Guild Activity

Over a year ago, when Cataclysm was first announced, My Guild an I were very excited about the new implementations Blizzard was bringing to WoW. Guild leveling, guild achievements, ranked bgs, and the now gone Path of the Titans. Unfortunately, Almost every aspect of the game Blizzard Promised us is either gone, changed for the worse, or so convoluted with new 'features' that the original concept is no longer there.

Dear Blizz,

You're killing the game.

Guild Activity:
I have found little information on Guild activity on this forum, blue posts and around the net. From what I gather, Guild Activity is a point for point comparison to the amount an individual contributed or would have contributed to the Guild XP. There are more than likely other contributors to the final number and feel free to post on this if I'm missing a key atribute or two but either way, the final Number does absolutely nothing for guilds.

What can we use this number for? I've asked this question to a lot in WoW trade, general, and other guilds, and all I get is 'Well, you can see who's contributing the most.' What use is that to a Raiding guild or a PvP guild?

This feature would be amazing If you could either personally adjust this from guild to guild to focus their goals. I get the programming side of things and I know there is more to it then wishful thinking but what it seems like they did was develop the requirements and code for guild XP and just made those calculations visible individually based on character. This is NOT Guild Activity. At least, This is not what you lead most of the WoW community to believe when announced.

Beyond the numerous other issues Blizzard has had with this launch, this probably is highest on my list for faulty game development.

How to Fix this:
Distinguish Different types of Guild Contribution: Raiding, Pvping, Crafting, Dailies and Individual Contributions. Allow these to be viewed in the roster as One drop down option: Guild Activity, with said types as columns. If you feel that isn't enough, Maybe Allow further control by the guild to customize what they feel is considered guild Activity. And finally, Instead of All time and Weekly options (weekly is useless for anything but guild xp contribution) allow at least a monthly view as well.

P.S. A left and right arrow button would be a great addition to scroll through the Roster drop downs in the Guild U.I.

Reply Quote
It's how they announced it, why announce a non-useful feature to the game. Guild Activity can be very beneficial if the numbers were more than just.... useless.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
Why do you need to micromanage guild contributions to this extent?

I contribute a lot to my guild. This makes me happy. I don't need to know that everyone else is doing the same. They contribute what they wish to contribute. They play how they wish to play. We're a pretty nice group overall. We have a couple of raid teams, some avid PvPers, and even some psychos like me that have to mine every node they run into (Rich Pyrite, drool....)

Our guild leadership has a rough idea of who's doing what, but there's no "you must contribute 300k to guild experience each day or else" stuff.

If you foster an atmosphere where everyone gets tracked, you're making WoW a job. WoW is a place for people to escape their job. Don't make WoW a job. Your guildmates will thank you for it.
Reply Quote
In a raiding guild, It would be useful to help determine loot, provide information for who was raiding the most/least (currently) that week and all time, which would give a great sense of competition within the guild to keep that number high whereas atm, that number is based on very little that actually contributes to the guild beyond the guild leveling, when guilds hit 25, there will be no use for this feature.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
01/20/2011 9:11 AMPosted by Uldrecht
WoW is already a job. I'm not sure which game you've been playing.
You've been on sick leave then if you're only 81
Reply Quote
The point is that Guild Activity is currently useless for anything other than seeing who is contributing the most guild xp to the cap, and even that is inaccurate due to guild daily caps.

This was advertised and even slightly worked in alpha as a guild Contribution point based system. Who contributes the most/least in the guild. The majority of guilds who would use this feature would be raiding guilds i would imagine and it is utterly useless to us.

I challenge anyone to think of a use of this feature in any type of guild. And before you answer, really ask yourself if its something you or even anyone you know who plays would actually use.
Reply Quote
SL and EK :P

The point system is a great 'Look at me' 'I'm better than you' for some but you would have to have been in the guild from day one for that All time number to be high to compete, and the weekly resets each week so theres no real way of flaunting your !*@* that way either.

Thinking about it, the only real ability you could use this for is maybe some form of top weekly contributors contest or award system but even that is based solely on (for the most part) dailies, questing and possibly guild run heroics (from what i understand of it) which limits the contest to for the most part those play the most individually (dailies and quests) vs. as a group or guild. A system like this should encourage individual contributions that improve the guild where as of now it promotes individual gain that only helps the individual (plus guild xp, which has no relevence to guilds after you hit 25 or even your daily cap)
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
In my guild, I have been in the number one Guild Activity position for some time.

I am a lazy bum. I absolutely contribute less than a large number of others. I do three dailies and maybe a heroic or two. I raid just as much as the next guildie. I have no achievement points.

Whatever this number is, it was pulled out of thin air and only fosters confusion and feelings of inadequacy in everyone.

Guild Activity is broken. Very broken. Where is the official documentation detailing exactly how this number is calculated?

In normal development, there is a process of justifying the creation of a feature before spending/wasting development resources on it. I'd like to see that information.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
I would like to know about guild activity too. People in my guild would like all the Guild Rewards. We are only lvl 3, and no one wants to join a lvl 3 guild... So I have to pay people to join/help get guild up there. How would I figure out how much to pay them if its... incorrect. Blizzard has it so people just join few guilds becuz their lvl 15-watever. Not the low ones, so were left in the dumps.
Reply Quote
61 Orc Death Knight
01/20/2011 9:11 AMPosted by Uldrecht
If you foster an atmosphere where everyone gets tracked, you're making WoW a job. WoW is a place for people to escape their job. Don't make WoW a job. Your guildmates will thank you for it.

WoW is already a job. I'm not sure which game you've been playing.

You're not welcome in LFD heroics unless you overgear them and know the fights perfectly (aka you already grinded them to tears, but you need the JPs/rep for some reason).

People stopped queueing as tanks/healers altogether because of the "pressure" for them to be "competent" and "know what they're doing".

Jobs are done for money but also self-accomplishment. Which WoW have now turned into for a lot of people of this community. People downtalking others because "urbad" since they're SO good at it. People, namely Ghostcrawler, posting on this site to tell the community how this game should be a challenge the moment you hit 85, otherwise it gets boring.

Cata currently offers VERY limited enjoyment for those who are not as committed as others. Job generally offer very limited money for this who never went to school to get an actually decent one.

THIS X100.
Reply Quote
12 Goblin Mage
If you foster an atmosphere where everyone gets tracked..

i guess we don't need the Armory then...

and while we are at it...let's remove achievements too...

i would say its VERY important for a guild to know who is contributing and who is not.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
In a raiding guild, It would be useful to help determine loot, provide information for who was raiding the most/least (currently) that week and all time, which would give a great sense of competition within the guild to keep that number high whereas atm, that number is based on very little that actually contributes to the guild beyond the guild leveling, when guilds hit 25, there will be no use for this feature.

Well as far as who got what, there is a note in the guild info for recent loot. As far as who was raiding, well, that would be, and hopefully will always be up to the guild leadership, as well as raid leaders. That is part of any guild in any event. I know being a raid leader, I keep a notebook. I also know my GM likes to use index cards with various notes. Just a thought.
Edited by Bralion on 5/10/2011 8:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
This could be used for loot which is nice but most of your high end guilds either trust their members to roll on what is for their class or use systems like epgp. If they moved this into a loot system for the guild involvement vs gear, etc. that would be awsome.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]