Frost PvP Guide (Updated 9.20.11)

(Locked)

84 Undead Death Knight
10/10/2011 06:26 PMPosted by Influense
How do you heal yourself in frost mode? Death strike?

I use death strike when i have gone through all my cooldown's and my healer gets put into a CC...its basically like your last ditch effort to survive.

Defensive Cooldowns
- AMS
- Lichborne Heal
- Sack Pet
- Blood Presence (usually this is during burst moments like when a druid pops berserking)
- Death Strike

Sorry for the noob question but can you please explain Lichborne heal?? I thought it is just an immune to immobilizing abilities?

I'm also curious about this NS vs OB discussion... I seem to do a lot more dmg with Obliterate in BGs right now (I know I'm only 84) and see NS as the situational ability.. not OB. However, most of you are more knowledgeable than me so I'm listening.
85 Worgen Death Knight
Quick question, as someone new to DK PvP and trying to learn:

I see many people in this thread claiming DW to be vastly higher DPS, yet almost every single high ranked team uses 2H. In fact, many of the people in this thread who claim that DW is higher DPS also use 2H!

I even checked the ladder rankings for my battlegroup... out of the top 50 teams, 11 used death knights. 2 unholy, 9 frost, and all 9 of the Frost DKs were 2h.

Why is this? If DW is such a clear and away winner, why do so many people use 2H over DW and continue onto the highest ranks in the game?

I'd like to go DW just because that's what I also use in PvE, but it's hard for me to justify that when I see so, so many high ranked teams using only 2H.

Arena Junkies says to go 2H and only DW if you get Apparatus of Khaz'goroth... any truth to that?
Edited by Vahnda on 10/22/2011 1:59 AM PDT
85 Undead Death Knight
Not sure if I saw it mentioned anywhere in here, but as DW frost in RBGs, necrotic strike is useless. While dual wielding, it will negate only about 3k heals and do about 1k damage to the target-not even worth the GCD, much less the rune, compared to 2h's ~9k healing negation, with similar damage done. Dual wielders should focus much more on pure damage output, and spec into something besides desecration, as you won't be using necrotic strike often. Spec into Hand of Doom, and toss a point in Rime, since you'll be using obliterate much more often. In arena, however, 2h frost with desecration spec, and FS/Necrotic spamming is the way to go.
Edited by Necromight on 10/22/2011 3:39 AM PDT
85 Draenei Death Knight
I just saw the change to the talent points.

So no more rime or double obliterate power?

is that really the best idea? <_<
85 Worgen Death Knight
I just saw the change to the talent points.

So no more rime or double obliterate power?

is that really the best idea? <_<

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what to do at the moment.

OPs post says some radically different things than what almost every single top-tier player is doing.

I went 2h + Annihilation with no Rime because that's what I see the huge majority of top tier players doing.
66 Undead Death Knight
im really confused about the whole macro thing. is it at the beginning of a fight you change macros? im still kinda new to pvp so i don't really know all this advanced stuff.
90 Undead Warlock
Bro ty for giving me this info as a completly new pvp DK. Any other tips on dks?
85 Orc Death Knight
Thats wrong, necrotic strike heal reduction is based on your total attack power, which is your main hand + off hand. Which will end up being around the same as 2h. The damage will be lower, however because it necrotic doesn't hit with your off hand either.

I think most people choose 2h because of the fact that they play unholy/blood as well. to be honest i don't really notice too much of a difference playing both, they're both good... dual wield just procs more killing machine if you're lucky from what ive seen
85 Human Priest
01/21/2011 10:53 AMPosted by Darkcore
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0hZGhRrfzRdczfM:Mac0VqM0m
90 Orc Warrior
I have a question about specs....why are we putting 3 points into 'runic power mastery' for the extra 30 runic power when i have never used more than 100 runic power?!?! seems like a waste of 3 points. Does Frost Strike and other DK abilities hit harder the more runic power u have? Would a FS do alot more damage if i had 130 runic power vs 100 runic power? Or runic power has no effect on damage? Do you get more runic power for each of your abilities if you spec into runic power mastery? Like what's the point of building up runic power? I just don't get it. Wouldn't it be better to put 1 point in runic power mastery and 2 points into Improved Frost pressence for the faster rune regeneration? Seems to me you would be able to put out more damage because your not waiting for runes as much. Thoughts?
85 Human Death Knight
What's up with no expertise cap? Is there some PvP mechanic I'm missing because it would seem like you'd lose alot of DPS to dodges and parries?
85 Human Rogue
11/03/2011 09:10 PMPosted by Immad
What's up with no expertise cap? Is there some PvP mechanic I'm missing because it would seem like you'd lose alot of DPS to dodges and parries?

Anything you might be fighting head on , rogues/ferals have alot more dodge then you'd be able to cap over, and if ur targetting a certain player, then you want to try to be behind them so they cant dodge/parry anyways.

10/22/2011 12:52 AMPosted by Vahnda
I'd like to go DW just because that's what I also use in PvE, but it's hard for me to justify that when I see so, so many high ranked teams using only 2H.

I just tested this on my DK full honor gear/with ruth shoulders only, but after one min of dw and 2H , Adding necro healing absorb and damage together , Dw came out on top for about 30k more, ( around 720k) while 2H was 688k, ( these are just my tests so just go with what you feel is right) and you see many top dk's using two handers because they play unholy main/off specs so they obviously buy the 2hander.

I've seen high rated dk's with Dual wield on ( or at least a secondary spec with )
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/korgath/Jareddawg/simple
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/Deuss/simple

It's really just a matter of what you prefer tho
85 Orc Death Knight
Should I reforge my pvp set? I'm currently at 150 spell pen, and I have 3 50 spell pen gems, how do I increase it?
54 Undead Hunter
11/05/2011 03:07 PMPosted by Linzz
Should I reforge my pvp set? I'm currently at 150 spell pen, and I have 3 50 spell pen gems, how do I increase it?

70 spell penetration increase to cloak - enchant
85 Undead Death Knight
I'm curious as to why you would take On a Pale Horse instead of a dps talent like 2/3 annihilation fro when you do use oblits...30% is still a lot for a talent buff.

I'm a returning player after a 6 month hiatus, and I always heard On a Pale Horse was useless for arena and pvp in general...did something change?
85 Orc Death Knight
Pretty much useless in arena, not really in bgs, your mount speed is fast as !@#$
85 Human Death Knight
Ok so I was testing 2h against DW this afternoon and I noticed I do around 2k less DPS on dummies as DW.

I also tried a few 2v2 games where I had a lot more trouble killing the oponent, dual wielding.

Is there a reason for that?

You can check both my specs if you want, the gear difference is the weapons only, I use Zin Rhok for 2h and both Vicious swords for DW.

85 Orc Death Knight
As it is very useful in BG's its just as useful in arenas were movement slowing affects used against you are decreased by 30% so you are not kited to death by mages and or hunters and other classes that can kite fight you.

I'm curious as to why you would take On a Pale Horse instead of a dps talent like 2/3 annihilation fro when you do use oblits...30% is still a lot for a talent buff.

I'm a returning player after a 6 month hiatus, and I always heard On a Pale Horse was useless for arena and pvp in general...did something change?

As far as I know, it doesn't decrease the overall % you are slowed, rather the duration of them. And most movement slowing abilities are easily refreshed. i.e chillblains, frostbolt

And so: useless in arena (for the most part) - still one of my favourite talents for bgs/world because of the speed increase. 240% ground mount speed is awesome
Edited by Matban on 11/16/2011 12:36 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]