Prot 2v2: Paladin + ?

(Locked)

Which partner would be best for a Prot Paladin to head into 2v2s with? Holy Pally? Druid?

Discuss.
90 Dwarf Paladin
My experience with Prot Paladin in PvP tells me that another Prot Paladin would work well. A Prot Paladin cannot protect his partner or cc the enemy. They have very limited support. However, the 1vs2 scenario has taught me that a Prot Paladin is quite capable of lasting a long time on his own, which has lead me to believe that two Prot Paladins built to maximise survivability are capable of matching most other opposition.

I think Shamans might be the only thing that would present a real threat.
85 Human Paladin
Prot warrior, Resto Shaman, Shadow Priest or basically anything that can help smooth out Prot's lack of sustained damage and has mobility enough to not require you to use freedom on them except in extreme cases.

when it comes to Paladin's, when in doubt, go for a Lock or Shaman.
90 Dwarf Paladin
No, you see, that's the problem. We can't support a DPS class as Prot Paladin. We're too easy to shut down and our heals are not powerful or persistent enough. If we're paired with a healer, we can't protect them. If we're paired with a dps, we can't protect them. We don't have the damage to take down an opponent quickly.

Prot Paladins are very good at taking care of themselves and do decent, consistent damage, when they're able to actually close with an opponent. That's why the only good partner for a Prot Paladin is another Prot Paladin. Don't give the opponent any choice, but to attack the tank.
85 Human Paladin
So far my ideal partner is a Prot Warrior. I feel with their survivability and large amount of chase mechanics/stuns, they can help where I find Prot lacks, against casters(specifically kiters). I've not gone with another prot paladin, however I have inspired my friend to take up pvp prot on his as soon as he gets his last level and to test it out, so I'll try. At low (<1800 rating) and maybe above (didn't test it since left team to carry hunter for a few games to finish his bow), a druid might be exceptional, since they provide as much diverse utility, with on the move heals, atm shapeshift getaways, excellent kiting, plenty of annoying cc, as well as boomkin and feral providing good damage, especially if teams try to focus the Paladin for whatever reason. I also think Paladins could go with the FotM and pair up with either a rogue or frost mage.
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
I teamed up with a Frost Mage in my 2s on my Prot Paladin. It went surprisingly well. Keep HoF ready if he starts to get trained.

Time Warp + AW + HoJ/CS on the healer = GG
85 Blood Elf Paladin
01/22/2011 10:11 AMPosted by Henge
Which partner would be best for a Prot Paladin to head into 2v2s with? Holy Pally? Druid?

Discuss.

To answer this question, consider the mechanics of Prot first.

Prot has:
- high durability
- OK damage output
- limited CC
- decent offhealing

Given that, IMO Prot pairs up best with another DPS, and ideally one that has some survivability/durability, such that the Prot can bridge that DPS with offhealing and such to the next set of the DPS's survival/healing cooldowns.

There are a number of DPS classes that currently fit that description. Feral, DK, Frost Mage, Prot War, Shadow Priest, Enhancement Shaman, etc. These comps would all be viable to 2k+.

You may be able to get to 2k with a Healer.
Edited by Taugrimm on 1/22/2011 11:18 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Paladin
01/22/2011 10:47 AMPosted by Cbredbeard
No, you see, that's the problem. We can't support a DPS class as Prot Paladin. We're too easy to shut down and our heals are not powerful or persistent enough.

Actually, what you are saying is incorrect, based on the experience of other players.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/arena/wildhammer/2v2/beasteh/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ee2Ww0-8Ug

I've kept my partner alive for 30 minutes, against a DPS/Healer comp.
85 Human Paladin
01/22/2011 11:20 AMPosted by Taugrimm
No, you see, that's the problem. We can't support a DPS class as Prot Paladin. We're too easy to shut down and our heals are not powerful or persistent enough.

Actually, what you are saying is incorrect, based on the experience of other players.

Correct. That's what Paladins of any breed excel at; keeping teammates alive. Ret has a much easier time than Prot does, but Prot brings tools that Ret doesn't.

You cannot just assume that just because you're prot players will ignore you. Even if they are ignoring you, that leaves room for you to get more Holy Power, heal and play support until in a position to burst.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
priest or druid would both work well becuase of the cc capability.

druid probably much better.
90 Tauren Paladin
I tried 2s with a Rogue as Prot and it was OK, we were/are low on resiliance due to just gearing up for the new game and all but in our 1st string of games we broke about even...Mabey prot/ranged dps of some kind would have worked better because caster teams were difficult but, overall I was pleased with Prot in Arena.
85 Blood Elf Paladin

7:10 that guy is terrible, doesn't know what life grip is.
and almost 300 games to get 2k rated :/
that doesn't show at all that dps/protpally is good lol
if anything it proves his point that dps/prot isnt good
Edited by Mileycyrusxo on 1/22/2011 12:54 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Paladin
01/22/2011 12:48 PMPosted by Mileycyrusxo
doesn't know what life grip is.

That makes me ignorant not unskilled :D

Incorrect.

We got to 2k a couple weeks ago, and since then have been experimenting and trying new things, because there really isn't much material on Prot Cata PVP and Enhancement isn't very common either, esp at 2k+.

Prot/Enh is probably one of the "weaker" Prot/DPS comps.

We have a winning record against every comp except for Mage/Spriest and Mage/DK, and M/S is very popular.

that doesn't show at all that dps/protpally is good lol
if anything it proves his point that dps/prot isnt good

/shrug

Not everyone wants to roll a FOTM comp like you or play Holy :)
Nothing wrong with Holy, it's just not everyone's cup of tea.

There have been dozens of Prot Pallies posting on my blog that what I've shared with them has helped them a lot in Arena and BGs.
Prot Paladins can absolutely support another DPS class, I've not hit 2k yet, I'm only doing arena for the points so we're sitting at 1800, but I have had no trouble at all keeping my partner up and it's an Assassination Rogue. I would actually think that it would be more difficult running with a healer due to lack of damage. You have to play smart, but between Hand of Protection/Sacrifice, and Divine Guardian, I have no trouble at all. Spam WoG when needed, and I even have time to spam Flash Heals here and there because they always try to focus down my partner first. I don't go oom because I use Seal of Insight when I need to, and so far it's worked pretty well. The teams that seem to give us the most trouble are anything with a Holy Paladin. not that we can't beat them, but the games last quite long because the Pally just ends up bubbling 3 or 4 times a match. Caster teams can be troublesome as well, but if you pillar hump and they can't heal themselves, it can be done with relative ease. We have a kick, my AS, Blind, Gouge, Hammer and CS/KS for interrupting and CC so if you time it all well, it plays out pretty nicely.
85 Human Paladin
We also have to take into account that Prot's burst as well as sustained is probably going to go up with the buff to CS and Seal of Truth. So that will probably open up for more 2s comps for Prot.
85 Tauren Paladin
Protection Paladins do best when being attacked, believe it or not.

Get a partner that's an almost as bad or even worse choice than attacking you.

Holy Paladin
Protection Spec X
Frost Mage
85 Human Paladin
I am Ret and my partner is Prot. we are noobs but we do decently enough.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Just curious, what about a Blood Dk? their dmg is getting a little buffed, they have NS, silences, grip and are just as a bad choice to target as prot....

what u guys think?

While i'm not playing prot anymore and my 2's rating has dropped 100 points since going ret, in less than 90 games as prot / sub rogue got to 1960 with ease.

Prot/dps works just fine.
90 Dwarf Paladin
@ Taugrimm; Shamans can heal themselves and a teammate, much better than a Prot Paladin can I might add. And it's not so much that they can ignore a Prot Paladin. It's that they cc you and then ignore you. The damage and healing you can provide while not crowd controlled is just not good enough.

You guys also seem to be made of money, having Landslides coming out of your ears.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]