Heirloom/BoA Item Solution

68 Undead Priest
Note: For those who can't stand to read this, there is a TL;DR version at the bottom.

With a recent surge in "Why Can't I Mail BoA Items Across Servers?" threads, I've decided to toss this idea out into General Discussion. It originally appeared in another thread (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1921698507?page=1#18) as a response post, but I've since expanded on my thoughts and feel that, as its own thread, there's a better chance it will be seen by the folks who can implement the idea.

The easiest solution to accessing Heirlooms on alternate servers would simply to make them unlock across your account once purchased, similar to Death Knight creation is enabled when you have a single character at level 55. Due to the possibility of characters returning the initial Heirloom purchase for a refund, the player's account will only update once an Heirloom reaches the non-refundable point. This prevents players from "acquiring" all possible Heirloom items without spending any points.

Throw in a Family Heirloom Chest in all the starter zones and only allow players to withdraw items their account has unlocked -- in a manner similar to the Guild Vendor. If a player has not unlocked an Heirloom, it would not appear in the Chest's "vendor" window.

The Chest would not function in a 1:1 ratio; that is to say, once an Heirloom is unlocked, any number of said item may be withdrawn by any number of characters. You want two Balanced Heartseeker for your Rogue? Fine. You want twenty? Go for it. Heirlooms don't have a vendor value (beyond the initial vendor refund, from which the Chest would be exempt) and cannot be disenchanted, so there's absolutely no profit to be gained from loading down your inventory with excess pieces.

There would be downsides, for both the player and Blizzard, with this approach.

First and foremost, this eliminates the need to grind out the JP/Honor for any given Heirloom piece more than once. That's time spent in dungeons; you pay to play, regardless of what you're doing, and Blizzard likes paying customers. Though the same could be said for the ability to create multiple Death Knight characters across a variety of servers after only reaching level 55 once.

Second, this would mean that players no longer need to transfer characters holding a collection of Heirlooms in order to have these items on a new realm. Naturally, Blizzard would lose out on the occasional $25 character transfer fee. This is somewhat of a moot point, as Blizzard has expressed the desire to enable some form of cross-server transferring of Heirlooms, but I felt that it should be covered nonetheless.

Finally, as for the player, while you would have all your shiny gear on whatever server you decide to play on, you wouldn't start with any enchants on weapons, cloaks, or chest pieces. You'd need to spend time gathering ore/herbs/leather/cloth to sell and work up some cash before outfitting your new Rogue with a pair of +15 Agility enchants. So, despite Blizzard losing the time you would farm up JP/Honor, they now stand to gain the time you spend farming goods to sell.

If Blizzard really wanted to stretch things, they could also include other Account-Bound items that a player may have acquired such as the Onyxian Whelpling and Baby Blizzard Bear, but this idea was mainly meant to focus on Heirloom equipment. Certain Account-Bound items such as Arcanum of Blissful Mending will, naturally, not be available, as you're meant to re-purchase such enchants if needed.

TL;DR Version:
Buying an Heirloom unlocks it for your entire account. New characters can pick up as many as they want immediately after creation, on any realm. No cross-server mail required.

Comments and suggestions are most certainly welcome.
Edited by Khalia on 1/24/2011 5:08 PM PST
85 Human Paladin
I like this idea.
68 Undead Priest
Guess we could use an actual Suggestion Forum about now, eh?
85 Gnome Mage
Pretty nifty!
85 Human Paladin
This is actually a really good idea. I don't see any problems with it.
85 Worgen Warlock
I see no negatives. It does seem ridiculous that I have to farm again for stuff I already own.

Great idea!
85 Worgen Mage
Great idea.
+1 OP.
100 Night Elf Druid
If they want us to grind out extra points they could make the first item/slot cost full Points and extra copies of that same item 1/2 the points.

All characters could contribute points into a pool and then spend the points on unlocked items. Items could be returned to the vender for 1/2 or 1/4 the full price refund into the pool.
68 Undead Priest
01/24/2011 4:51 PMPosted by Reconcile
However, you would have to remove the ability of them being refundable for 2 hours(Unless it's the first time you buy it) because people could abuse that for infinite JP.
Precisely. Items "purchased" via the Chest would be non-refundable.

Ah, you've given me a new point to consider: refunds! I'd overlooked the possibility of a player purchasing an Heirloom (thus the account is flagged as possessing it) and then simply returning the item to the vendor!

The initial post is going to be edited to alleviate this scenario.
85 Human Hunter
This....is a really good idea. You could have the initial purchase of the heirloom be the key to unlocking them account wide however.
90 Orc Hunter
Maybe you unlock a certain slot for heirlooms. Then when you jump on an alt there is a vendor in the starting area that says "Hello, I have heirlooms ordered by Garrosh/Varian for you. Please choose the heirlooms you would like to recieve." Then you choose one for each gear slot you have purchased. You cannot trade the looms and they stay in your characters bags forever. No, you can't delete it. You can put it in the bank, but it will always be with you on each character.
76 Orc Death Knight
I don't care how they do it, I just want to be able to send my heirlooms cross realm!

But this heirlooms chest idea sounds like a good one.
68 Undead Priest
01/24/2011 5:07 PMPosted by Jilluck
You cannot trade the looms and they stay in your characters bags forever. No, you can't delete it. You can put it in the bank, but it will always be with you on each character.
A bit of a harsh penalty for using gear you've acquired, wouldn't you say? What if players were never allowed to delete their Tier gear from raids?
90 Orc Hunter
01/24/2011 5:26 PMPosted by Khalia
A bit of a harsh penalty for using gear you've acquired, wouldn't you say? What if players were never allowed to delete their Tier gear from raids?

The idea is that in later expansions, this gear will still be useful and they wouldn't want you to throw away gear that you could never get back. Raiding gear can still be obtained through raiding, but the loom will be a permanent decision, the same way choosing your class is.
68 Undead Priest
01/24/2011 5:31 PMPosted by Jilluck
The idea is that in later expansions, this gear will still be useful and they wouldn't want you to throw away gear that you could never get back. Raiding gear can still be obtained through raiding, but the loom will be a permanent decision, the same way choosing your class is.
I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make.

You aren't limited to a single use of the Chest. A Paladin could pick up a Bloodied Arcanite Reaper initially at level one, and then return at level 30 for a one-handed weapon should he decide to tank. You're never cut off from the equipment.

Once you out-level your Heirloom gear, it does get replaced. Wrath equipment only scales to level 80, making it obsolete when you start clearing early Cataclysm quests. I don't see the need to penalize someone by taking up excess bag/bank space later on for using their Heirloom equipment.
80 Human Paladin
This has been tossed around before in varying forms. My favorite is when you buy heirloom gear all your characters already created get a mail with the item attached. When you create a new character they get some mail with all heirloom gear you have already purchased attached, much like the items you suggested. They would be BoP as well with no vendor value as you wouldn't need to mail them anywhere. Only downside would be the lack of enchants on them like you have now but that is a small setback.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]