Cataclysm Questing is So Linear

(Locked)

1 Draenei Priest
02/03/2011 2:47 PMPosted by Nzete
have an herbalist who is part of the way through Deepholm in a very short phase (maybe 2-3 quests long) where there are lots of heartblossom nodes.

this is the problem with phasing ... all types of herbs should spawn in all the different phases . Not 1 type in a 1 certian phase or that one partiicular herb node be available to all phases.
85 Draenei Hunter
Reason I dont like it is this. I cant skip ANYTHING on alts.

In wrath I always did the wrathgate chain on my alts. as well as some of the wyrmrest quests. but i would skip most everything elses, because i didnt like it.

In Cata, including all the new old world, i do not get the option to jump ahead. I must start from the beginning. Even if the middle is the only part I like.
MVP
86 Night Elf Priest
Personally, what I miss (that was mostly around in vanilla) are the random side-quests. For example, there was a guy in the southwest end of Westfall who had no quests for you when you were of a level to be in that area. However, if you happened across him later, he sent you off with some really vague riddles that got you to find things in places like Stranglethorn Vale that otherwise seemed pretty random.

The main quest lines were reasonably linear (without the phasing), in the sense that a human started in Northshire, got sent to Elwynn/Goldshire, sent to guards at a couple of locations as well as to SW by different quests, got sent to Sentinel Hill when ready, got sent to Redridge and Duskwood by quests.

It wasn't until the late 30s / early 40s that it felt like quests bounced around too much. The Hakkar quest line comes to mind. It took the player to at least 5 zones that I remember (Feralas, Tanaris, Swamp of Sorrows, Hinterlands, Eastern Plaguelands) as well as the dungeon (Sunken Temple), and gave a lot of lore in the process. But it didn't ~have~ to be done. If someone skipped it entirely, as long as one player had the egg or the scroll, the boss in the dungeon could be killed.
90 Tauren Shaman
I do not like the linear nature of the quests for several reasons. I can't level with my kids unless we do every quest together. If one of us plays on our own we can no longer level together.

I also found that I sometimes lost the chain and could not find where to pick it up, this locks me completely out of a zone.
11 Orc Hunter
02/03/2011 2:26 PMPosted by Llowe
People with out the courage to challenge real progress, post on forums ITT.

If you find MMO gaming a courageous activity, I hope paramedics are standing by when someone introduces you to Chinese Checkers or CandyLand.
84 Dwarf Hunter
Personally, what I miss (that was mostly around in vanilla) are the random side-quests. For example, there was a guy in the southwest end of Westfall who had no quests for you when you were of a level to be in that area. However, if you happened across him later, he sent you off with some really vague riddles that got you to find things in places like Stranglethorn Vale that otherwise seemed pretty random.

The main quest lines were reasonably linear (without the phasing), in the sense that a human started in Northshire, got sent to Elwynn/Goldshire, sent to guards at a couple of locations as well as to SW by different quests, got sent to Sentinel Hill when ready, got sent to Redridge and Duskwood by quests.

Those quests that aren't totally related to the main quest line still exist but they still have dependencies on other quests for some reasons. Without adding or modifying new content a lot I think that this could be easily brought back. Removing some of the dependencies would also remove most if not all the gripes I have with the new quests.

For example, why can't I go to Uldum with this character? I farmed herbs there for hours and the mobs are not too hard for me. Is it even possible to acquire a red quest now? I think that the first needed change is to make the board in town give the quests for all the zones in your level range but hint or suggest you do the "yellow" ones.

That's for the access to a whole zone but I think that many quest hubs and side quests unrelated to the main story could be accessible with no prerequisite. There would be only advantages to that. The players that really love the long quest chain story could still experience it and even skip the side quests if they wish. The players that prefer a more chaotic way of questing could also do it their way.

Just little changes that would offer us more choices and that can't be a bad thing.
Even after having leveled so many characters 1-60 it was still a pain to quest in zones I already did before.

Everything was so scattered, I like it better this way personally.
85 Goblin Mage
One of the reasons World of Warcraft got a reputation of mot being a "grindy" game at the start was because after you rolled your level 1 toon, you could go quest in multiple areas. From 1 to 60, if you didn't like a zone, there was another. If you didn't like a quest chain, there was an option. You could pick up and drop off as you chose to. There were tons of grinds for things along the way, but you built your own story. From 60 - 80, you retained the ability to choose your own story for your toon. If you had multiple toons, no big deal. The verity of story lines to follow was immense.

The developers decided to do away with the choose your own adventure, and installed go here and do this or you don't level. We will give you the story, and if you don't like it then just suffer through and maybe you will like the next part. It was like reading a book. The attraction for some here is the story. I believe for most, it is the ability to build your own story that drew them here.

It is sad that they decided we couldn't decide for ourselves what is fun and what we wanted to skip.

I can only blame this on the popularity of the Death Knight. I think the developers may have misunderstood the popularity of starting at 55 with being forced down a machine. People do not call it the great dk story, or the great adventures of a death knight. They call it the dk machine for a reason. The DK story line, and now the Cata story line are a huge step backwards in what the game used to offer.

Blizzard took me out of the decision process of how my character would level.
Edited by Talthoss on 2/3/2011 4:42 PM PST
100 Human Paladin
...We also hear your concerns about cut-scenes, tradeskill nodes, and the effects phasing has on groups.

Lylirra, I am rarely one to post on the forums, let alone directly ask for a Blue responce, but despite browsing through many a thread about phased tradeskill nodes, all I have seen reguarding them from any Blue is 'We're aware of this issue' but nothing further... well unless I've looked in the wrong places. Is there truely a further update on this that I've missed, or are miners & herbalists doomed to seeing phantom nodes beyond the upcoming patch?
73 Night Elf Death Knight
Linear quests allow the a story to flow. I for one enjoy a progressing story along a zone as opposed to the old model of:

1. Go to town
2. Kill x mobs, find y items, get z drops
3. Kill some named guy that has been giving the town trouble
4. Go on to next town

Non linear questing basically means there is no true story. Just you going from village to village doing random chores for people. It's a lot more fun to be a hero in an epic tale as opposed to an errand boy or glorified mercenary right?

Plenty of quests in classic, BC, and Wrath had strong story elements to them. I think the major problem with some of the discussion, is that there's a misconception that linear is the only way to provide story.

Quest chains generally lead to storytelling and immersion.

Quest hubs have the capacity to have your generic "mercenary" quests, along WITH chains that tell story.

Cataclysm took the quest chain and story aspects of the game, and (in my opinion) went too far with it. They put us on a track, and told us not to get out of the car while it's moving, and gave us a tour of Azeroth. Blizzard does an excellent job of refining their games, making adjustments and trying out new approaches. I think the extremely linear approach we have with Cataclysm is an example of a new approach. I hope (and tend to believe) that they'll continue to refine how they approach all of the game's elements.
85 Goblin Shaman
I like the linear style of questing, but it does have drawbacks. For example if you are leveling an alt and just need a particular item from a quest, like a trinket.
85 Human Death Knight
I'd have to say the example to live up to here is Eastern Plaguelands. Sure, it's linear, and it tells a story. In fact, you're just the train track away from being literally railroaded. But at the same time, each tower and Light's Hope give you quests you can finish in any order, or not, and still complete the central story. On top of that, there are several stories floating around. Of course there's Fiona's Caravan, but you also get the completely isolated hub where the Scarlet Crusade is eliminated at Tyr's Hand, two locations where you pulverize the Scourge holdouts, the High Elves in the north, and the (sadly) shortened Darrowshire chain. The biggest point here is that while you certainly have a central story that you can focus on to the exclusion of all else, you can also quest at your own pace throughout the rest of the region.

Not bad for a railroad quest, eh?
82 Worgen Druid
I'm enjoying the questing alot and the story-driven feel, but yeah I agree it's -too-linear. I feel like I'm enjoying an interactive theme park rather then playing a role-playing game. There are no real choices.
85 Troll Shaman
I love the new Cataclysm questing, it definitely appealed to my lore-curious nature and was challenging without being impossible. Many of the redone quests are like this as well, my full Bind-On-Account (no helmet, come on level 20!) geared characters can die while questing! That doesn't usually happen between levels 15-58 anymore and I love it; in previous expansions I hated questing and everything involved with it. Now, I see myself as having multiple level-capped characters because I feel the quests are engaging.
85 Blood Elf Mage
The phasing over all destroys the ability to group with friends who aren't on the exact same quest as you are.

The new starting area's are HORRIBLE in that you can't leave, even with a RAF account. I wanted to play a goblin, my wife wanted to play a blood elf.... we had to wait for 12 levels before we could even see each other. How horrible is that, to be stuck on content you dno't want to do with no option. I for one will NEVER roll a DK/wargen/Goblin again until that in-ability is removed.

Phasing sucks, it wrecks the game. It adds gimickry and interesting progression, but at such a high cost.

Truly hope they scrap it in any future expansions.
02/03/2011 4:38 PMPosted by Enjinn
I like the linear style of questing, but it does have drawbacks. For example if you are leveling an alt and just need a particular item from a quest, like a trinket.

If you want shoulder enchants you have to do a whole zone just to unlock the rep.

Another thing that is absent under the current design are quests to go back and do later. In past expansion the only people who got the lore master for that area were the people who went back after the fact and finished everything they skipped. It was something to pass the time once you were done. Now you are pretty much done with everything except one entry zone and maybe twilight highlands.

And please fix the nodes issue. It really does feel like your being punished for questing. If nothing else make them exist in the end phases of a zone rather then the beginning to slow the bots.
85 Blood Elf Mage
oops double post, sry
Edited by Aberdokki on 2/3/2011 5:32 PM PST
85 Human Paladin
I like it because I don't just skip around. I actually enjoyed the worgen starting zone more than the goblin. For me it did feel like I was actually doing something. Like when you kill the baron in stratholme and run out to find the argent dawn taking over the city. Not missing quests also means more money and you get the achievements. I spent some time looking for the dumb quest I was missing in Nagrand for the achievement.
50 Worgen Rogue
I love how questing is in this expansion. :/
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]