Cataclysm Questing is So Linear

(Locked)

28 Human Paladin
01/20/2011 12:58 PMPosted by Tyrenn
Every zone is one big linear story.
I kinda like it that way. Makes me feel like the character is actually doing something important, rather than randomly accepting tasks for people.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I like and hate it, I like that the quests in 1-60 are not...

Guy in Winterspring: Head on down to Silithus and give this guy my pencil so he can write an essay on old world quests.
Guy in Silithus: Thanks dude, I'm done could you go return this pencil to the Winterspring dude.
Guy in Winterspring: Thanks man, here is 50 silver and 2000 EXP.

But I also preferred the atmosphere and non-linear feeling the old, not stupid like the above, ones had.
Edited by Ethlin on 1/20/2011 1:15 PM PST
90 Tauren Druid
I rather like the new way better. With phasing it appears that we have an actual impact on the world around us. Also, we're constantly sent on a journey to further the cause, whatever that cause may be.

It sure beats the non-linear option.

NPC: "you are just in time. I need 10 of the things that type of mob has, QUICKLY!"
ME: "Hey, I got you your stuff as fast as I could, here it is."
NPC: "Thanks."

ME: "...... what do I do now?"
NPC: "How is that my problem?"
90 Pandaren Mage
01/20/2011 1:04 PMPosted by Vìndictus
It was always linear.

I think the issue right now isn't so much that it's linear, but that because the chains are so tightly bound together, you aren't given the ability to skip one or two quests. If you don't do them, you aren't allowed to progress.

Think about it like this in the fictional world of Outland with Cataclysm design:

You're going to Hellfire for the upteenth time. You know which quests you want to do and which ones aren't worth the time to you. So you skip them and by the time you're done with Thrallmar, you head over to Falcon Watch. But wait, because you didn't do every single quest in Thrallmar, there are no quests in Falcon Watch unlocked! Because you skipped something that you don't want to do, you're not allowed to progress at all. That's how it feels. Thankfully, Outland isn't really like that. If it was, I'd probably shoot myself before entering it again.

I've never felt so constricted than I do with Cataclysm. I like the quests, but I like the feeling of saying "I didn't really like this hub so much, I'm gonna do the other ones first or skip it altogether"

Every quest is like an integral part of the story. Because of that, the game doesn't really like you skipping them. It's almost completely opposite of the way things used to be where pretty much every NPC had his own set of problems that needed fixing. Now every set of NPC is working together to make you fix the zone.
85 Undead Warrior
The begining questing zones were very linear, Hygal and Vash, However, I found that Deepholm, parts of Uldum, and Twight Highlands were not nearly as bad, you could get 5-6 quests at a time and do them
55 Tauren Death Knight
It's like I had commented earlier.

I feel like I am on a tour bus.

Like I should just roll a level 1, /follow the quest NPC and go read a book.

On the plus side, it was the first thing that made me actually want to reach outland. :)
35 Tauren Druid
01/20/2011 1:16 PMPosted by Holymoo
I rather like the new way better. With phasing it appears that we have an actual impact on the world around us. Also, we're constantly sent on a journey to further the cause, whatever that cause may be.

NPC: "you are just in time. I need 10 of the things that type of mob has, QUICKLY!"

That is basically how it is now though. Sure, they added a few more quests that are more enjoyable, but most of them involving killing some boss or x creatures.. or gathering x amount of items. Now though, instead of choosing what you want to do you are guided from one quest giver to the next. They should have had a mix of linear quests, as well as a healthy dose of regular quests. Then increase the xp requirement, so that the leveling process takes a bit more than 60 hours to hit 85. They rebuilt so much of the old world, it seems to have been wasted as it is now just a tiny fraction of your wow play time.
Edited by Ulohddon on 1/20/2011 1:23 PM PST
70 Undead Mage
The only gripe I have is if you enter some zones in the wrong place, you can't do any quests there, at all until you go to the other side of the zone. For example, in Thousand Needles (Alliance side questing), if you do not start at the old Alliance FP at the border of Feralas and Thousand Needles, you will not be able to do any quests at the Speed Barge which is on the other side of the zone, so if you are coming from Tanaris, you've got a long swim/trip ahead of you just to get ported back to the other side.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
01/20/2011 1:15 PMPosted by Tyrenn
You failed to mention them, but they're wholly irrelevant to the things you did mention. Are you just moving the goalpost?

I never said the old way made it feel like you made a difference. I said the new way does not make it seem like you make any more of a difference.

My argument was that they did not accomplish what they sought out for and instead of having it look like we made a difference we are essentially reading a book.

I never said the old way was any better..
Actually, that's exactly what you said. You said they killed it. Something has to be alive (the game would have to have it) in order to be killed.

But yes, it does look like you make a difference. Because it allows the world to change instead of remaining static. Maybe they don't have c&c, but they never said they were going that far.
90 Tauren Druid
01/20/2011 1:22 PMPosted by Tyrenn

Have you been to Astranaar? It is being attacked and is ON FIRE and the Alliance NPCs are sitting in the inn buying and selling stuff, calmly offering to make this inn your home. Why aren't they running around defending it?

Because phasing has its limits and Blizzard is pulling the wool over your eyes.

No, I have not been to Astranaar. Mostly because that's where the alliance go. I highly suspect that the innkeeper is actually a horde spy who is offering to make that your home as a way to try to get you killed in the fire.
36 Human Paladin
OP is right. Leveling to 85 when the expansion first came out there were a few times where i just ran out of quests to do because i missed one somewhere along the line and had to fly around to the ridiculous amounts of quest hubs scattered around just to find that missing quest so i could level again.

When you have to finish part A to go to part B with no alternative routes whatsoever, it's too linear. Whether you personally prefer it or not is irrelevant because it does take away the immersive feeling and no mmo ever wants to do that.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]