Tabard Spam...

(Locked)

68 Draenei Shaman
Agree :)
85 Tauren Druid
Here's your solution, please consider it:
Make tabards for decoration purposes only again and change to a reputation attunement system where once you're able to gain a rep tabard now (honored), instead you complete a rep quest for that faction which will teach you a new ability. This ability will go into the spellbook under a new tab for factions which will allow you to cast a buff on yourself to represent one faction at a time. This faction page will also display the progress bar for current rep for that faction underneath the self buff spell.

It sounds wordy and I'm sorry for that, but if I could post pictures directly into posts it would make it so much clearer.

Consider it! Thanks!

EDIT: currently if you possess the tabard for a faction you will be marked as having completed the faction quest, thus granting you the ability and preventing a lot of whining from players having to run all over the place to complete faction quests once it is implemented.
Edited by Spekkio on 1/26/2011 10:19 PM PST
90 Human Mage
I saw the blue post and I get what was said. But really this has been asked for a LONG time. And the topic kept coming up over and over again last year on the Cataclysm forums. This is something the WoW populace REALLY want. I don't claim to know about game designing and programming...but all the things they do in this game I don't understand why they cant add this. I mean...they seem to have spent more time and effort redesigning the old world which is only useful to leveling and wasn't really needed over a useful feature many many people begged for.
90 Tauren Druid
Just have the "menu" work like the existing equipment manager fly-out. Move tabards to a hidden, auto-expanding bag like keys or currency items. People's existing macros should still work in that case because tabards would still be items. They just wouldn't be filling up our finite bag space anymore.
Since this seems to have magically become the "more suggestions and ideas for tabards" thread, let me throw the inspiration that hit me earlier:

Okay, I imagine a button on the character sheet UI (much around the area the one is for changing gear sets) that is simply for tabards, instead of it being an equipment slot on that screen.

When you click it, a screen that looks a bit like a hybrid between the "Dressing Room" and the pet or mount UI screen pops up: with a picture of your character and their current tabard on top and some rows of tabard icons and names below. You can click on them and click "equip" to equip the tabard, so that tabards end up "learned" somewhat how pets and mounts currently are.

Now for a solution to those tabards that have "on-use" effects. They are rare enough that I think granting an achievement for them can solve that problem: say a player buys the argent tournament one using champions seals. He gets the tabard, and uses it to put it in his tabard collection. This grants him a simple 10 point achievement, but the achievement also awards an item that is sent in the mail that can teleport you to the argent tournament. This allows you to keep those "fun items" in your inventory like some players do the tabards, while clearing the actual tabards out.

This also makes a familiar and approachable UI for tabards that make them simple to change and simple to collect.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
My storage solution for tabards is the vendor. Sell them cause I have no space to keep them. Which essentially makes them pointless (which is too bad!).
Edited by Solvaran on 1/27/2011 12:41 AM PST
85 Human Warrior
01/25/2011 12:30 PMPosted by Lylirra
This is something we've been looking into for a while, and we're confident that we'll be able to implement a feature sometime in the future that gives players a better storage solution for their tabards. We're not sure if that feature will be a cosmetic tab or a drop-down list similar to titles just yet, though; there's still several factors that we need to consider carefully (certain tabards have on-use abilities, for example, which makes storing them a bit more complicated) before we can settle on the best course of action.

Just do it like mounts - we used to carry mounts in our bags, then Blizzard decided to allow us to not have to carry a full size horse in a nap sack.
85 Draenei Shaman
What about giving us a "wardrobe" at a tailors?
Functionally same as a bank, but more appropriate for "clothing" type items. Could even be used for people who collect gear sets from old dungeons etc.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Known suggestion and issue.

It was suggested as soon as we could mem pets and mounts.

Suggesting it more is moot.

Suggesting ways to do it is moot.

Blizzard knows all about this, they have no plans to do it at this time. OR what that blue said, they are thinking about it in various ways, etc and so on and so forth.

They could only have it work on the non use ones. There are so few use ones, such as the argent one that teleports you. Maybe those could still work the old way, to simplify the transition?
Edited by Kybeorie on 1/27/2011 2:25 AM PST
I can make a suggestion to this whole thing.

I see that Blizz is looking for the best way to allow us to display our tabards without taking up bag space while still keeping the on use tabards functional.

I'm not sure how easy this will be to implement, but here it goes!

Create a similar drop down menu like the title menu in the tabard slot.
The menu will display the name of each tabard, and, when you mouse over one of the tabard names, the icon of the tabard will be displayed next to the menu.
This is the same icon for the tabard as the current item icon when viewed in our inventory.

Selecting the tabard will, of course, equip it.

Here's the tricky part, and will rely on how easily it is to code this into the game.

When selecting on use tabards, your player will automatically 'learn' a new spell that will appear in the general tab of your spell book.
Simply click this spell to use the tabard's on use!
When you change tabards, the spell will be unlearned.

While mousing through your tabards, you can preview the tabard the same way you would any item before equipping it.

Another variation to this suggestion is, instead of the drop menu being anchored to the tabard slot on the character sheet, there could be a new tab on the character sheet which displays your tabards in the same manner as your mount and companion tabs.
There is a preview option that functions the same way as an item.
Or, instead of this tab being in the character window, it will be in the spell book as it's tab-
Doing this will allow more room for a similar preview window just the same as for mounts and companions.

All 3 are great options, but again, the tricky part is the on use implementation. I think simply equipping the tabard should cause the character to automatically learn a spell that is for the tabard's on use.
I know it's possible to implement an auto learn/unlearn in the same manner as when you switch specs.
Edited by Timewave on 1/27/2011 3:35 AM PST
90 Troll Hunter
I have a question and fully understand if it cannot be fully answered due to possible development in progress:

In regards to Tabards, would a required rep to wear be adjusted, as you already need that rep to buy the aforementioned tabard.

Example: I have both the Aldor and the Scryers Tabards, but as I am exalted with the Aldor (as is also required to buy the Tabard) I cannot wear the Scryers Tabard.

Hypothetically if a system similar to the Pet and Mount system is implemented, would I once again need to grind to Exalted Scryers to "Learn" that Tabard? (I went from Exalted Aldor to Exalted Scryers, to Exalted Aldor again durring BC)
50 Troll Shaman
01/26/2011 10:17 PMPosted by Spekkio
Here's your solution, please consider it:
Make tabards for decoration purposes only again and change to a reputation attunement system where once you're able to gain a rep tabard now (honored), instead you complete a rep quest for that faction which will teach you a new ability. This ability will go into the spellbook under a new tab for factions which will allow you to cast a buff on yourself to represent one faction at a time. This faction page will also display the progress bar for current rep for that faction underneath the self buff spell.

It sounds wordy and I'm sorry for that, but if I could post pictures directly into posts it would make it so much clearer.

Consider it! Thanks!

EDIT: currently if you possess the tabard for a faction you will be marked as having completed the faction quest, thus granting you the ability and preventing a lot of whining from players having to run all over the place to complete faction quests once it is implemented.

Trick is that tabards dont just give you rep.
Check out the Guild Reward tabards that offer a timed port to your faction's major capital city.
What about the tabards that dont actually have a rep associated with them? Tabard of the Explorer? Tabard of the <Fill In Element Name> from the TCG? What about the Drop tabards? Obviously they arnt the reward of a quest, they're just a random drop.

Just too many exceptions to the rule for this to really be a viable solution.
85 Blood Elf Priest
I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but here are some ideas i've had that may be of use.

instead of a "100 slot" bag or a tab like titles, wouldn't a slot like the one for key chains be more favorable?
85 Draenei Shaman
01/26/2011 7:17 PMPosted by Lylirra
We have a variety of things that we want to do as part of ongoing development for World of Warcraft

Like the dance studio?
85 Human Priest
A lot of people are drawing comparisons with the mount/companions tabs. The reason why tabards can't simply be another tab is because not all tabards are the same. Some tabards have an on-use ability, but most don't. So do you develop a solution that retains the ability to use tabard on-use abilities (like the Coliseum teleport) even when the bulk of tabards don't have them? Or do you find a way to reduce all the tabards down to common denominator and work from there?

More importantly, how do you make the change something that will add more functionality than just fixing a storage problem? Making the change to mounts/companions was more than just fixing the storage problem that collectors were complaining about -- it allowed Blizzard to offer mounts and companions as rewards and micropayment content. It served more than one purpose.

I can see a number of ways to do this.

1) Add a tab to the Spellbook that contains spells learned from items you've collected. When you earn the item, you learn the spell. So the Argent Crusader's Tabard would teach you a "Teleport - Crusader's Coliseum" spell, subject to the appropriate cooldown. Then strip the on-use abilities from the tabards and throw them in a fly-out menu on the Character pane. The advantage of a new Spellbook tab is that you could strip on-use abilities from other non-combat items as well, such as the Dalaran teleport on the Ring of the Kirin Tor.

2) Create a Tabard UI that you would access from the Character pane. This UI would contain a list of the tabards you've acquired, the date you acquired them, and some additional flavor text about the faction or event associated with that tabard. (A lot of people don't remember the Battle of the Dark Portal and the Argent Dawn's participation there, and the Tabard of the Protector doesn't really have a lot of info on it either.) There would also be a setting for an "Active Tabard" which is the one your character will appear to wear. If applicable, the entry for a tabard may have a spell button you can drag to your bars that would allow you to use that ability while that is your active tabard.

3) Create an on-use function for all tabards, and then create a tab for them on the Spellbook. If one of the issues preventing a solution is "how do we do this when not all tabards are created equal?" then make all tabards equal by giving them an on-use function. Tabard of the Scarlet Crusade could provide a teleport to the Scarlet Monastery. The Blood Knight and Hand of Argus tabards could be teleports to Silvermoon and Exodar, respectively.

Cb-Blues: But providing people a large number of teleport abilities without any trade-off diminishes the impact of travel in the world!
Cb-Aerienne: We can already hearth every 15 minutes if we're in a guild. I'd say the travel argument isn't really relevant anymore. ^_^

For anyone posting more suggestions on how to fix the tabard problem: how can you fix the problem AND add functionality to the game?
Just tossing in another voice to the "please consider doing the same thing for the event clothing we've collected over the years" crowd.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]