

Pallys and Druids are like the swiss army knife of classes and don't suffer in anyway for it. It almost makes no sense to choose a rogue when a druid can do everything just as well as you and then some. So is it retarded to play a rogue? Anyways that is my rant.

Make me proud to be a rogue what can we do that will make us a necessity in a guild and have more people appreciate us?

They most likely aren't interested in Rogues for a few reasons.

1. Rogues offer little in the ways of raid-utility, this isn't Vanilla where we were one of the only interrupts, now almost every class/spec has a way to interrupt, and alot of them do it better. All we offer is 8% spell damage taken, as opposed to a frost mage who offers:

Max mana increase.
Spell damage increase.
Raid-wide mana regeneration.
Effective AOE slows.
10% healing reduction.
Free drinks/food.

2. Rogues are melee, stacking alot of melee is preparation to fail right now, because too many bosses have anti-melee abilities such as air phases, etc, where melee can't do anything, and ranged classes aren't suffering at all.

Because of the above two reasons, you can only take a few rogues (2 or 3) to a 25man raid, and probably only 1 to a 10man.

Retribution sucks, so no, Paladins aren't really a swiss army knife until Ret gets buffed hardcore.

I can't give you pride in a class that you obviously dislike. You're better off rerolling if you aren't satisfied, just remember that every class has its ups and downs, this right now is probably Rogues hardest time in the history of WoW, we were often close to the best, if not the best at alot of things, we scale very well though, so once better gear comes out (t12, t13,) we will most likely be doing very well. Rogues always suffered at the beginning of expansions, its just how we are.

Our DPS is still very strong though when done correctly. If you manage to get into a guild, and preform well, you can expect to be taken into raids much more often by them.
Edited by Shaco on 1/13/2011 11:55 AM PST
Anyone can play a Rogue, but not everyone can play a Rogue to its full extent. Little things like using Feint before an AoE will get you love from the healers. Making a Tricks macro will get you love from the Tanks. Knowing when your sap is about to run out so you can Blind it immediately, kicking heals, sacrificing an Envenom to Kindey Shot that spell that would otherwise wipe the group...little things like this will make you stand out from all the other Rogues that tunnel vision their Skada/Recount addon.

Read up on the Assassination sticky, its got alot of great information.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]