Support for Linux?

(Locked)

76 Blood Elf Paladin
I know a minority of you use Linux, maybe not even at all. But, I'd love to see support for Linux. Why? It's great, and better than Windows and Mac. Some of you may disagree, but I've found it to be much quicker.

Anyways, I'm sure this has been posted before. I'd love to see it be put in.
95 Dwarf Hunter
I run linux and have been for the past 10 years. Wow runs great inside of wine. On the same machine in vista I get 50 FPS with everything i under from maxed out running on the same machine in linux i get well over 70 FPS with everything maxed out. Wine is doing a great job keep us linux users running WOW.

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I use WoW under wine sometimes too. Haven't done so in a while though.

01/21/2011 4:49 AMPosted by Flintman
I run linux and have been for the past 10 years. Wow runs great inside of wine. On the same machine in vista I get 50 FPS with everything i under from maxed out running on the same machine in linux i get well over 70 FPS with everything maxed out. Wine is doing a great job keep us linux users running WOW.

Last time I knew Wine didn't support AA of any kind and would render the game as if AA were turned off. So naturally wow under linux would pull ahead in FPS. I also had issues with addons causing all sorts of weird issues under linux while the same everything under windows was perfectly happy. Like I said however I haven't used wow + wine since around version 0.9.36 of wine and here they are up to version 1.2.2.

I hear you though. Having a native Linux client would be awesome. It isn't all that different from the Mac client and if it is your are programming the client in an overly difficult way.
76 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd just like to bump this, because running under Wine isn't always the best, IMO.
A native Linux client would be amazing because, you won't have to do all of those tweaks to get it to work.

If it's changed, awesome. I haven't used WINE since 0.9.36, just like the poster above me.
85 Gnome Warlock
I dual boot windows and ubuntu. Only really use windows for wow.
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
One of the big problems with Linux, and this is from other game developers too, is the problem of targeting a specific version of the platform. Since everyone is free to create their own distros, they can become somewhat unstandardized. That makes "targetting linux" difficult.

Add on that there are far fewer linux users than windows/mac users, and that you can play wow on linux using Wine... and there isn't a lot of reason to target even a specific distro.
43 Tauren Priest
Current WINE support for WoW is awesome. The latest stable release (1.2.2) runs WoW like a charm. Most people can actually run it without any configuration whatsoever. The only thing off the top of my head that is missing is dynamic shadows. Everything else works well (though Vent can be troublesome).

Honestly, it just isn't financially worth it for Blizzard to make a native Linux version. And considering how well it runs anyway, there really isn't any need.
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
Last time I checked the developers have their own internal build of a linux client they use for testing.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
85 Draenei Shaman
I installed Wine 1.2 on the latest Ubuntu distro, and WoW ran perfectly for me (and actually at a higher FPS than under Windows 7). I just ran the same copy of it that's installed to an NTFS partition for Windows usage, the only setting I had to adjust was adding -opengl to the command to launch it.

If you need Vent under Linux, Mangler works well. The only feature it's missing is the ability to apply sound filters, which means you can't normalize volumes, although I'm sure there is a way to enable something like that in another way.
11 Goblin Rogue
i've been runnin wow on wine for the last 3 years now, and the wine team just keeps getting better. you can now run it in d3d9 mode with no major issues (water detail has some issues), but the full shadows and sunshafts work great. you just need to be runnin the latest dev version of wine which is 1.3.11 (last i checked).
80 Human Warrior
01/22/2011 9:54 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
Last time I checked the developers have their own internal build of a linux client they use for testing.

Please ask them to open that up to external testing. I use Gentoo Linux and I would love to help test that.
Edited by Andrar on 1/26/2011 9:28 AM PST
85 Dwarf Paladin

Tell them to stop being so selfish and release it! Stick up a "support" section in the forums and have the EULA state something like:

"We do not officially support this client, for any help you are on your own or you can visit [link to linux section]."
85 Blood Elf Paladin
01/21/2011 2:20 PMPosted by Snowfox
One of the big problems with Linux, and this is from other game developers too, is the problem of targeting a specific version of the platform. Since everyone is free to create their own distros, they can become somewhat unstandardized. That makes "targetting linux" difficult.

Add on that there are far fewer linux users than windows/mac users, and that you can play wow on linux using Wine... and there isn't a lot of reason to target even a specific distro.

Um...Doom3 and Never Winter Nights both have native Linux clients and didn't target a specific distribution. World of Goo is another. For all the differences in the Linux distributions they all are fairly similar in their structure in the end. Don't go quoting me on this as it has been to many years now but I think the only major issue either of the two had was with Doom3. I think it broke with newer distributions because of a glibc update but ID released a patch quickly that fixed that problem. 1.3 to 1.3.1 I believe it was.

Targeting a specific distribution of Linux is the wrong way to go about it. You should aim to be LSB and Posix compliant. If your program won't run on a certain distribution after that then it is the distribution's fault not being compliant at that point. Exceptions always exist to every thing however. :)

The argument of there are fewer Linux users than Windows/MAC is biased. What I can't get on Linux (or get to work satisfactorily) I turn to Windows/MAC for and I doubt I'm the only one that does this. This skews the numbers terribly. Sure if by some miracle we could get 100% accurate results the number may still favor windows/mac by a large margin but it won't be as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I've actually been surprised these past few years by the amount to people that not only know what Linux is but actually bring their PC in to me to be worked on with Ubuntu/Fedora intentionally installed as the only OS even! Normally the problems I deal with when I get a "Linux" PC have equivalents in "Windows" PCs. Such as forgetting their username/password, doesn't boot for some reason [Linux no root volume vs Window's UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. Both just need a quick filesystem check from a recovery cd], or some other simple problem; well, simple for me I should say at least.

"To each his own" or whatever that saying is exactly. I'm all for people using whatever OS and "version" of the OS they want to. Being brushed off because of a reason that is hard-impossible to prove or disprove is irksome.

Any way I can get in on that testing. I won't tell promise--cross my heart hope to die. :)

Tell them to [s]stop being so selfish and[/s] release it! Stick up a "support" section in the forums and have the EULA state something like:

"We do not officially support this client, for any help you are on your own or you can visit [link to linux section]."

I'd go for that option in a less than a heartbeat.

/offtopic This thread made Phoronix. :) http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTA0NQ
85 Gnome Warlock

Targeting a specific distribution of Linux is the wrong way to go about it. You should aim to be LSB and Posix compliant. If your program won't run on a certain distribution after that then it is the distribution's fault not being compliant at that point. Exceptions always exist to every thing however. :)

Any way I can get in on that testing. I won't tell promise--cross my heart hope to die. :)

Furthermore, if Blizzard did stick with the LSB and Posix, they could likely get away with supplying a package for only one distro, say, Ubuntu. Given that, I'm fairly certain that the communities for other distros would quickly find workarounds to use the contents of the .deb or whatever and make them work in their distros.

And yeah, I'll be a free bug-tester for you, Blizzard. Just let me know how to get a Linux client, and I'll take care of the rest!
85 Dwarf Paladin

Correct! I don't how often I hear the straw man argument about supporting all the distributions linux has to offer only to think to myself, "Well, NWN, UT2k4, HoN, Warzone2100, etc all run on all the linux platforms and they do not target a single distribution." Yes, it may be a little more work than just dpgk -i (or double click nowadays) but in the end I wouldn't care one bit if I had to compile a native client for WoW.

Furthermore, if Blizzard did stick with the LSB and Posix, they could likely get away with supplying a package for only one distro, say, Ubuntu. Given that, I'm fairly certain that the communities for other distros would quickly find workarounds to use the contents of the .deb or whatever and make them work in their distros.

This might cause internal bickering for the linux community (most of it is harmless and playful) as from what I've seen most regard Ubuntu as the n00b nix, however I if something like this did happen I could guarantee the community would have a working client within days... if not hours for each of the popular distros out there.

/giveusanativeclientblizzard :P
Edited by Dinadan on 1/27/2011 9:39 AM PST
85 Troll Druid
Removed ;) Others stated my points already, no need to rehash things.

TL;DR; Linux isn't as hard to target as people think. LSB and POSIX exist for a reason; target Ubuntu or Debian and call it a day.
Edited by Oraak on 1/27/2011 9:53 AM PST
85 Orc Shaman
Yeah saddly I am running on WINE right now as well, dislike the concept of running WINE.

I was so happy with the humble indie pack... all of those games that were native to linux...
85 Blood Elf Paladin
01/27/2011 10:02 AMPosted by Kocrashon
Yeah saddly I am running on WINE right now as well, dislike the concept of running WINE.

I was so happy with the humble indie pack... all of those games that were native to linux...
I always forget about the indie games. I swear all of them freaking have a linux client. Being an indie developer they probably make/test/play the games on linux then port it to windows because it it cheaper. >_>
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]