90 Undead Mage
No, really. Here's a guide....

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Damnit Roopert, your post makes me twitch. You know better! *shakefist*
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
I heart The Oatmeal more than my own mother.
Reply Quote

01/19/2011 8:29 PMPosted by Roopert
I think that their link is an good way to learn how to spell, type good, thank you wrath i can improve my skill's alot

9/10

You forgot the random quotation marks.

Excuse me, the random "quotation" marks.

/twitch
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I feel as this comic has had much of an affect on me. I feel that this should be a sticky so their will be less misuse of certain words. I mean now a days words are used so losely that there seems to be no respect for the English language. its now our job to not wierd out the others in our attempts to clean it up. They're is a solution and i do believe its this comic so it will be you're job to spread the word of oatmeal, even though there maybe alot of those misguided fools. Only than can their be peace in the English world. (As for the central Americans we can only pray that they see the light of proper English grammar cause i cant read a single word they say)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
*twitch*
Reply Quote
86 Human Mage
I've got a problem with the Oatmeal's stance on "alot" vs. "a lot". Don't we say "away", "again", etc.? I can get with the stuff about (<==) dolphins and wolverines though :P
Reply Quote
86 Human Mage
Actual words because we agree that they are, but they are made by joining the word "a" to another word.
Reply Quote
86 Human Mage
01/27/2011 12:04 PMPosted by Roopert
Actual words because we agree that they are, but they are made by joining the word "a" to another word.

Alot is not a word.

I'm not disputing that, but by analogy to words like "around" which were made by combining "a" (which once meant "at" or "to") with another word, it seems arbitrary.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
The separation of the A from the rest of the word changes it's meaning. The joinings and separations are meaningful and thusly your argument is invalid. Shush, it's English, not Vodrodish.
Reply Quote
86 Human Mage
Thusly is not a word.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
01/31/2011 9:28 AMPosted by Vodorod
Thusly is not a word.

Did you look that up? Thusly is a variant of the word thus meaning "in this manner".
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
"thus·ly (sl)
adv. Usage Problem
Thus.
Usage Note: Thusly was introduced in the 19th century as an alternative to thus in sentences such as Hold it thus or He put it thus. It appears to have first been used by humorists, who may have been echoing the speech of poorly educated people straining to sound stylish. The word has subsequently gained some currency in educated usage, but it is still often regarded as incorrect. A large majority of the Usage Panel found it unacceptable in an earlier survey. In formal writing thus can still be used as in the examples above; in other styles this way, like this, and other such expressions are more natural."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/thusly

"Thusly is a nonexistent word. Thus is an adverb, so the -ly version is a needless variant."

http://www.grammarist.com/usage-errors/nonexistent-words/thusly-not-a-word/

Thank you Alton Brown for knowingly making our world a little dumber, more pretentious place.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Wrath when did you become a humorist?
Reply Quote
Oh looks like we got a wisenheimer over here.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
When have I ever NOT been a humorist when posting on these forums? I mean, wasn't this thread a joke to begin with?

I wanted to sound stylish and trendy without knowing all the excessive psychobabble that "educated" people use.

"Aw heck, that ole book ain't nuthin' but a bunch o' wurds!"

Oh yeah........

weisenheimer

noun
an upstart who makes conceited, sardonic, insolent comments [syn: wise guy]

Yes.
Edited by Wrathchilde on 2/1/2011 10:29 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]