Tabard Spam...

(Locked)

85 Draenei Shaman
I barely have time to play WoW these days due to school, much less scan all the WoW related fan and news sites. So, it was very useful to see this blue post!
85 Human Warrior
How bout 1 master tabarb? When you hit Exalted (This applies to the Rep Tabarbs) You learn there patterns and then you make your own tabarb?
1 Night Elf Priest
01/25/2011 1:08 PMPosted by Zivaltia
there's still several factors that we need to consider carefully (certain tabards have on-use abilities, for example, which makes storing them a bit more complicated)

I haven't read all other posts on this topic so might be repeating someone else here but you guys have a pretty decent start on how to do this you can almost copy paste the keyring code. I do mean almost there are obviously some differences but the base coding should be pretty identical esp since there are keys with on uses even now still on my ring.
90 Undead Death Knight
Solution:
Secondary Profession - Tabard Printing.
Instead of selling, giving away tabard,
Game gives you the pattern, e.g.

PATTERN - Tabard of the Explorer
Teach you how to print this Tabard
Reagent - Blank Tabard

Pros:
- Crafting Profession UI is designed for accessing large collection of items, accessing tabard in that UI fits naturally. e.g. filter tabard by expansion, origin
- Player can make tabard on use, even if you need to change tabard on the fly, you only need to bring 1 stack of Blank Tabard around. (they could be sold by general store too). Or you can make the frequent use tabard and bring only them with you. How much bag space they use, the decision is on players.

Cons:
None that I can think of
Edited by Pull on 1/25/2011 8:24 PM PST
85 Night Elf Priest
I would have thought that a simple solution to tabards would be the use of already implemented mechanics - in the character UI we have a tabard field that allows you to select tabards from your inventory - why not alter that space to show stored tabards? once a tabard is gained and equipped it is automatically stored into that tabard slot of the UI to be selected at will, it can increase in size the same way the keyring works

I cant see how that would cause an issue with tabards with use effects

In reality the same should be implemented to store at least 2 sets of gear per slot outside of the bags/bank considering players can have 2 talent sets

Personally i am nearly maxed bank/bags with bop items and seems to just collect more and more, now i have to decided what to destroy just to have some room for quest items / herbs

28 Undead Mage
01/25/2011 1:04 PMPosted by Bloka

No, but I can see the confusion. I just mean an additional tab that's superficial or non-essential (the literal definition of "cosmetic").

Oh, ok thanks.

I'll just clean up the broken shards of my hopes and go cry in the corner, now.

For real. :(
85 Worgen Rogue
01/25/2011 12:30 PMPosted by Lylirra
This is something we've been looking into for a while, and we're confident that we'll be able to implement a feature sometime in the future that gives players a better storage solution for their tabards. We're not sure if that feature will be a cosmetic tab or a drop-down list similar to titles just yet, though; there's still several factors that we need to consider carefully (certain tabards have on-use abilities, for example, which makes storing them a bit more complicated) before we can settle on the best course of action.

The On-Use ability on general tab of spell book :P though that would be kinda weird/random.
Or make it like the mount tab, and next to the equip button put a "Use" button.
85 Gnome Warlock
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I can't think of a tabard that does something other than teleport you somewhere else.

You could make a general tabard spell or item with a 8 hour cooldown, like the shroud of cooperation, that basically works like a hearth except the bind point changes based on your tabard and applies to all tabards. It should take you to the faction's quartermaster. Implementing it should only require storing another bind point that changes when you switch tabards instead of talking to an innkeeper. You wouldn't need to create a new spell for each tabard. Just define a relationship between each tabard and a corresponding world location somewhere in your design.

On another note, a system similar to this would be nice for old tier pieces. You could have an achievement for gathering all the set pieces and have the achievement give you a reward that makes it look like you're wearing that set.
85 Blood Elf Priest
I don't see why this is an issue. The majority of tabards in the game are easily replaceable. The few that you may want to keep shouldn't take up too much space, nor should anyone complain about spending inventory and bank space on purely vanity items.
85 Draenei Hunter
This is something we've been looking into for a while, and we're confident that we'll be able to implement a feature sometime in the future that gives players a better storage solution for their tabards. We're not sure if that feature will be a cosmetic tab or a drop-down list similar to titles just yet, though; there's still several factors that we need to consider carefully (certain tabards have on-use abilities, for example, which makes storing them a bit more complicated) before we can settle on the best course of action.

Just implement it like the key ring.
90 Human Mage

So, then, you guys don't read the forums too much, do you? I came up with a perfectly viable solution for this problem a couple weeks ago.

I know you folks at Blizzard have talked about wanting to make a tab for Tabard Storage, but you were having a tough time coming up with how to work it with those pesky "on use" tabards.

I think I've come up with the solution:

Let us drag the "on use" tabard onto our bars and use it from there.

This already works. For example; I have my Argent Tournament tabard in my bags. I drag it to a bar with a hotkey. If I hit the key once, it equips the tabard. And if I hit it a second time, it uses it to teleport me to the Tournament grounds.

I think it would be quite simple to do that with a tabard tab, if it's done similar to the mount/pet tabs. Right now, we can drag the picture of a pet to our bar, and click on it to summon the pet. Same for the tabard, only you hit the hotkey twice instead of once.

Alternatively if you make a tab similar to the mount and pet tabs, instead of a "summon" button, it could be "equip". And once that particular tabard is equipped, two buttons could show up, like "un-equip" and "use".

Just my ideas to help get the tarbard tab to the WoW community soon. Would really love to free up that bank/inventory space :)
I would suggest a variable to the tabard that have on-use abilities. This variable to the coding basically states 'if has X use then count as exterior equip" where as the regular tabards would be "interior equip"
10 Night Elf Druid
i honestly dont see the big deal about tabards?
i mean yes you need them to get faster rep but after you are done then that's it. do people really need a million tabards? i never understood what is the big deal about tabards, barely any are good for anything and they actually make the gear look hideous by blocking the nice looking chest pieces
90 Undead Rogue
There's already a tabard vendor that tracks every tabard you have access to and allows you to buy back ones you've lost. Seems like a quick fix might be to just lower the vendor's price for the tabards, making it less of a gold sink to leave your tabards with him and just buy back the one or two you think you might want to wear on a given day/week.
90 Human Paladin
01/25/2011 3:45 PMPosted by Lylirra
For this, give us a huge bank slot or bag or keyring equivalent and then make something pointlessly complex if you wish.

We're not trying to over complicate the situation, but if we're looking at adding a new feature, we want to make sure it's meaningful and appropriate for the game in the long-term. (Or, you know, at least try to.)

Right now, we're considering a variety of options because we agree that tabard storage would be great, and some of those options extend beyond simply adding another bank slot -- not because they're complex, but because we believe they'll make the most sense and feel the best when you're in game.

Exactly this. And I wish that Blizzard would start recognizing it.

We're not against interim solutions on principle by any means, especially if we feel they're worthwhile. It's just that we have to tread lightly and always be mindful of what happens to those stopgaps once the final product is released.

Why does it take you designers so long to "design" something for the tabards? The drop down sounds easy to do, why has it taken you all these years to figure something out and still not do anything about it. So many people have requested this, and I thought you guys make your customers happy?
90 Human Warlock
01/25/2011 1:00 PMPosted by Lylirra
[quote="19655713265"]A 75 slot tabard only bag and bank slot doesn't sound any more complicated than a 32 slot mining bag.

Is that really the most elegant solution, though? It might be quickest and simplest, but that doesn't mean there aren't better alternatives available. If we can implement a type of storage that's integrated into the character UI and doesn't take up extra bank space, then that would probably be more ideal.

(That option might not be technically possible due to the way some tabards work, of course, but it's something we're investigating.)

quote]

This statement is what makes WOW and Blizzard the best out there. Don't do just the quick and simple fix like most fail MMO's do but look and see if there is a "Better" Thank you Blizzard
90 Undead Death Knight
01/25/2011 9:37 PMPosted by Delinia
So, then, you guys don't read the forums too much, do you? I came up with a perfectly viable solution for this problem a couple weeks ago.

And how viable is that? Extra storage is NOT the way to solve tabard problem.
And I dont seeing having to click once to equiip THEN click to use is any elegant way to solve the problem.

Solution:
Secondary Profession - Tabard Printing.
Instead of selling, giving away tabard,
Game gives you the pattern, e.g.

PATTERN - Tabard of the Explorer
Teach you how to print this Tabard
Reagent - Blank Tabard

Pros:
- Crafting Profession UI is designed for accessing large collection of items, accessing tabard in that UI fits naturally. e.g. filter tabard by expansion, origin
- Player can make tabard on use, even if you need to change tabard on the fly, you only need to bring 1 stack of Blank Tabard around. (they could be sold by general store too). Or you can make the frequent use tabard and bring only them with you. How much bag space they use, the decision is on players.

Cons:
None that I can think of

Ya it's childish to compare suggestions, but mine are tons more awesome than yours.
Edited by Pull on 1/25/2011 10:29 PM PST
I'd like to throw several things out there.

1. If a solution holds every tabard except, say, 3, it's probably still a decent solution.
2. A keyring type solution seems ideal.
3. If that's not feasible, perhaps have an NPC who works like a pet restorer, for ALL tabards, not just some of them.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]