Support for new Casual (non-raiding) GMs

85 Gnome Warlock
I am starting this thread for any new GMs out there who are having a hard time getting their guild off the ground. Maybe if we pool ideas we can help with recruiting and keep people once they've joined.

So for me I had to change a few things, rather than the generic, come join my small guild. I changed it to Why wait till 85 to raid ( i want to focus on twinking , BC, and Wotlk raids and then Cata)

I'm pretty ok with cash so I've offered repairs.

I try and be on as much as possible till things get off the ground

I am thinking of doing a contest of take a screen shot with a guildie or guild group in front of the last boss in an instance. Extra points if you complete a instance achievement. possible maybe how many you can do over the course of a weekend.

Thought?

Essentially making sure we are an active guild and they don't feel like xp batteries.

Gnomie, the frustrated GM
Edited by Gnomeobie on 1/30/2011 7:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Gnomeobie,

Hmm...interesting idea! I've long thought about leveling toons in my guild and capping them at 60, 70, and then 80 (which would be 85 now) so that we could help leveling players be level appropriate for the vanilla and BC raids. Never followed through on that though.

Hope it works for you!

Amgrod
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
We don't currently raid in this guild, but the conveniences I provide for the members (they just recruit their friends and stuff, no active trade/forum recruitment) are the following:

1) 10g repairs for all (50g for tanks and heals - these people are encouraged to invite guildies to do heroics/dungeons when they have free time)
2) 2 tabs full of glyphs, restocked each week (withdrawal limited by rank, roughly max 3 glyphs per stack to avoid too much loss from ninjas). People whom I've caught selling glyphs from the bank to the AH were mailed and they kindly returned the glyphs and/or deposited the gold made into the bank afterwards.
3) Free bags (limited stock, only when netherweave is cheap or people donate cloth)

The guild was pretty much down to 2-3 people at the end of Wrath (after ICC and all) and people got back slowly at the start of Catac. I made it clear that all I could do was add nice things for them, but I can't go hardcore raid leader or ultra-recruit guildmaster or anything like that. Once they start raiding (if they get it together) I'll go get them a vent server to use (had one before but closed it off when people went inactive).

For me, if you keep your tanks and healers happy and they invite others for dungeon runs, then that should be an okay start. I'm planning to add a tank/healer supply tab (pots, food, etc) as well. The DPS can't complain about this treatment because they have tanks and healers available to run with them due to this and I can't afford to pay for everything.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
We're not exactly new non-raiding GMs (our guild has been around since January 2007) but the issues never completely go away. Guild leadership is not a static thing.

In BC we had folks leaving to go to raiding guilds. Raids were pugged easily in Wrath, and we managed that whole epansion without a mass exodus at any point that I remember. I imagine Cata will see another bleed once people are geared up and decide they want to go raid (guild perks and rep or not) and the trickle of players that have left up to this point all go to PvP, since oddly enough we can't seem to get a rated BG team together despite so much interest in one.

We try to keep planned events on the calendar. Monday nights are Classic Dungeon Night and Thurs. are Fishing for Feasts night. A few regularly scheduled events of the course of a couple months will give folks something to look forward to, and a bit of a pleasant routine.

Retro raids, achievement nights, and silly guild events are all fun stuff too. We've sponsored an "Epic Run" where members rolled a lvl 1 undead and ran a footrace from Deathnell to Tanaris (before Thousand Needles was flooded) and the prize was the epic flight money- 5000g at the time. ( disavowed.myguildhost.com/index.php?comp=forums&cat=6&thread=6 )
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
In all honesty, I gave up while ago. No matter how much time was spent with guildies, how much help they got, they always left. I found that I could "fix" a player, but they would always leave for a better guild, "thankful" that we were the ones who got them started and on their feet. AKA, we carried people, and they left before we could gear up other members for raiding. So our progression always hindered, leaving my loyal members frustrated, and eventually they left. How do I get people to just stay? With the knowledge I have of the game and different classes, I can help people get where they need to be. Like the others, we too had fun days, in which we just goofed around, but slowly, less and less people started coming. I'm tired of my guild being used to better players that just leave. Any advice?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
01/31/2011 6:08 AMPosted by Christiná
In all honesty, I gave up while ago. No matter how much time was spent with guildies, how much help they got, they always left. I found that I could "fix" a player, but they would always leave for a better guild, "thankful" that we were the ones who got them started and on their feet. AKA, we carried people, and they left before we could gear up other members for raiding. So our progression always hindered, leaving my loyal members frustrated, and eventually they left. How do I get people to just stay? With the knowledge I have of the game and different classes, I can help people get where they need to be. Like the others, we too had fun days, in which we just goofed around, but slowly, less and less people started coming. I'm tired of my guild being used to better players that just leave. Any advice?

Sadly, making them wait while you gear other people up doesn't help. Even if they won't say it, they want things happening right away. I can't say it would work, but if you have even just a core team ready of some tanks and healers then you might want to start getting the rest pugged. This way your guys will get to raid even if the whole guild isn't ready yet.

You can work in the other members later once they are geared up. The cycle of "wait while we gear up more people" just doesn't work, based on experience. You'll probably want/need opinions from other before you decide on what to do, but that's my take on it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]