Ghostcrawlers article on dungeons

85 Draenei Shaman
Mr Street has always had a big ego and his posts often show it. For the most part he has had a good idea as to what the players would find fun. With cata tho I think he may have missed the mark at least for me he did.......Cata is ok but feels like just another MMO. To be honest I really don't know what its missing but it just doesn't feel like a wow expansion.

If others are beginning to feel like I do then Mr Street may want to have his PR team do the talking for him. Just don't feel like getting talked down too by the lead devo over a so so game

87 Worgen Druid
Ex-disc priest here. I Just wanna say that wotlk heroics were a lot of fun for me, for the same reason certain console games are successful... people like to feel that they are op.

I dont do cata heroic dungeons for several reasons, I dont want to spend 2-3hours to complete one.

I dont like that Blizz gave us so very few at the launch of a new xpac. Why would I think its fun to spend 2-3 hours per instance, and only have a handful to do? Seriously.

Half the level increase of their other xpacs, half the dungeons, same full price. Y'all are starting to look a lot like SoE. Whats next? An in-game RMT store?
Edited by Wildfang on 1/20/2011 7:06 PM PST
85 Human Priest
Zarhym, as a community manager you surely understand the way you'd communicate to your customers. I am not the best player in the world, if you look at my achievements I have completed all of the heroics as a healer and tank. I don't have problem with difficulty or design.

What I do have problem with is tone. For example:

We also just tend to nerf content over time because the original players hitting that content have moved on, so we want to open it up to a wider audience.

This line was completely unnecessary. Also this leaves really bad taste in my mouth, is this what players like myself are looked as? Second rate customers? I am sure he didn't mean that when he wrote that sentence, but thats what that sentence conveys. And quite frankly, I don't like lead designer thinking this way.

Also:
Don't be stingy and decide you aren’t going to mess with gemming, enchanting, or reforging until you have epic gear. Note that you don’t have to always apply the most expensive enchants or gems. Gear matters a lot. It increases DPS, survivability, and mana sustainability. Healers who get, say, 1750-1800 Spirit notice that they can go a lot longer without gassing out. Go ahead and get enchants or gems or reforge to get a lot of Spirit. Some DPS specs who don’t reforge hit at those gear levels would struggle a lot as well. The new Cataclysm flasks are fairly expensive, but the Lich King ones aren’t, and there are elixirs and food consumables you can use as well. Archaeologists can even unlock small bonuses in the new dungeons.

Do you know how some people will interpret this paragraph as? Gems/enchants/food buffs are required to heroics. If you see someone in unenchanted or ungemmed gear.. /vote kick.

I have personally done the content with ungemmed/unenchanted gear. It's very doable, and that paragraph was totally unnecessary because now it's going to be misinterpreted so much and I already see people being booted for not enchanting their green gear. I mean really?

His words come out as completely different from what he intended to convey and I don't like that. He should probably have community managers do the work of communication unless he is directly responding to playerbase on forums.
Edited by Killada on 1/20/2011 7:08 PM PST
86 Undead Priest
Edited by Zarhym on 1/21/11 2:51 AM (UTC) I know you're probably frustrated by any number of issues Ghostcrawler tackled in his blog. We completely get that, which was the entire point of his post. We're not telling players it's our way or the highway. We're not burying our heads in the sand and letting you figure it out.

I'm encouraged that you get it. Now please just figure out a way to fix it. You guys at Bliz are way to smart not to figure somewhat out to keep both sides happy. I'm confident you'll get it, but hurry up so I can play again. I continue to monitor the PTR notes for something that suggests help is on the way. I'll gladly reinstate my account as soon as I see something. RIFT on March 1st - next gen MMORPG. Times ticking!!!!
100 Blood Elf Rogue
01/20/2011 6:51 PMPosted by Migina
There's only a handful of items, and only 3 classes get 333 crafted weapons, for example. Meanwhile, PvPers get a full suit of 359s.

PvPers don't get weapons unless they do rated stuff.
100 Dwarf Shaman
Heroics aren't hard, and once you are geared in 346s you barely need to CC anymore. Sure, we had to when we were still rocking half greens from twilight highlands, but I don't think any of them were pre-nerf shattered halls or blood furnace difficult. The problem is that people have already thrown up their hands in defeat before even making an attempt to get better.
85 Orc Hunter
There was nothing with his tone whatsoever... Anyone who cried because of it likely is having an awful time dealing with dungeons and was hoping for a nerf announcement.
100 Dwarf Warrior
01/20/2011 7:06 PMPosted by Killada
Zarhym, as a community manager you surely understand the way you'd communicate to your customers. I am not the best player in the world, if you look at my achievements I have completed all of the heroics as a healer and tank. I don't have problem with difficulty or design.

What I do have problem with is tone. For example:

We also just tend to nerf content over time because the original players hitting that content have moved on, so we want to open it up to a wider audience.

This line was completely unnecessary. Also this leaves really bad taste in my mouth, is this what players like myself are looked as? Second rate customers? I am sure he didn't mean that when he wrote that sentence, but thats what that sentence conveys. And quite frankly, I don't like lead designer thinking this way.

Also:
Don't be stingy and decide you aren’t going to mess with gemming, enchanting, or reforging until you have epic gear. Note that you don’t have to always apply the most expensive enchants or gems. Gear matters a lot. It increases DPS, survivability, and mana sustainability. Healers who get, say, 1750-1800 Spirit notice that they can go a lot longer without gassing out. Go ahead and get enchants or gems or reforge to get a lot of Spirit. Some DPS specs who don’t reforge hit at those gear levels would struggle a lot as well. The new Cataclysm flasks are fairly expensive, but the Lich King ones aren’t, and there are elixirs and food consumables you can use as well. Archaeologists can even unlock small bonuses in the new dungeons.

Do you know how some people will interpret this paragraph as? Gems/enchants/food buffs are required to heroics. If you see someone in unenchanted or ungemmed gear.. /vote kick.

I have personally done the content with ungemmed/unenchanted gear. It's very doable, and that paragraph was totally unnecessary because now it's going to be misinterpreted so much and I already see people being booted for not enchanting their green gear. I mean really?

His words come out as completely different from what he intended to convey and I don't like that. He should probably have community managers do the work of communication unless he is directly responding to playerbase on forums.

I really dont get the same meaning you do from those quotes. The first was just saying that they lower the difficulty over time to help people who dont play a ton. He didnt use any demeaning terms or anything to describe them, he just was trying to say that over time things will get easier for all the people complaining they are too hard. The 2nd quote was again in direct response to all the people complaining they cant do enough to handle heroics. He was just saying that you can get cheap gems/enchants and it will help you a lot in the dungeons. He didnt say you must get these or you fail, he just recommended it as an option if you are struggling. Also I will admit it does bug me a lot when I see people with no gems in their gear... you can get green gems for ~15g now, which is like one daily, so there is no excuse imo to not at least put that much effort in. It doesnt mean I'm going to kick anyone without gems, but it does show they have little desire to make themselves better and would rather just sit back and complain that "its too hard!".
85 Draenei Warrior
GC is alright, but he's no Tigole
85 Dwarf Paladin
Making normals more rewarding would go a long way (this coming from someone who is a bit more hardcore and is actually not having any big problems with heroics). Something along the lines of every normal once you're 85 gives something like 35 or so justice points per boss kill. That's personally why I bought offspec items with higher ilvl to get into heroics: ilvl333 tank gear wasn't dropping, and 70 points a day isn't any sort of help.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]