How do i use flying mounts?

(Locked)

85 Undead Mage
Expert Riding (Flying) training costs 200g. The flight master's license (flying in azeroth) costs an additional 200g and cannot be bought until you have the cataclysm expansion. If you really bought flying for eastern kingdoms and kalimdor you would have to spend at least 400g.

If you do not have the Cataclysm expansion you can only fly in Outland, and Northrend once you reach level 68.
Edited by Grimflamenco on 1/24/2011 6:46 PM PST
70 Orc Hunter
01/24/2011 6:31 PMPosted by Leidin
I know it says 58 - but I am a lvl 60.

I just purchased the training and the mount. And I cannot fly anywhere. The icon states that I should be able to fly in Eastern etc. Does not work.

I do not have cata - if that is required than Blizzard should not be allowing me to purchase the mount and training (almost 260G).

If I'm doing something wrong - please let me know!!

Every time I click the icon it says - "You can't do that here"

For 260g you only purchased the flying that enables you to fly in Outland.
70 Human Warlock
I don't understand that - The Icon stated that it is for a All areas - Eastern etc. There was only an option for the one price for me. 260 mount included.

My question is - if I go buy Cata - will I then be able to fly everywhere?
85 Night Elf Druid
01/26/2011 6:47 PMPosted by Leidin
I don't understand that - The Icon stated that it is for a All areas - Eastern etc. There was only an option for the one price for me. 260 mount included.

If you upgrade to Cataclysm, you'll be able to go to Stormwind and purchase the Flight License for 250g that lets you fly in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms.

The riding training itself gives you the ability to use flying mounts, but you need to buy the Flight License to be able to fly in Azeroth (and Deepholm later) and Cold Weather Flying at 68 to be able to fly in Northrend. Until you get those two things, you can only use your flying mount in Outland.
Edited by Icedragon on 1/26/2011 6:55 PM PST
85 Undead Mage
01/26/2011 6:47 PMPosted by Leidin

Only if you buy the flight master's license first for another 200g. In order to fly in EK/Kalimdor you must buy both the flying skill and the flight master's license. Also, you'll need both burning crusade and wrath of the lich king before you can buy cataclysm.
70 Blood Elf Hunter
humm, pretty upsetting, spent a ton of money for virtually no reason.
85 Night Elf Hunter
I bought Cata just for this, and I can say that it is totally worth it. Travelling is so much easier, faster and fun now, especially for someone like me who isn't good at pathfinding. I hope I have enough when I reach level 70 todouble my flying speed.
85 Night Elf Druid
Look you need cata end of it okay?
48 Human Warrior
Leidin, you and Hapadwahip are having the exact same issue. The mount you bought is the general flying mount, it will fly in Azeroth when you upgrade to cataclysm and buy the special flying licence that enables flying in the original and cataclysm zones. The training you bought is for flying but it is only good in Outland.
48 Human Warrior
Melphis, you didn't buy it for no reason, when you go to Outland (which you should be doing right about now given your level) the training and mount you just bought will fly in Outland. To get to Outland, you need to go through the Dark Portal in the Blasted Lands, you can get there pretty quickly by heading for the mages in any city who have a portal open that will drop you right in front of the Dark Portal. Pick up the quest you see in the bottom of the crater in front of the Dark Portal. Once through the Dark Portal you will see a battle with high level demons in front of you, go down the steps to the first platform and turn left for alliance, right for horde. Turn in the quest you just picked up to get another one to send you to the first city on the FP. This is the first quest hub for Outland in the first Outland zone. Flying will work anywhere within Outlands.
Edited by Avaseah on 2/13/2011 5:02 PM PST
90 Human Death Knight
I know it says 58 - but I am a lvl 60.

I just purchased the training and the mount. And I cannot fly anywhere. The icon states that I should be able to fly in Eastern etc. Does not work.

I do not have cata - if that is required than Blizzard should not be allowing me to purchase the mount and training (almost 260G).

If I'm doing something wrong - please let me know!!

Every time I click the icon it says - "You can't do that here"
When I'm in Azeroth my gryphon icon is gray. That means I can't use it
90 Human Death Knight
I think there may be confusion here on what constitutes a 'flight master's license'. There are two seperate trainings - Master Riding, which permits flying with normal 150% flying mounts in Outland, and there is the Flight Master's License, which permits flying in Azeroth. Both become available at level 60, but the latter should only be available if you've purchased Cataclysm.

So, to those having issues, did you purchase only one new riding skill, or two?
90 Tauren Druid
I think there may be confusion here on what constitutes a 'flight master's license'. There are two seperate trainings - Master Riding, which permits flying with normal 150% flying mounts in Outland, and there is the Flight Master's License, which permits flying in Azeroth. Both become available at level 60, but the latter should only be available if you've purchased Cataclysm.

So, to those having issues, did you purchase only one new riding skill, or two?

Expert riding allows 150% flying mounts in Outland, Master Riding is 310% speed flying mounts
85 Night Elf Hunter
While we are discussing flying, I have a question:

-Which is faster: Master/Artisan flying manually or using a gryphon master? I just got Artisan flying and the upgraded speed is really convenient. Of course, for long distances I will probably prefer gryphon masters anyway because of convenience.
90 Tauren Druid
Master is faster than Artisian but it's not as noticable as expert to artisan is. Flight paths don't seem that consistant to me. Some I can keep up with having master flying, some are slower. Flying yourself will be faster 90% of the time though since you can fly in straight lines and flight paths often do not.
85 Worgen Warrior
W hat I am confused about is the mounts. I now have cold weather flying and the 4000 gold (artisan flying I believe) but can I get to 280% with my standard gryphon or do I need the swift gryphon. And even then, if I upgrade to the master 310% flying, can I actually fly 310 with that mount or do I have to upgrade mounts again?
90 Tauren Druid
As of 4.0.1 all mounts scale with riding skill. It used to be to get 280% flying you had to purchase the skill and a fast mount, this is no longer the case. If you have Master level flying you can go 310% with a standard gryphon.

EDIT: It doesn't work the other way though, Swift flying mounts still require Artisan training and there are some mounts that require Master training to ride.
Edited by Dasffion on 2/14/2011 12:26 PM PST
85 Orc Death Knight
02/13/2011 4:38 PMPosted by Wowthug
Look you need cata end of it okay?

Please don't necro threads. The OP's issue was already resolved, and there was no need to answer his question again.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]