Blood Elf Druids

47 Worgen Hunter
Except we've known that arcane magic has continued in night elf society even though they rejected it. We've had confirmation of that since Illidan was included in WCIII. By contrast, there's no documentation of druidism having ever caught on with the high elves, probably because Arcane magic is a far older tradition than druidism. Druidism was relatively new when the highborne-who-would-be-high-elves (as opposed to the highborne-who-would-be-shen'dralar) were exiled, and so they couldn't really grab any books on it or get a druid teacher to come with them across the sea, whereas pretty much every part of the old night elf empire practiced arcane magic so it'd be far harder to simply forget it.

Except my point was about theme, not circumstance.

Blizzard set a precedence by saying Night Elves can now learn arcane magic because the Highborne returned. They could carry that over to Blood Elves too, if they wished. But hell, they don't even need that.

If they can say Orc Mages are okay because some old lady lived in the Undercity for awhile, they can dilute your class a bit more and let more races do it.

And hey, I'm not saying I'm for Blood Elf Druids either. Their colour theme would look a little silly, I think, with cat form and what not. And the armor? Would look silly on Blood Elves too.

Not to mention, there's no current third race on the Alliance that would make good Druids to make up for it. Dwarves and Draenei aren't about grace and nature, they're about brute strength. I don't even want to talk about Gnomes. Human druids after the creation of worgen ones would be a bit redundant.

Though I still want the Alliance to have wing-men on their side ><. They could be Druids. And Shaman. And shut people up about High Elves.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I hate to say this, but when it comes to race-class access, Blizzard can make up a lore excuse for just about any race/class combination. Trying to make an argument against why a race can't be a certain class is fairly futile, as what matters is why they can be a certain class as well as why Blizzard feels that available classes are more appropriate at this time than other classes.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
As for the Race on Alliance that could get Druids, I would still say Humans or Draenei would be the best choice.

01/24/2011 11:36 PMPosted by Culain
I hate to say this, but when it comes to race-class access, Blizzard can make up a lore excuse for just about any race/class combination. Trying to make an argument against why a race can't be a certain class is fairly futile, as what matters is why they can be a certain class as well as why Blizzard feels that available classes are more appropriate at this time than other classes.

This is true, as when it comes down to it lore wise, every race should almost have every class, maybe with a couple of exceptions. Just look at Tauren Paladins, everyone insisted that a Paladin had to be a Silver Hand-esque order, as Draenei were the original Paladins while Blood Knights were a perverted version. It was also said that Paladins must explicitly follow the Light and know it was the Light, the Tauren however shattered that definition. The new meaning of being a Paladin was to be a righteous Crusader of any cause or god, and I think that it made to lore better and added a lot more flavor to it.

There's no reason that the strict definition to Druid can't be expanded on as well as every race looks at Druidism differently, a reform within Blood Elves concerning Druidism is also wholly possible since they as a race are in a state of flux right now.
Edited by Seryna on 1/25/2011 12:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
That said, I do not think that blood elves should get druids. I do not have anything personally against blood elf druids, but I think that orcs, in particular, should be next for Horde druids due to their more limited class access in comparison with blood elves.
Reply Quote
60 Blood Elf Death Knight
01/24/2011 6:57 PMPosted by Culain
Actually we did have evidence for high elf druids, but that was all retconned away when Blizzard developed the night elves and had to make them culturally distinct from high elves via arcane vs. drudic magic. High elf druids and high elves "living in harmony with nature" spiel were then thrown on the chopping block.

You know, as you were mentioning, this could easily be worked into the storyline (why they would have retconned this in the first place, I don't know). Just as the Troll druids came out of hiding, so to speak, the same exact scenario can work for a group of High Elves, and a new sect of druids is born. Maybe, to appease the masses (somewhat), the BE druid can have different eye color options (either blue or green).

Either way, it can work. I hope it does work: elves before orcs. They have a much closer connection to druidism than the orcs.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Hunter
There's no lore reason for Blood Elves not to be Druids. There's one in Kael'thas' employ, after all. That being said, I doubt Blood Elf Druids would be all that popular given the new ability to employ racials while shifted.

Arcane Torrent isn't exactly a supremely widely used ability compared to say...war stomp.
Reply Quote
60 Blood Elf Death Knight
Could be all you need in a pvp setting to stop a whole group of close-range enemies from casting, even for the briefest of moments. It has its uses too. :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
If the night elves could return for arcane practices why the blood elves cant look at the nature magic? hm? hm?

I really dont care about the cenarion circle and their permition to be a druid or even the permition of ysera. Blood elves WANT to rule over nature? We can force it and bound it to our will... thats all!

We can become the badass druids!!! [Instead the hippie ones]

(^.^) but i really hate the moonkin/tree form. [Moonkin even more lol]
Reply Quote
"Except we've known that arcane magic has continued in night elf society even though they rejected it. We've had confirmation of that since Illidan was included in WCIII. By contrast, there's no documentation of druidism having ever caught on with the high elves, probably because Arcane magic is a far older tradition than druidism. Druidism was relatively new when the highborne-who-would-be-high-elves (as opposed to the highborne-who-would-be-shen'dralar) were exiled, and so they couldn't really grab any books on it or get a druid teacher to come with them across the sea, whereas pretty much every part of the old night elf empire practiced arcane magic so it'd be far harder to simply forget it."

I never get why people keep saying there can be no druids amongst the Thalasians, when there is clear and lore-grounded evidence, both in the books and in the game that says otherwise. The Runewardens of Quel'Thalas are/were all druids. Currently there is one, in the game, and he is working to restore the Runestones to their full power. There's even a quest involving it, in Eversong Woods. The Runewardens also created Sivermoon City, shaping the stone and whatnot to fit the needs of the Quel'dorei, just as the Kaldorei shaped wood to fit their needs for making buildings. As to altering the environment, lets have a look at the sabre mounts. They are mutated by the Kaldorei to serve in that function, as was clearly shown by the research performed by the Forsaken Apothecary in Felwood, before the Cataclysm. The elves of both factions, like it or not, are guilty of ecomanipulation.

What we see amongst the Thalassians is that a disproportionate number of the society is geared toward the Arcane. That does not necessarily exclude Nature. The fact that prior to the creation of the Blood Knights the main body of the Thalassian military was Rangers shows that the Thalassians were quite adept at the use of Nature magic. And the Blood Elves no longer feed on Arcane Magic. The re-igniting of the Sunwell as their font of power removed the mana tap ability from their racial, back in the Burning Crusade, meaning they don't need to feed from arcane sources anymore. The Burning Crusade content has yet to be updated and synchronized with Cataclysm, anyway. Roll a new blood elf, and see who makes the entry into the Horde official, now. Garrosh Hellscream. Not Thrall, as it is supposed to be. It, like many other things, is a glaring timeline error, and will continue to be for some time, as is anything involving the blood elves and dranei.
Edited by Asera on 1/25/2011 10:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
01/25/2011 9:18 AMPosted by Iceheart
Either way, it can work. I hope it does work: elves before orcs. They have a much closer connection to druidism than the orcs.
Orcs have the least amount of class access than any other race in the Horde. They presently cannot be either druids, priests, or paladins. One of those will have to give in the next wave of race-class openings. Make a guess which one is likelier to give. At least orcs are presently working closely, side-by-side, with two Horde races with the druid class (tauren and troll). Something druidic is bound to rub off on the orcs.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I'd say Priests would be the best option for Orcs. All one needs to be a Priest is faith in a cause or a deity, Trolls have voodoo priests which tie into their Shamanism a bit, Priests for Orcs could tie into their shamanistic beliefs as well. Orcs are big on lumber as well, which obviously isn't well received by the Night Elves as a whole and most likely the Cenarion Circle either.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
01/25/2011 2:44 PMPosted by Seryna
I'd say Priests would be the best option for Orcs. All one needs to be a Priest is faith in a cause or a deity, Trolls have voodoo priests which tie into their Shamanism a bit, Priests for Orcs could tie into their shamanistic beliefs as well. Orcs are big on lumber as well, which obviously isn't well received by the Night Elves as a whole and most likely the Cenarion Circle either.
Yeah, I'm not buying that. I'd say orcs getting druids is likelier. Not all orcs are of the Warsong Clan. Humans are also big on lumber, and Gilneans were big into industrialization, but that never stopped them from getting druids.
Edited by Culain on 1/25/2011 2:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
01/25/2011 2:48 PMPosted by Culain
Yeah, I'm not buying that. I'd say orcs getting druids is likelier. Not all orcs are of the Warsong Clan. Humans are also big on lumber, and Gilneans were big into industrialization, but that never stopped them from getting druids.

I'd say Blood Elves getting Druids is more likelier, the Blood Elves aren't that big on lumber, if at all, and when they founded Quel'thalas and built Silvermoon, they built the city into the landscape out of respect for nature. I still think that Orcs having Priests would fit better.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
01/25/2011 3:00 PMPosted by Seryna

I'd say Blood Elves getting Druids is more likelier, the Blood Elves aren't that big on lumber, if at all, and when they founded Quel'thalas and built Silvermoon, they built the city into the landscape out of respect for nature. I still think that Orcs having Priests would fit better.
Why do you keep bringing up lumber?! I told you before, the issue of lumber did not stop industrialized humans (aka Gilneas) from getting druids! Lumber doesn't matter! It's a complete red herring.
Edited by Culain on 1/25/2011 4:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Ok, I still think Priests are a better fit though.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
well before this spawns into a cesspool of misinformed ignorance about how BEs are able to be droods and this becomes a dead horse beating, im going to remove the corpse so it wont start (HUR DUR BE BOTATNIST WAS MANIPULATING NATURE WITH MAGIC NOT DRUID POWERS)

--long post I don't want to spam the page with--

This was quite possibly the most informative and funniest post I've read in quite a while. Kudos, good sir. But who knows what will happen in cataclysm as far as lore is concerned? With Cairne dead and Garrosh in charge, Vol'jin's pretty pissed as it is, and blood elves can't stay out of the political muck for much longer... And since the blood elves haven't had much of a ruler (in the absolute monarchy sense, since Silvermoon is being run between essentially 3 or so people), a shift in power may be forced to happen, in which case the new "king's" view on ~unity with nature~ could differ significantly...

But maybe I'm totally off. This is all speculation.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
01/25/2011 09:23 AMPosted by Starstalker
Arcane Torrent isn't exactly a supremely widely used ability compared to say...war stomp.

Really? On my rogue I use it all of the time. And druid cats are more or less rogues. What's wrong with another silencer? It's fantastic in PvP settings...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
That said, I do not think that blood elves should get druids. I do not have anything personally against blood elf druids, but I think that orcs, in particular, should be next for Horde druids due to their more limited class access in comparison with blood elves.

imho, Orcs and humans should be the very last classes to get druids.

The first character I ever rolled was a Night Elf druid, and remember walking into Ashenvale and being absolutely horrified by Warsong Lumber Camps and disrespect for everything the night elves held dear. Since then I've switched over, but my goodness.

Orcs need more class choices, though. Paladin, priest, etc.

Just not druid.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
well before this spawns into a cesspool of misinformed ignorance about how BEs are able to be droods and this becomes a dead horse beating, im going to remove the corpse so it wont start (HUR DUR BE BOTATNIST WAS MANIPULATING NATURE WITH MAGIC NOT DRUID POWERS)

--long post I don't want to spam the page with--

This was quite possibly the most informative and funniest post I've read in quite a while. Kudos, good sir. But who knows what will happen in cataclysm as far as lore is concerned? With Cairne dead and Garrosh in charge, Vol'jin's pretty pissed as it is, and blood elves can't stay out of the political muck for much longer... And since the blood elves haven't had much of a ruler (in the absolute monarchy sense, since Silvermoon is being run between essentially 3 or so people), a shift in power may be forced to happen, in which case the new "king's" view on ~unity with nature~ could differ significantly...

But maybe I'm totally off. This is all speculation.

Okay, why the hell would Quel'thalas' shift in government somehow bring them closer to nature? A shift of government would be, like, the Farstriders starting a military coup and installing Halduron as a Generalissimo or giving more power to the Convocation of Silvermoon to form a constitutional monarchy or something, but what train of logic then brings them to be druids?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
As for the Race on Alliance that could get Druids, I would still say Humans or Draenei would be the best choice.

This is true, as when it comes down to it lore wise, every race should almost have every class, maybe with a couple of exceptions. Just look at Tauren Paladins, everyone insisted that a Paladin had to be a Silver Hand-esque order, as Draenei were the original Paladins while Blood Knights were a perverted version. It was also said that Paladins must explicitly follow the Light and know it was the Light, the Tauren however shattered that definition. The new meaning of being a Paladin was to be a righteous Crusader of any cause or god, and I think that it made to lore better and added a lot more flavor to it.

There's no reason that the strict definition to Druid can't be expanded on as well as every race looks at Druidism differently, a reform within Blood Elves concerning Druidism is also wholly possible since they as a race are in a state of flux right now.
Wildhammer dwarves have druids you know.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]