Fire Mage PvP priority rotation

85 Gnome Mage
I am pretty much asking for advice from a BG Hero or someone that has really tried Fire in Arena for advice on spell cast priorities for Fire Mages. I don' intend to do Arena as a fire mage, however fire is just so much more fun and I switch to it in BGs and such when bored with frost.

My priority rotation has been this:
1. Keep living bomb on target at all times
2. Spam scorch until I hit a Hot Streak
3. Hit an instant Pyroblast
4. Hit an instant Impact when they are near a group or need to be stunned
5. Hit combustion when I have a living bomb + Pyroblast crit on them
6. Blast wave disorient + flamestrike + Dragon's breath + Nova + blink to mess with mobs
7. Dragon's breath if someone closes on me and blink/CoC/Nova are down.
8. Blast wave if everything else is down.

Any advice, suggestions, ect. are welcomed. I just started playing fire like 4 days ago, so most of this is of my own design. My thanks go out to the Mage's forums in helping me thus far in gemming, enchant, glyph priorities.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Shatter Combos.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Okay here's the thing.

As fire pvp, it's COMPLETELY different form pve. for starters:

Melee: Your cone of cold and Dragonbreath is on a short cooldown. use them to their fullest. your cc abilities (ie. Blastwave, frost nova, Dragon's breath) are ALWAYS on your target, the cooldowns are as such as you can always have at least one up. otherwise scorch HS pyro. if warrior than you know charge/intercept are inc, so be ready with blink OR....OR....OOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRR
eat it. yes I know it hurts, but sometimes you have to see what they do, if they don't Bladestoooooorm then you have them in range for a root, followed by many scorches. but let's face it. sometimes scorch just doesn't do enough damage. so your fireball is to be used ONLY ON DB (the disorient is long enough for a fireball) OR if you for some reason are lucky enough to be facing a DK. (I dunno dk's are like, notorious for DG'n a mirror image...for some...reason...i really don't-but w/e) there are times where you can use a Fireball. Ring of frost is a good example. as is a frost nova, DB, invis...(try it....if there are no dot's on ya). anyone will tell you there is no true rotation in PvP. as a blood elf, I find Arc torrent ella useful. you find yourself in melee range for a variety of reasons. (DB, Frost Nova, CoC) so against casters this is truly a bonus. Don't forget your silence on Paladins, it'll save ya more than you realize.

Don't forget the dangers of Dotters, (Spriests/Warlocks) they don't need to be facing you for dots, that really irks me...)

NNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF TTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
youre doing it right. Keep it up, with enough practice youll dominate the BG more than frost mages do. I destroy frost mages all day.

you might wanna try getting improved blink. it helps out mobility a lot. Especially for getting away

Basically just run in circles around the enemy while using your spells. Also use mage ward against warriors so you get blazing speed proc from their reflect.

If you strafe at just the right angle you can basically scorch them while they are behind you.

also drop tailoring and get engineering. Ran me 12k gold or so. Worth every copper. its straight dirty. Blazing speed, improved blink, rockets boots.... game over
Edited by Spooky on 1/23/2011 9:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Ok i will check it all out and keep trying, thanks for all the info/help!
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
only thing I'd change is the fireball while DB and it's up to you, but I've grown accustomed to using pyro when I've just hit them with a DB ,bc you can cast it the whole time they are in it and they can't do squat.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
01/23/2011 11:15 AMPosted by Bläzeöne
I am pretty much asking for advice from a BG Hero or someone that has really tried Fire in Arena for advice on spell cast priorities for Fire Mages. I don' intend to do Arena as a fire mage, however fire is just so much more fun and I switch to it in BGs and such when bored with frost.

My priority rotation has been this:
1. Keep living bomb on target at all times
2. Spam scorch until I hit a Hot Streak
3. Hit an instant Pyroblast
4. Hit an instant Impact when they are near a group or need to be stunned
5. Hit combustion when I have a living bomb + Pyroblast crit on them
6. Blast wave disorient + flamestrike + Dragon's breath + Nova + blink to mess with mobs
7. Dragon's breath if someone closes on me and blink/CoC/Nova are down.
8. Blast wave if everything else is down.

Any advice, suggestions, ect. are welcomed. I just started playing fire like 4 days ago, so most of this is of my own design. My thanks go out to the Mage's forums in helping me thus far in gemming, enchant, glyph priorities.

Your list is pretty good... I do a few things different. Since I hate RNG I try to FN ( for shatter bonus) once I have a Hot streak proc... FN > pyro> fireblast> LB / Combustion... if you get a crit on both the Pyro and Fireblast, the combustion REALLY hurts!

I try to get off FFB's when i can. I FFB Fireblast > Hotstreak + LB > combustion is a DEADLY opener.

I save my impact procs for healers to interrupt their heals or stop them in their tracks to hit a poly without them kinting around a pilar.

I haven't looked at your spec but insta flamestrike + free Flamestrike with BW is a great thing. I catch more stealthies off guard with FS than you can imagine ( tards are so predictable)

Use BW to kite... Its a failry short CD and does respectable damage especially when 2 are in the radius and you get the free Flamestrike.
Edited by Demagë on 1/25/2011 11:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
Living Bomb.

Shatter.

Shatter.

Combustion.

Bunch o peeps around? Impact proc? Fireblast. No proc? Blastwave. Impact proc? Fireblast. Otherwise....

DB.

Fireball+Fireblast.

Not dead? Run for your $@#%ing life.
Edited by Qbert on 1/25/2011 12:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Fire mages are good for pvp.....I am not good yet but my friend is very good with is firemage.

one good little combo is you living bomb them, get in close, DB so they disorientated, then Orb of Fire (it counts as a dot and does not break DB) cast a fireball on them run away and scorch.

Another good combo is if you frost nova, cast scorch and about 3/4 of the way through your scorch cast hit fireblast, these will often hit consecutively very close together and both get the shatter bonus which procs hotstreak. then run up and cone of cold them (because you spec'd into improve cone of cold which freezes them in place for 4 sec) and do it again, this can take a good chunk off their hp!

Dragons breath is pure gold for fire. You can get in close and mess up hunters, stop caster casting, and it gives a good 5 seconds of all your dots burning to maximise damage.

In BG's use your blast wave on groups as the more ppl/pets you hit the more you are likely to proc impact, put a living bomb, pyro and a combustion on someone and then hit an impact and bingo everyone near by has all three dots on them. This is a lot of fun in the WSG flag room if groups are trying to get the flag!

Fire has to be one of the most fun builds in the game.

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
I just found a combo that I like, but it requires engineering. I am only posting it here for a critique / opinion or viability for BG/Arena.

1. Living bomb
2. Scorch to HS Pyro and impact
3. Frost Nova, Pyro crit,
4. combustion,
5. impact,
6. Bolt thrower (8-10k damage and 4 sec silence)
7. Dragon's breath

I usually escape at this point or blink to fireball. I am also liking rocket boots added for mobility. It is a LOT easier for me at the moment to get HS up really fast with 28% crit. It makes all the difference. Comparing it to how painful the wait was at only 17% crit or even 20% crit is laughable. Now I am almost locked in for a HS after 2 scorches with Living bomb on the target. Using the engineer +460 int gloves enchant (on use only) with the +1590 sp trink makes for a super nice burst.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]