Mumble as Ventrilo Replacement

90 Dwarf Warrior
Our guild has used Ventrilo for two and half years now. Most Ventrilo hosts sell their packages in 24 or 32 slot bundles. Of course, for 25 man raids, we had to purchase the 32 slot bundle. Two weeks ago, I caught wind of a different voice chat client called Mumble that has been gaining momentum with many high end raiding guilds. I purchased a lease and our guild has given it a trial run, and it seems unlikely that we'll be returning to Ventrilo.

Anyone else out there use Mumble? It's open source, easy to use and very reliable. I've found the sound quality to be equal or better than Ventrilo. If people are too loud, by default, Mumble normalizes them. By design, Mumble operates with much lower latency than Ventrilo, so there is less delay. With shorter voice delay, coordination in our raids has improved where communication is required.

By default, overlay is turned on in Mumble. When someone is speaking in Mumble, their name lights up within your WoW interface. This can be disabled if desired, but I imagine this would be great for raiding with people you don't know. Ventrilo has this option, but it's not as reliable and is not enabled by default.

There is a smartphone app for Mumble, so you can chat on your phone while you're bored at the office. You can jump on in your car to let them know you'll be late for the raid. You could start it up when your computer gets BSoD and let everyone know that you're out for the night.

The best part? It's a good deal cheaper than Ventrilo. Mumble hosts allow you to purchase however many slots you feel is necessary. If you want 27 slots, you can purchase 27 slots, and that's exactly what you pay for. You're not paying for 32 slots while only using 25 of them.

The Ventrilo server I had planned on going with would have cost me $3.00 a month for a ten slot server. The Mumble server I'm leasing costs me $0.18 per slot. For my 12 slot server, I'm paying $2.16 per month, or $26 a year. A Ventrilo server with 2 less slots would cost me $36 a year.

It's also my understanding that you have to pay licensing fees to legally host a Ventrilo server on your computer. With Mumble, you can do this for free so long as your ISP allows it. So if your ISP allows for it, you could host multiple Mumble servers on your own computer and lease them out (or hand them out for free).

Cheaper, faster and open source. The only problem is that only a handful of guilds have started to use it. That's why I'm trying to spread the word. I recommend trying out a free trial to see if you like it. It's much lighter on the wallets for those of us who have dumped hundreds of dollars into Ventrilo server over the course of the year. Also, I think you'll find improved raid performance when communication and reaction time is paramount to success.

Would you or your guild consider using it? Do you pay for Ventrilo?
Reply Quote
I haven't tried it but I've also heard good things about it

Why not download it and try it out? See for yourself what you think of it.

I personally use Teamspeak3 right now. I like it a lot more then vent.

FYI, Vent has a mobile app also.
Edited by Gobs on 1/24/2011 5:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
My guild switched to Mumble last year.
Takes twice as long to set up initially. After that, it's superior to Ventrilo in every way.
We will never go back.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Thanks for the post. I have not heard of it, but I shall have to check it out.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
If I may ask, what server site do you use for your murmur/mumble hosting? Every place I look it's overpriced
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Roll your own imo.. dyndns if you don't have a static ip/hosting. Doesn't use a terrible amount of bandwidth or cpu resources for a 10man group, esp if you just fire it up when you do instances.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Oh yes indeed, Mumble is quite a bit better for raiding. And you can also have it automatically lower your other sounds when someone speaks, which makes it so you can listen to music and still hear out raid calls.

*waves at Fitz and KoBD*
Reply Quote
86 Human Mage
Personaaly I tried mumble with a few of my guilmates and out of 10 7 voted they would rather stay with Ventrillo. I was one of them voting to stay with Vent. I am seriously considering switching the guild over to Teamspeak3 though. I ran it a couple of weeks never getting more than 5 people in the guild to help me test however, but overall it was great and much better than Vent!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
im not getting the whole slot thing on teamspeak 3 said 10 slots but when im on says unlimited ppl can connect at once but on vent im being told 8 slots actually means 8 ppl. my guild doesnt seem to like teamspeak 3 so i was trying to get vent but if it only holds 8 ppl at a time seems worthless
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
We switched to Mumble last month on a whim. Some folks had issues with it, but it was cheaper than Ventrilo so we are sticking with the Mumbles.

The best part of mumble is you can share links to Kate Upton's Easter video or an Argentinian Dancing With the Stars lady having a wardrobe malfunction while raiding. It has made sitting out much more fun.

@Azreal I take back all the mean things I said when I found out you watched DWTS.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My guild's been using Dolby Axon for about a year now, with good results. Free download, free to use.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Mumble is cheap and voice quality is better than ventrillo.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
We switched to Mumble last month on a whim. Some folks had issues with it, but it was cheaper than Ventrilo so we are sticking with the Mumbles.

The best part of mumble is you can share links to Kate Upton's Easter video or an Argentinian Dancing With the Stars lady having a wardrobe malfunction while raiding. It has made sitting out much more fun.

@Azreal I take back all the mean things I said when I found out you watched DWTS.

HEY... i watch it for the hot girls =(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]