Going Walkabout: A Tanking Movement Guide

85 Tauren Druid
wtb more people saying hi
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
This doesn't seem right to me at all.

Is there a source for this information?

Sounds to me more like a server-latency problem.

Does this mean if you jump off a cliff out of the fire, you'll take fire dmg all the way down until you hit the ground? =P

Or if you heroic leap/goblin boots/disengage out for that matter.

It is absolutely true results in jumped charges.
Edited by Fridays on 2/10/2011 6:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Very good post, reported for sticky.

I've always prided myself with proper movements while tanking mobs. That temporary bug with 3.3? I think it was that caused havoc with it drove me nuts. Mostly because it made me look tired and not in good control.

However, one thing I disagree with is backpedaling. I'll never agree with throwing out a tool that has uses, many people recommend unbinding the backpedal key. I completely, wholeheartedly disagree with doing that. It has its place. I wouldn't want to not have it as an option.

Strafing while Backpedaling can do odd things, but can also very quickly move a mob out of something (think Arcanatron). Because of your 'tennis ball' analogy, the stick points away from the mob, at an angle. The key thing with this style of movement is that you can turn, in a very controlled fashion. I then use the mouse to adjust that turn, and I've got where it is second nature to know what way I'm going, and where the boss/mob/mobs will end up.

I just re-read that last paragraph and it makes no sense, its hard to describe. After 6 years of doing it, I just naturally do it.
Edited by Serados on 2/10/2011 10:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Moving casters without silence:
While standing in melee range, take a tiny step away from them. Wait till they take a tiny step closer, repeat. If you move too far at once and step out of melee range, they will typically begin a spell, so just small steps.

In my experience, not all mobs will do this. Some casters (and almost all 'ranged' IE, bows, etc) mobs have a minimum range for their damage abilities. Not a hard and true fact, but more in the AI of it, they will prefer to use a spell/ranged if their target (you, probably) is in melee range. By moving slowly you stay in that range and they will refrain from casting/shooting. I'm fairly certain I've seen some mobs that don't behave this way, and I know some bosses don't. Then again, its not really something I've paid close attention to, just another one of those things (like a lot of stuff in this thread) that I've just taken for granted.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I never really though of backpedaling at an angle as being strafing but I guess moving forward at an angle is so why wouldn't it be?

I think, despite it being confusing, that i do understand what you are saying. When i get some time i will go run around with some more giant skeletons in Icecrown to get a better handle on it.

I dont think that i ever said that backpedaling is not useful, just that there are generally much better ways of moving to do what you want to do, but if I did say that somewhere let me know where and i will change it. I completely agree that unbinding your back key is not really a good idea. For small backwards movements it is way easier to do that then strafe, like say in the 2-3 yard range. I think the thing with backpedaling is that it takes some time to realize that it is better suited to small movements around the enemy than for say moving a boss across the room.

02/10/2011 10:36 PMPosted by Serados
just another one of those things (like a lot of stuff in this thread) that I've just taken for granted.

I think that this is really the issue. It is easy for more experienced tanks to just say "well I know that so everyone must," but the thing is that a lot of people don't. It was really clear to me that this was going to be a useful guide when about midway through me writing it I was raiding and some one told me to stop running away from the mob. I said i was strafing and they told me I should stop because I'm taking more damage. Say what? that was what made me want to truly finish this. I seemed to be the only one in the raid that knew that that was wrong and ignorance is not bliss in this situation. Just look at the amount of posts that are titled something like "How do I tank X" when the answer is usually that they learn proper movement techniques, I have had to stop myself from linking my guide in those threads cause they could fix it so easily.
Edited by Jey on 2/11/2011 8:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Worth a bump, I think.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Wow this sure fell back when i went on vacation. I do plan on looking into the backstafing though that was mentioned above so check back if you care at all.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Why hasn't this been stickied? This is one of the most useful posts out there.

Seriously, I started following the guidelines and suggestions and it's made a much bigger difference than I would have guessed.
Edited by Parcival on 3/2/2011 7:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
2 Orc Warrior
This needs to be seen by more people!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Nice guide, explaines couple things I have been noticeing. Learned couple more.
Now to put it to use.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
thank-you for bumping (necro really) this. Now we have a report sticky link that we can all hit.
Edited by Kalle on 3/10/2011 4:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have decided im gonna keep bumping this till it gets stickied.

This is one of the best tanking guides you can find and covers things more other tanking guides skip!
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
Mad phat props to the OP!

Much thanks for this, and thanks for the necro! I seriously didn't know a lot of this, even though I've been tanking off and on for years. /liked & voted sticky!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Too close to bottom! BUMP!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Why is this not sticky yet?
Edited by Choz on 6/30/2012 2:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
woot stickied!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
STICKY!

YES!!!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
oh snap!

thanks guys <3

Looks like if you want a sticky you just need Celyndrashad to threaten to spam bump your thread.
Edited by Jey on 3/11/2011 10:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
2 Orc Warrior
Hooray for necro!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]