Cataclysm Questing is So Linear

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Hunter
I love the new questing style that came with Cata.

Perhaps it has turned the whole thing into a more single person based layout, which Vanilla to WotLK did not have as much.
I can remember even for quests that should be my level, needing to group with someone else to get it done.
Perhaps that has taken away some of the fun for an amount of the player base, but I along with others I have spoken with enjoy it.

I personally wish Outland and Northrend would get the same questing overhaul, as I absolutely hate the grind I'm going through, and have been going through since level 62.
And I'm still only level 76.

The quests are so boring and old style, and some of them I give up trying to do as I just cannot fathom them, but I'm not as hardcore as, well lets say my wife :P

I made a Worgen for the fun factor, and even began a new Nelf and Goat for other professions, and much prefer the quests now to previously.
Far less running aimlessly about, and it feels like I'm getting more done.

Perhaps it's not as hard, but thats where end game content comes in to it in my opinion.
- Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
I liked uldum cut scenes, it's cutscene in throne of tides that needs to go. sure you can skip but it's still an interuption to dungeon flow. dungeons do not need cut scenes. uldum was nice. as long as not every zone is that way. Phasing does interfere with gathering alts you don't quest on. but asside from that i have no real complaints on it. I like that questing impacts zone and i don't want to see this go away or even be reduced. Maybe just more care on node placement instead.
60 Troll Hunter
I liked the questing experience personally, but I didn't like how many pre-quests it takes to unlock some of the reps (looking at you Therazane). I also don't like how leveling an alt through Vash'jir feels like a waste of time since it didn't give me any rep, unlike Hyjal.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
The streamlined linear questing/phasing system is one of the best parts of Cataclysm, I think. I really enjoy it.
90 Human Death Knight
02/03/2011 1:36 PMPosted by Omegal
I liked uldum cut scenes, it's cutscene in throne of tides that needs to go. sure you can skip but it's still an interuption to dungeon flow.

I'd strongly agree with this. Now that I think on it, the cutscene really does interrupt the flow. It would be like if in the Steamvaults, when you operate the door-organs, it cut to a scene where you see the door opening. It's just not necessary. An emote would do the job nicely, without interrupting the action. :)
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for the update, Lylirra.

At first I was very against the linear questing, but then I played through some of the lower level quests and was impressed with story lines, such as the one in Stonetalon. I think now that it's good that Blizzard is trying out new methods of questing. If there had been more misc. quests around Stonetalon, maybe some mini-stories unrelated to the main chain, I felt that the questing experience would have been near perfect. I look forward to a better balance between the storytelling and exploring at your own pace.

Also glad to hear that phasing issues are being looked into. Phasing is an interesting concept, and I like what it makes the game capable of, story-wise--but it's pretty darn buggy right now.
Edited by Custodian on 2/3/2011 1:43 PM PST
55 Gnome Death Knight
I enjoyed the Cataclysm quests my first time through, but going through on alts they have become extrememley annoying. You have to do every zone to unlock the reps, the quests always have to be done in the same order, and you spend most of your time running back and forth to the questgivers after doing 1-2 quests at once. I miss the days of BC when I could literally pick up a full log of 25 quests at a time, do them in whatever order made the most sense in terms of geography, turn them in, and get half a level, then repeat.
85 Tauren Hunter
You got it wrong, it is more linear because your character does MORE of a difference as it goes on.

Sorry.
Edited by Damonu on 2/3/2011 1:42 PM PST
90 Troll Mage
01/20/2011 12:58 PMPosted by Tyrenn
Blizzard's overuse of linear phasing has killed the one thing they were trying to give us: more immersion and the feeling that our characters can make a difference.

...Wait, what? How is progressing through a storyline as it should be shown to us breaking the immersion?
Edited by Bloodaeonis on 2/3/2011 1:44 PM PST
85 Tauren Druid
The linear cutscene story telling aspect of Cata was fun the first go around, but for those of us who like to level multiple characters it takes away from our ability to do things differently the second or third time around. Ultimately you get tired of being pulled around as if you're an ox with a nose ring....
85 Human Paladin
02/03/2011 1:18 PMPosted by Lylirra
It's cool that your character has a visual impact on the world and can watch as key events unfold, sure, but sometimes it can feel a bit awkward when you're unable to explore content at your own pace because you're still locked to a particular phase. We also hear your concerns about cut-scenes, tradeskill nodes, and phasing in general.

We're taking all these criticisms in stride and will be using them to improve the questing experience for future expansions and, to an extent, future patches. When it comes to questing, it's matter of finding a good balance between story and gameplay, and that tightrope can be a hard one to walk. Your feedback keeps us from swaying too far in any one direction, though, so we greatly appreciate threads like this one. Keep it up.

Thank you very much for this response, for as a "Classic Loremaster" and a player for 6 years, this is one of the most frustrating things about Cataclysm. Choice would make this feel like an MMORPG again. At the very least, if you could add new non-phased quests, non-phased group quests, and maybe even level 85 quests in "old" areas, that would be really cool. For example, give me a reason at 85 to go back to Eastern Plaguelands, or show me how the events in Hyjal are affecting Winterspring, etc. I'd love to see more heroic versions of old instances to give us more choices. I'll be honest, I also miss the epic "spanning the contintents" quests especially now that we can fly.
90 Draenei Shaman
One concern I have with the phasing and quests is being able to help other people. If I try to go back to a zone to help a friend with a quest, and he is in a different phase, we can't work together.
85 Human Paladin
02/03/2011 1:42 PMPosted by Katheelly
I enjoyed the Cataclysm quests my first time through, but going through on alts they have become extrememley annoying. You have to do every zone to unlock the reps, the quests always have to be done in the same order, and you spend most of your time running back and forth to the questgivers after doing 1-2 quests at once. I miss the days of BC when I could literally pick up a full log of 25 quests at a time, do them in whatever order made the most sense in terms of geography, turn them in, and get half a level, then repeat.

This is exactly how I always quested.
85 Undead Priest
Just like many people here, I like the new cata questing style. Good job on getting at least 1 thing down Blizzard :)
85 Worgen Druid
02/03/2011 1:40 PMPosted by Elegies
I liked uldum cut scenes, it's cutscene in throne of tides that needs to go. sure you can skip but it's still an interuption to dungeon flow.

Imagine your first time in ToT. Now imagine killing the second boss. Without the cut scene, do you know where to go next? Unlikely.

It should be removed in heroic, for sure. But it's easy enough to get out of.
90 Blood Elf Mage
Cataclysm questing has improved the overall feel of classic zones. The storylines feel more cohesive than they did before. There really hasn't been any quests (in previous versions of WoW) you could actually decline because you didn't agree with it/or, you just never finished the zone. Most zones felt very static before, this method changed them.

I can agree that I'd like to see more phasing which take choices, and takes them into consideration with dialogue/quest text/reactions. Right/Wrong, etc.

With old republic coming along.. character choices are going to impact the degree of immersion a player feels. Not simply doing a quest they've done a quest they've done before (especially when re-rolling an alt)

It's the reason it was always fun to replay KoTOR, your character could evolve through the story in many different ways and see something different, even though the eventual conclusion could only go 1 of a couple ways.
90 Draenei Priest
Perhaps in future expansions/updates/content/etc. you could consider making the zones smaller, and have more of them. One of the things I loved about the Wrath Leveling experience is I had a lot of choice as I leveled. Starting with Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord. Completed one, I could go do the other or hit Dragonblight. After that I usually picked Grizzly Hills (loved that zone) but I usually had leveled enough where I could do Zul'Drak or Sholozar Basin. After that it was Storm Peaks or Ice Crown.

But Cataclysm has really reduced my options. With only 2 starting zone, a single 'in between' zone and 2 ending zones , I'm dreading leveling my other 11-12 characters. I know I don't have to pick the same zones each time, but Mt. Hyjal vs. Vashj'ir, Mt. Hyjal wins hands down. No choice with Stone Core, but I do look forward to Uldum -- I don't think I'll ever get bored of that place. I suppose I could level with the dungeon finder, but that's another Gnomish/Goblin-Engineered-Box-of-Fun I'd rather not open thank you ;-)
79 Troll Mage
Even though it gets a lot of Hate, I actually enjoy the way Outland works and the moment but I am disapointed at the nerf to the Nagrand quests.

Every time I go to OL I pick up all the quests in Thrallmart then head over to all the other quests and pick them up to my quest log is full. Go do all 25 quests then hand them in.

This is what I want to see more of: http://i56.tinypic.com/xgehkx.jpg (before I race changed lol)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]