Cataclysm Questing is So Linear

(Locked)

1 Night Elf Priest
02/03/2011 1:18 PMPosted by Lylirra
For Cataclysm, we wanted to create more immersion with better storytelling, and we wanted your characters to feel connected to ebb and flow of Azeroth. This was something we hoped to accomplish through a number of mediums including quests.

Overall, we think we were successful in achieving those goals and making the leveling experience more story-driven, but we realize we may not have hit the nail perfectly on the head. For example, we've received a lot of feedback that suggests we made questing a bit too linear this expansion, and we're not in total disagreement. It's cool that your character has a visual impact on the world and can watch as key events unfold, sure, but sometimes it can feel a bit awkward when you're unable to explore content at your own pace because you're still locked to a particular phase. We also hear your concerns about cut-scenes, tradeskill nodes, and the effects phasing has on groups.

We're taking all these criticisms in stride and will be using them to improve the questing experience for future expansions and, to an extent, future patches. When it comes to questing, it's matter of finding a good balance between story and gameplay, and that tightrope can be a hard one to walk. Your feedback keeps us from swaying too far in any one direction, though, so we greatly appreciate threads like this one. Keep it up.

/high five
/respek knuckles

I personally love the new questing system. I have never been a fan of quests in the past. I have mainly leveled through PVP and Dungeons.

Now, however, I love the quests! I love having an actual story that I feel I am making a difference in.

While I don't agree with many of the changes made in CATA - mainly nerfing healers - but I love the quest changes!

I actually wish I could roll my druid back - he's lvl 45 now - to like lvl 20 or something to redo the earlier quests. I would reroll, but I already have 53 noncombat pets on him. :D
100 Undead Rogue

/respek knuckles

Sealab 2021 ftw
100 Gnome Mage
For Cataclysm, we wanted to create more immersion with better storytelling, and we wanted your characters to feel connected to ebb and flow of Azeroth. This was something we hoped to accomplish through a number of mediums including quests.

Overall, we think we were successful in achieving those goals and making the leveling experience more story-driven, but we realize we may not have hit the nail perfectly on the head. For example, we've received a lot of feedback that suggests we made questing a bit too linear this expansion, and we're not in total disagreement. It's cool that your character has a visual impact on the world and can watch as key events unfold, sure, but sometimes it can feel a bit awkward when you're unable to explore content at your own pace because you're still locked to a particular phase. We also hear your concerns about cut-scenes, tradeskill nodes, and the effects phasing has on groups.

We're taking all these criticisms in stride and will be using them to improve the questing experience for future expansions and, to an extent, future patches. When it comes to questing, it's matter of finding a good balance between story and gameplay, and that tightrope can be a hard one to walk. Your feedback keeps us from swaying too far in any one direction, though, so we greatly appreciate threads like this one. Keep it up.

/high five
/respek knuckles

Thankyou for coming to a similar conclsion as I am and being honest about it.

The oddity of feeling disconneted due to the questing being too tightly scripted. And from an RP standpoint...would my character behave like that with quest dialogs already pre-arranged? I feel a balance between the old and new ways of questing would be a better balance. Something similar to how you had both Dreanei and B'elf starting zones done...those where the best, IMO.

Here's a hint though...quest drops and easter eggs. They go a long way in making questing a little more interesting.
1 Human Warlock
I loved 80-85 on the first toon I leveled. After that, it became a chore, since you have absolutely no choice on what areas to do - if you need the rep, you have to do a certain zone at least until Friendly, but usually until you're out of quests, just to minimize the dungeon grind.

Also, you can't pick and choose what quests you want to do in an area because many quest lines have prerequisites. The re-playability value is rather low, I'm afraid, while BC and Wrath offered multiple avenues for leveling alts. I may have always done Terokkar because I love the area, but I took some toons to SMV and others to Netherstorm, for example; or I did Storm Peaks on one toon, Icecrown on another, etc.

I also feel that the choice of leveling via dungeons has been taken away from us. Obviously, you can do it, but you'll have 0 reps at 85, which means you won't have a head/shoulder arcanum and will be missing out on several 346/359 pieces. I wish that at least head/shoulder enchants were truly BoA as in Wrath, minus rep requirements.
85 Dwarf Shaman
I love the quest lines. Honestly it was great to be part of a story. It adds a little something to the quest experience. Questing can be a little boring so that little extra, wonder what happens next is good.

The problem i have is the ALt factor. Ive all ready pulled 2 more to 85 through questing/gathering/archeology and I dont care about the story no more!!

I dont want to repeat quest i thought we boring and pointless the first time just so i can move to the next hub. Or if i did stay the course and finish out the whole story line in one area, i still am stuck at the very start of the next area doing the same quest i did on my last charactter because you cant just into the quest half way though an area.

arggh!!! alt rage!!
02/03/2011 5:39 PMPosted by Caelwyn
linear questing is better. fact.

You misspelled opinion.
85 Goblin Rogue
Cata questing was the greatest experience Ive had in a game such as this. It was epic and many times I found myself spouting off in guild chat about it. Saying stuff like Oh Wow you should see this or OMG I cant beleive this is so cool.

It is after the questing is over that the expansion fell on it face for me, but I cannot join in any sort of bashing against what they managed to do with the Cata Quest line. Superb.
34 Draenei Priest
02/03/2011 1:34 PMPosted by Jynks
We also hear your concerns about cut-scenes, tradeskill nodes, and phasing in general.

Hopefully this includes concerns over endgame recipes being phased !!
I felt the opposite. I thought the quests were linear but that really added to the immersion. Before I would do one quest and then go on to another quest in a completely different storyline. Every time I switched to do another quest, I was broken off from the story and never bothered to read quest text for any of the related quests. Now, I feel like I am actually a part of the story's flow. Each quest you do is linked to the same story and, once that story is over, you move on to the next one. For instance, in Uldum I was doing quests for the *insert name of cat things here* and helping them defeat the enemy forces. Then, once the final battle was over, I went to find Harrison Jones and fought the mock %#!*s with him. It was very cool and was one of my favorite, if not my favorite, experience in WoW.
84 Blood Elf Warlock
If you want choices but immersion, what you need is an RPG where your actions matter. This WILL NEVER HAPPEN in an MMO. That's right, it will never happen. Because if you choose differently than one of your friends did, your story conflicts with that of your friend's. You'd effectively be running your own instance.

If you want choices, play a non-MMO. Or even better, play a pen-and-paper game, where it's only humans involved. Then, you have freedom and creativity. But not until then.
48 Orc Shaman
In addition to the pacing and route inflexibility, I'd like to reiterate the negative effect it has on attempts to quest with others. Unless you happen to be precisely in synch with someone throughout the entirety of your progress through a zone, it's impossible for you to do anything together.

The whole point of a multiplayer online game is sharing a persistent world with others. Phasing goes against the very fundament of that, by separating us into our own little microcosms.

... From 1 to 60, if you didn't like a zone, there was another. If you didn't like a quest chain, there was an option. You could pick up and drop off as you chose to. There were tons of grinds for things along the way, but you built your own story. From 60 - 80, you retained the ability to choose your own story for your toon. If you had multiple toons, no big deal. The verity of story lines to follow was immense.

The developers decided to do away with the choose your own adventure, and installed go here and do this or you don't level. We will give you the story, and if you don't like it then just suffer through and maybe you will like the next part. It was like reading a book. The attraction for some here is the story. I believe for most, it is the ability to build your own story that drew them here.

It is sad that they decided we couldn't decide for ourselves what is fun and what we wanted to skip ... the Cata story line is a huge step backwards in what the game used to offer.

Blizzard took me out of the decision process.

Quoted for truths.
90 Night Elf Druid
Questing in Cata is a 10/10 for me.

Only improvements I'd add would be to actually allow skipping of all cutscenes, not just a dialogue box that doesn't allow you to click yes, and for the game not to crash when you skip too many cutscenes in succession like it does in Uldum.

Heck those are more like bug fixes than improvements! That's how good it is.
100 Undead Warlock
Maybe it's just the way I quest, I'm kinda OCD about finishing quests before moving on, but I never had that issue. I didn't even realize you could get denied finishing a quest due to phasing. This is coming from someone who has done all the cata quests horde side, and done quite a bit of old world questing horde and alliance side.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Overall, we think we were successful in achieving those goals and making the leveling experience more story-driven, but we realize we may not have hit the nail perfectly on the head. For example, we've received a lot of feedback that suggests we made questing a bit too linear this expansion, and we're not in total disagreement. It's cool that your character has a visual impact on the world and can watch as key events unfold, sure, but sometimes it can feel a bit awkward when you're unable to explore content at your own pace because you're still locked to a particular phase.

Not to be a negative nancy, but I disagree. The impact in hyjal is the only thing that really sticks out in my mind. In other areas though, it was questing as normal. Giant tentacles are still attacking twilight highlands, and the highlands camp is still full of the enemies I supposedly dispatched of. In uldum, the tol'vir are still in eternal battles with their enemies and some tol'vir are eternally waiting to be rescued from under the sand. Did no one tell the Schnottz troops that their mission failed or is there still something to guard at the Obelisk of the Moon? The world pillar still appears broken, the horde sailors are still drowning, etc...

The "world" feels like an amusement park and we just aren't supposed to look behind the curtain. The play-actor npc charactes faux battle eternal for our amusement and to keep up the charade. I only hope that they get to take breaks when no players are around.

If you are going to implement phasing, and cause all these head aches with it, at least use it successfully. Despite phasing it's still obvious that my character is still on a ride, killing the same boss as the player before me, with one lined up after me also, and in a lot of cases I'm not sure the story is even interesting enough to drive anything anywhere.
Edited by Wasselin on 2/3/2011 7:22 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Paladin
01/20/2011 1:14 PMPosted by Overture
You didn't feel immersed when the @!*# Goblin made you his right hand man, only to wrongly accuse you of a crime, and then you were saved by Harrison right before being killed?

I was too distracted by the bad jokes and waiting for mobs to respawn for my turn to kill them to feel immersed.
85 Orc Death Knight
02/03/2011 1:25 PMPosted by Uraeus
Application of phasing was bad.

Close, but not quite

The way phasing was applied was bad.

That's better.
1 Undead Warrior
I disagree.

Phasing has taken the game to a whole new level. Leveling during BC I could care less about the reason I had to go get 5 logs or something stupid. Because nothing ever changed, I'd complete the quest and the crumby building behind the quest giver is still crumby.

Not to mention how boring the quest hubs were...

But now there's like a progression, I gather the logs and the buildings fixed up. It's honestly really cool. I didn't even have to read the quests to understand the story line and my part in it.

Props for Blizzard imo, great work

Edit:

Only suggestion would be to let me skip cutscenes and still get credit. It's not that I don't like them, but when leveling an alt, I've already seen them.
Edited by Aleigan on 2/3/2011 7:28 PM PST
100 Draenei Paladin
Like others have said, my problem was the phasing.

I'm a wownerd, so I blasted through the content pretty quickly.

My wife is super casual, and putzed around. She also kinda sucks, so she needs help a lot.

When she got to a point where she needed help with a quest, I couldn't go help her because of different phasing. It was very frustrating for both of us.
48 Orc Shaman
02/03/2011 7:26 PMPosted by Aleigan
I disagree.

Phasing has taken the game to a whole new level. Leveling during BC I could care less about the reason I had to go get 5 logs or something stupid. Because nothing ever changed, I'd complete the quest and the crumby building behind the quest giver is still crumby.

Each to their own I guess, but I cared EVEN LESS because;

I was micro-managed ALL the way.

I want to do it my way damnit. With friends as well.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]