Cataclysm Questing is So Linear

(Locked)

90 Orc Shaman
01/20/2011 1:02 PMPosted by Killada
I dont know.. I kinda like new questing model. Yea its linear but it also makes me feel like part of the story rather than just a fedex courier.
36 Human Paladin
01/20/2011 1:30 PMPosted by Welcome
Whether you personally prefer it or not is irrelevant

This entire thread is all about personal preference.

because it does take away the immersive feeling and no mmo ever wants to do that.

I find it more immersive, no less.

No, people made it into a personal preference thread. The point of OP was why blizzard suddenly decided to go against their philosophy of wanting players to feel like they have a choice.

You find it immersive because you feel like you're part of a story. A mmo is not a story. You are essentially "living" the life of your character. That's what role playing means. If you want your life to be written out for you i guess you would find it immersive.
85 Goblin Warrior
It feels like a single player game atm.

Not once did I have to group to quest.

But the linear questing isn't that bad. At least it's...fun.
35 Tauren Druid
Since we are the topic of linear quests, has anyone tried to level without questing. I've been thinking, perhaps for a change I would give it a shot the old eq1 style. I only have seven days on my account, but hell perhaps it will give me that challenge that I find lacking in cataclysm while leveling.
85 Orc Hunter
01/20/2011 1:37 PMPosted by Welcome
o, people made it into a personal preference thread. The point of OP was why blizzard suddenly decided to go against their philosophy of wanting players to feel like they have a choice.

The OP made it a personal preference thread when he presented his own personal preference and asked if anyone else agrees.

This is correct, I'm sorry to say that some people will either hate or love the new questing and phasing. It's all a matter of preference. The same can be said about the new dungeon heroics. I love the challenge of the new dungeons even if I do end up wiping a dozen times. Some people though hate them and any sort of affront to their conceptions of what this game should be. You must understand that their are always two sides to an argument, and especially one as subjective as this.
1 Goblin Rogue
The phasing was cool in icecrown and wotlk because it was new and the phasing actually mattered in IC. You helping the npc's make preparations against the lich king, slowing invading and taking over his territory until finally forcing him to take action.

In cata blizz just went overkill on it. Almost every zone has phasing now but those don't even matter. They're mostly just taking back land that got taken over during the confusion of the sundering. After you finish the zone it's like "so what?", that zone is long forgotten and never mentioned again whereas IC was a constant part of the story throughout the expansion.

Basically blizzard saw the positive feedback from their new phasing feature and decided to add it to everything. Big mistake that has been done over and over again in the history of media entertainment.
Edited by Souther on 1/20/2011 1:49 PM PST
85 Draenei Shaman
01/20/2011 1:45 PMPosted by Souther
The phasing was cool in icecrown and wotlk because it was new and the phasing actually mattered in IC. You helping the npc's make preparations against the lich king, slowing invading and taking over his territory until finally forcing him to take action.

In cata blizz just went overkill on it. Almost every zone has phasing now but those don't even matter. They're mostly just taking back land that got taken over during the confusion of the sundering. After you finish the zone it's like "so what?", that zone is long forgotten and never mentioned again whereas IC was a constant part of the story throughout the expansion.

Basically blizzard saw the positive feedback from their new phasing feature and decided to add it to everything. Big mistake that has been done over and over again in the history of media entertainment.
The phasing AND the cut scenes. Cut scenes were cool at first, but by the time you get to Uldum and every other quest has a cut scene at the end of it, I started just minimizing my browser and reading Fark until it was over. And the second or third time you level a character it's just ridiculous.

And I agree with the OP about quests being way too linear. Hyjal is the worst, because you just trudge down the trail from one hub to the next and all the quest goals are practically within sight of the quest giver. It might as well have been an old school side scrolling game.

As for the Elite bosses, I don't think there's one fight where I felt like I was really fighting an Elite, or that it even made a difference that I was doing anything. You either get some gadget that turns them into a regular mob, or some NPC is doing the actual fighting for you.
Community Manager
For Cataclysm, we wanted to create more immersion with better storytelling, and we wanted your characters to feel connected to ebb and flow of Azeroth. This was something we hoped to accomplish through a number of mediums including quests.

Overall, we think we were successful in achieving those goals and making the leveling experience more story-driven, but we realize we may not have hit the nail perfectly on the head. For example, we've received a lot of feedback that suggests we made questing a bit too linear this expansion, and we're not in total disagreement. It's cool that your character has a visual impact on the world and can watch as key events unfold, sure, but sometimes it can feel a bit awkward when you're unable to explore content at your own pace because you're still locked to a particular phase. We also hear your concerns about cut-scenes, tradeskill nodes, and the effects phasing has on groups.

We're taking all these criticisms in stride and will be using them to improve the questing experience for future expansions and, to an extent, future patches. When it comes to questing, it's matter of finding a good balance between story and gameplay, and that tightrope can be a hard one to walk. Your feedback keeps us from swaying too far in any one direction, though, so we greatly appreciate threads like this one. Keep it up.

/high five
/respek knuckles
Edited by Lylirra on 2/3/2011 2:37 PM PST
87 Draenei Shaman
I loved the questing in Cata. I've got some ADHD issues and during Pre-BC, BC and LK I was all over the place. (remember when you hit 40 pre-bc and got your mount and you were like.. "wtf where do I go now? I had 2 toons at 40 for weeks). So personally I like it. I was able to stop and read the stories rather than go... "Great, another quest for my log that already has 10 or more in it." Makes it easier to stop and pick up, too =)
90 Draenei Warrior
Questing was good.

Application of phasing was bad.

Using phaisng on such a granular scale was very inconsitant in my experience.

It was overused in areas where it made more sense as the player to not phase.

And areas that it could have benefited the player had no phasing whatsoever.

Twilight highlands is a great example. Everything feels like your stuck in mid phase. To me it seems more appropriate to make the final zone empty of any phasing once you complete the quest hubs.

Don't get me started about phasing resources.
Edited by Uraeus on 2/3/2011 1:32 PM PST
85 Worgen Druid
I agree. Zones need more oracles/frenzyheart action. Where 2 factions in a zone are competing against each other. It'd be nice to have a choice of whom to side with more often than we do.
85 Tauren Druid
02/03/2011 1:18 PMPosted by Lylirra
We also hear your concerns about cut-scenes, tradeskill nodes, and phasing in general.

Hello.

I just want to make sure you are aware that phasing impacts skinning too, not just the node-based gathering skills. If you list the "best" savage leather skinning locations in Azeroth, you will discover that most of them are removed by phasing.

Examples include the chars in hyjal that get phased out once you free the old turtle, as well as the forest full of foxes and wolves which get phased out when it becomes an oasis after you complete a quest chain in uldum.

In a very real way, players are punished for completing quests. The more quests you complete, the more vital gathering resources are phased out. I also believe this is the reason that supply of crafting mats has been more scarce than anticipated. Your designers probably calculated the correct number of nodes and skinnable mobs. Unfortunately, something in the order of 50 to 75% of them all become phased and unreachable at any given time.

This is quite bad.
90 Human Death Knight
Linear questlines tell stories. I think it is so much better than pre-BC, where you ran (not flew, RAN...or AFK'd for a 20 minute flight) across a continent to hand off one thing, be rewarded with 2 new quests involving some bit character's personal struggle against local creatures, only to realize you now had to spend another 20 minutes flying back across the world (or worse, across continents) to do something completely unrelated.

In terms of leveling speed, don't forget that leveling is balanced around someone who has no guild perks or heirlooms.

RE: Nodes/Etc
This is frustrating, I'll admit. Do nodes have to be tied to particular phases?
Edited by Elegies on 2/3/2011 1:37 PM PST
90 Tauren Druid
The phased nodes are awful.

The storylines in the zones are amazing. Sure, it could have been better, but that goes for most things, in WoW and in life. They did a great job with what they were going for.

For the record, I also loved the new Stonetalon Mountains.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]