Not enough RAM?

90 Undead Warlock
I just read that the system requirements for cataclysm and noticed 2 GB of RAM are needed. Im currently running on 1 GB and have noticed I always have some sort of lag when getting in groups using the dungeon, or Bg finder tool. does having not enough RAM effect latency?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
While having below the system requirements doesn't help your game play much I don't think it effects network latency.

Of course it's possible that some of that 1GB of ram is being taken up by something else using a lot of the CPU on your system.

Upgrade the Ram is always a good upgrade.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Blu is correct on this one. It shouldn't cause network issues, unless the lag you are referring too is FPS, frames per sec.

You might be getting this lag more in instance (like FPS lag) due top the 1 GB. See, when instances and groups can cause more issues due to being in the group and having our computer being flooded with buffs, add-on related spam that you don't see, visual effects, and etc. When your Mac runs out of memory, it has no where to go. This is specially true if you are using an integrated card, due to the it using your RAM as well.
Did you hear about the troll druid at the comedy club? Apparently it was an older crowd and he got moo'd off stage...
/Rim crash
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
The lag referred to is virtual memory kicking in. WoW takes up a full 1 GB of RAM upon login to the game, ramping up to 1.8 GB in heavily populated areas. With only 1 GB system RAM, you'lre using about 2-2.5 GB of physical VM from the HD. Bluespacecow is correct about upgrading your RAM. You need a minimum of 4 GB system RAM to play WoW without constantly hitting the VM lag/stutter problem.
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
whats the best computer for wow please answer my question ive been trying to play this game for the last 2 years but im stuck with this computer someone help!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
02/22/2012 05:25 PMPosted by Gortdort
whats the best computer for wow please answer my question ive been trying to play this game for the last 2 years but im stuck with this computer someone help!!!!!!!!!

Okay, two things:

1. Don't necro a year old thread with a completely unrelated post.
2. There's a Performance Guide sticky right at the top. It should give you a good idea.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
!'m about to download WoW on my desktop, I've deleted everything I don't use anymore, it still says not enough space. Should I download It anyways?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]