Frost PvP Guide (Updated 9.20.11)

(Locked)

72 Draenei Shaman
I'm just wondering why something like 80% of the top arena DKs are still using 2H if DW is better? It seems to me they would know which is best; I just don't see many DW DKs around...is it really worth it?
85 Human Death Knight
08/09/2011 01:04 AMPosted by Errow
I'm just wondering why something like 80% of the top arena DKs are still using 2H if DW is better? It seems to me they would know which is best; I just don't see many DW DKs around...is it really worth it?

This was answered earlier.

"Most of the top DK's will switch between unholy and frost depending on the comp they are playing with as well as the comps they are facing...so expect them all to be using 2H."

If I am playing with a caster I will usually play unholy. If I play a melee cleave or with a hunter I will play frost.

On the other hand if we are facing caster heavy comps I will usually go unholy. If we are facing melee heavy comps I will play frost.

Basically it is very situational and I find myself reforging and changing specs constantly.
85 Goblin Death Knight
why would the rotation not have oblireate in it? wih the guaranteed crit (45% hit chance) wouldnt it be a must have in ur rotation? and it does massive damage
100 Goblin Death Knight

4) Always go Mastery over Haste for frost PvP

Just so I'm 100% clear on this.
Any PVP gear with mastery + reforge anything you can to mastery as well??

85 Human Death Knight

4) Always go Mastery over Haste for frost PvP

Just so I'm 100% clear on this.
Any PVP gear with mastery + reforge anything you can to mastery as well??

Yes. Once you have your 5% hit and 195 spell pen, reforge your gear to mastery where applicable.
85 Worgen Death Knight
im curious why ud put in obliterate points if ur not even going to use it i mean putting point into anhilation over improved frost presence when u dont use obliterate seems dumb to me
85 Human Death Knight
The obliterate question was answered on the previous page....I am not asking you to read all 20 pages, but at least look at my responses for answers guys.

This is consistantly asked and I have no clue why I have not taken the time to put this into the front page....however with that said you do use Obliterate.

Usually against anything besides plate I will use obliterate on every KM proc. Also if you have a opp low on health and he has a decent amount of necrotic strikes on him I will usually use obliterate to go for the kill. So please realize when I said that the rotation is VERY situational....you do want to use obliterate from time to time.

Also Necrotic strike is much much better than obliterate for pressure against any class. The only time you do not want to be using necrotic strike as your main ability is when you are on a class that cannot self heal (like a mage) and that person does not have healer. Keep in mind you do want to still use necrotic strike to keep up the 30% casting debuff though.
85 Undead Death Knight
I've had the chance to read through all of the information,and I was contempt being a DW'ing DK up until I bought my next weapon recently.

I ussualy do duels with a friend of mine who happens to be 2h wielding frost DK. Before I attained the new Ruthless Glad' slicer,and before he attained the ruthless gladiator bonegrinder,I would constantly beat him by a large margin. But as soon as i started using the Ruthless Gladiators Slicer and Vicious Gladiator Slicer I began to lose by a large margin as his new 2hander crits me for high margin in comparisant to the DPS i do with my DW'ing weapons.(I'm aware he has 1 or 2 more enchants than me,if it matters you can look at my 3v3 arena team to view his equipment and his name is Athena).

So my question,is why am i hitting him like a wet noodle? my auto attacks reach from 2k - 91 DPS.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
What gem would you guys suggest sticking in a prismatic slot?
85 Orc Death Knight
08/11/2011 06:59 AMPosted by Komachi
What gem would you guys suggest sticking in a prismatic slot?

Resilience.
85 Orc Death Knight
I've had the chance to read through all of the information,and I was contempt being a DW'ing DK up until I bought my next weapon recently.

I ussualy do duels with a friend of mine who happens to be 2h wielding frost DK. Before I attained the new Ruthless Glad' slicer,and before he attained the ruthless gladiator bonegrinder,I would constantly beat him by a large margin. But as soon as i started using the Ruthless Gladiators Slicer and Vicious Gladiator Slicer I began to lose by a large margin as his new 2hander crits me for high margin in comparisant to the DPS i do with my DW'ing weapons.(I'm aware he has 1 or 2 more enchants than me,if it matters you can look at my 3v3 arena team to view his equipment and his name is Athena).

So my question,is why am i hitting him like a wet noodle? my auto attacks reach from 2k - 91 DPS.

This guide was a PvP help for DK's in arena and RBG's...not duels.

Regardless though you should win a lot faster with DW over 2h. Here is my guess...

1) You didnt reforge hit back to other stats since with DW you only need 2%.
2) Like you said you didnt enchant your weapons...so you got rid of a 15% strength buff, and it heals you...also you gave up 10% increased frost damage on your OH...those are a pretty big deal.
3) Hopefully you changed specs.

If any of the above is true...you have your reason for why he beat you.
85 Undead Death Knight

Regardless though you should win a lot faster with DW over 2h. Here is my guess...

2) Like you said you didnt enchant your weapons...so you got rid of a 15% strength buff, and it heals you...also you gave up 10% increased frost damage on your OH...those are a pretty big deal.

I'm aware that this guide was created for RBG's and Arenas;however,since we're both on the same team,I tend to compare my Damage done to his.From this I can confirm that he beats me by a high margin within the damage department.

as for 2) All my weapons are enchanted,if by that you mean "Rune forged,Razor ice on my main hand,and Rune of the fallen crusader on my off hand. Then yes,i have my weapons enchanted.
3) Try and look at my equipment/talen spec..I'm specced as the first paged had directed the DW'ing DK's to spec into.
90 Human Death Knight
DW is a bigger ramp up then 2hander so it can be less damage then 2h in a duel situation.

I've not seen a 2h dk do more damage than me ever in a RBG.

Also he's using a 2h with a bigger variance of damage while you're using 1h with lower variance, could just be random chance.

Get a mod that groups your main hand and offhand hits together into 1 big number and I seriously doubt he is doing more per hit then you.

He's got ~500 more AP and 70 more spell penetration then you too due to enchants/etc. Get more spell penetration(this could easily be what's making you do less damage in RBG/Arena).

1 2hander upgrade vs 1 1 hander upgrade is probably bigger.

I just got my first season 10 weapon Tuesday and I have to say, this was a huge upgrade, note I took the mace not sword for higher damage variance.
Edited by Koocaine on 8/11/2011 11:24 AM PDT
85 Orc Death Knight

I'm aware that this guide was created for RBG's and Arenas;however,since we're both on the same team,I tend to compare my Damage done to his.From this I can confirm that he beats me by a high margin within the damage department.

as for 2) All my weapons are enchanted,if by that you mean "Rune forged,Razor ice on my main hand,and Rune of the fallen crusader on my off hand. Then yes,i have my weapons enchanted.
3) Try and look at my equipment/talen spec..I'm specced as the first paged had directed the DW'ing DK's to spec into.

Well just looking at your gear set up compared to his...his gear is enchanted...yours is not. Also you only have one ruthless weapon where he has two. One thing that is really killing you is you do not have spell penetration on your cloak....so you are about 45 spell pen under the cap you need to be at.

There are also other factors as well...is he using a necrotic based rotation. If you are using a necrotic based rotation and he is using an obliterate rotation then he is going to seem like he is doing more damage. Also are you both sitting the same target....say you are against a disc priest and he is bubbling the target you are on all of your damage is going to get absorbed...his wont...my advice go test your dps out on the dummies if you do not believe me.
90 Dwarf Death Knight
what i dont get is oblid hits for more weapon dmg how is nerco better?
85 Orc Death Knight
08/11/2011 09:30 PMPosted by Troxi
what i dont get is oblid hits for more weapon dmg how is nerco better?

Necrotic strike does a healing absorb...this means that say it throws up a 10k healing absorb...the healer then has to heal through that 10k before he can continue healing that target.

Now add that absorb to the damage it has done. Now take 4NS + 2HB vs 3OB and the necrotic strike howling blast rotation will put out more pressure.
85 Human Death Knight
How do you work with desecration? I do PvP in Unholy now, but I switch from time to time doing Unholy and Forst PvP, either way I do tend to spam NS and get a fair amount of desecrated ground down. It just seems like it comes down too late, a healer kiting is out of it before it effectively slows them, or so it seems.

You said that sometimes you DG them into your desecration, does that mean you forgo interrupting with dg and positioning yourself so you can maximize desecration's effect?

I'm sure it can help for kiting, situational, but I honestly never see it helping for chasing.
100 Goblin Death Knight

Get a mod that groups your main hand and offhand hits together into 1 big number and I seriously doubt he is doing more per hit then you.

Can you list out some addon's i can find on curse for this?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]