Frost PvP Guide (Updated 9.20.11)

(Locked)

85 Orc Death Knight
So I'm starting to gear up this toon, and in a nutshell:
Unholy presence
Mastery > Haste > Crit
DW > 2H
Mace = Axe > Sword

Don't really get the whole "Mace = Axe > Sword" bit, but other then that, yeah.

And if DW frost is so good, i'm still confused as to why I see hardly anyone running it.
Edited by Vibes on 9/3/2011 4:50 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
It's because the maces and axes have higher 'high end' damage than the sword, the sword has a higher 'low end' damage so the DPS values are equal, but in terms of raw throughput the maces and axes will hit harder.

I'm no math junkie and I'm actually really curious how much of a difference there is between Axe/Mace and Sword, because damn do the swords look nice and damn do the axes and maces look bad.
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Unless I'm misunderstanding the attack formula, the swords have a theoretical chance to do less burst than the axes/maces (because of the lower top end) but the axe/mace also has a chance to do less burst than the sword (because of the lower bottom end.) It's a range. Sometimes you'll get higher with the axe, sometimes you'll get lower. So it seems to me that to say "higher top end = more burst" is to ignore the reverse possibility.

That said, last time I looked the swords do have like .2 less dps entirely. I still use them 'cuz I like the look. :x
85 Orc Death Knight
Unless I'm misunderstanding the attack formula, the swords have a theoretical chance to do less burst than the axes/maces (because of the lower top end) but the axe/mace also has a chance to do less burst than the sword (because of the lower bottom end.) It's a range. Sometimes you'll get higher with the axe, sometimes you'll get lower. So it seems to me that to say "higher top end = more burst" is to ignore the reverse possibility.

That said, last time I looked the swords do have like .2 less dps entirely. I still use them 'cuz I like the look. :x

You are correct to an extent. Generally speaking you want to choose weapons based on class first....if you are an orc you get axes, if you are human you get swords or maces....

After that then you decide on which one you want. Swords in theory can put out more burst, but realistically speaking the difference is so small you will never notice the difference. I just have a thing about min maxing.
90 Human Death Knight
Thanks a lot, this post is full of awesomesauce!
Just started playing WoW after the typical summer hiatus and the 2H build is really nice.
Thank you to the OP!
Cheers!
Norac
90 Human Death Knight
Ok, so frost DW needs mastery before haste is there a certain percentage you need of each. I'm confused when reforging. I assume anything with expertise or crit you reforge into mastery and if the item has mastery you reforge into haste. I've talked to many in game and all dk's say something different. I know I don't have all pvp gear but I'm working on it so don't flame.
90 Human Death Knight
09/11/2011 02:08 PMPosted by Arthalson
Ok, so frost DW needs mastery before haste is there a certain percentage you need of each. I'm confused when reforging. I assume anything with expertise or crit you reforge into mastery and if the item has mastery you reforge into haste. I've talked to many in game and all dk's say something different. I know I don't have all pvp gear but I'm working on it so don't flame.

You are correct with the reforge crit/expertise to mastery if applicable, along with items that have haste on them. However, with items already having mastery on them, you simply do not reforge. You want all the mastery that you can get.
85 Worgen Death Knight
i followed the spec you gave for dw frost for the most part but left out on a pale horse and 1 point from endless winter in favor of RPM. my thinking is while fairly immobile i have snares and roots for days. With proper use of death grip staying on top of most people isn't a real problem for me(yet?). and i usually find myself with enough runic power for a half cost mind freeze. (was running a spec with 1/2 endless winter before) and with the extra runic power i can get off another FS or IBF.

i would really appreciate some feed back on this, like if it is a worth while trade off.
85 Draenei Death Knight
I dont think I saw it, but should I use Frost or Unholy presence?
90 Night Elf Warrior
08/22/2011 10:50 AMPosted by Influence
You stay in Unholy Presence regardless of what you are reforged to. Always stay unholy presence.
85 Orc Death Knight
Loving the thread in general. Couple of quick questions. I am specced into desecretion (as frost DK) and using necrotic strike rotation...is there a way to tell the area of desecration involved and how long it is still up?? Along those lines, if he moves out of that desecrated area and I hit him again with NS, does a new field and new timer occur with the slows?? I am having a fit with resto druids and resto shamans at times with kiting and looking for a better strat to stop them. So, my strat is to stack NS, chain when needed and try to save death grip for interupts but feel compelled to get them with DG when they are running away. Secondly, and to re-iterate what I think I have read here, a NS/ HB rotation will generally apply more pressure then oblit/FS rotation. I feel like I am seeing this, but double checking. Finally, for survival, I death pact my ghoul mostly. Have not found DS to be real helpful due to runic requirements and the Lichborne, target self, Death Coil does not work very well for me, runic requirements again. Have not really used the blood presence thing. Thoughts?? Thanks again and keep up the great work.
70 Undead Death Knight
Why wouldn't you get the attack power boost from the Blood tree?
85 Orc Death Knight
If you guys get a chance check out this DKs stream.

I have been watching this guy over the past couple days, and he has his mistakes, but overall he plays pretty well. Not a bad guy to watch if you guys get a chance.

http://www.twitch.tv/vingrhames

He is a 4 time gladiator.
85 Orc Death Knight
yeah i was super pissed wen they nerfed HC i mean i really wud like to have it as a 2 min CD and a instant cast and bc of that being a cast its hard to get it off wen their is a team that knows what they are doing and can interrupt it, it is BS and blizz needs to change that.
85 Goblin Death Knight
09/17/2011 05:27 PMPosted by Dezlas
Why wouldn't you get the attack power boost from the Blood tree?

because the damage reduction from blade barrier is a decent chunk of survivability
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hello,

First I wanted to say I’m fairly new to dk and I appreciate all the advice on this post.

Okay, so i’m just curious if the 12.5% disease damage added to obliterate matters in pvp.

What I mean by this is stacking blood plague+ frost fever to increase the damage of obliterate. Is this at all viable?

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
3/31/7
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0hZMIRrfzRdczfM:MamV0qMm0

This variation goes further into the unholy tree to pick up desecration. I would say most of the top rated DK's use this spec over anything else. Make sure you notice this is now the best DW spec. You WILL get targetted quite a bit so blade barrier is absolutely neccessary now. Keep in mind due to this spec you will only need 2% hit due to Nerves of Cold Steel.

You say Blade Barrier is absolutely necessary but the talent tree you listed ignores blade barrier for bladed armor
85 Tauren Death Knight
Update 9/20/11
- Due to most people being in full ruthless I have moved away from bladed barrier into bladed armor with regards to the spec. I think 4200 resil should be enough to let you spec into more damage. If you have problems staying alive go back to bladed barrier.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'm just starting my PvP gear. So stats are as follows:

Hit>Spell Pen>Str>Mast>Haste>Crit?

If anyone can link me a very good PvP Frost DK player, that'd be nice.

Just so I can inspect and whatnot.
85 Human Death Knight
5% hit atleast soft cap of 195 spell pen as frost you go mastery. Haste is for Unholy but don't get any expertise pieces.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]