Why do you think healing was fun pre-cata?

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I do not understand why people keep saying that healing is not fun ANYMORE?

what made them fun back in WOTLK for you?

infinite mana? probably, but after a while it got tiring being god-mode all the time

Was using the single fastest heal to outsnipe other healers fun?

Was racking up so much overheals fun?

I think the new model is much better wherein most of our heals actually land and heal with minimal overheals. The new model is pretty consistent with what warcraft is, if you played warcraft 2&3 heals didnt get you to max life in 1 shot [granted those were RTS]
85 Goblin Priest
I didn't get raid to extensively, but I cleared ICC 10 as Holy and I really enjoyed healing.

I liked the quick nature of the game. It was intense, it challenged my reflexes and I felt like I was actually healer. The "infinite" mana was a little over the top but I liked feeling like I could go toe-to-toe with whatever the boss could dish out. If something went horrifically wrong I could pop Divine Hymn and buy a few seconds to stabilize the situation. As Holy in 10 I could use almost all my spells so I didn't really have the "spam one button" fatigue that other specs saw.

The Cataclysm model has been more strategic (at least in gearing for heroics) but I never feel powerful. I can't change the tide of battle even though I out-gear heroics now. I'm just holding on long enough for the DPS to win the battle.
100 Night Elf Druid

infinite mana? probably, but after a while it got tiring being god-mode all the time

I think the new model is much better wherein most of our heals actually land and heal with minimal overheals. The new model is pretty consistent with what warcraft is, if you played warcraft 2&3 heals didnt get you to max life in 1 shot [granted those were RTS]
Do DPS toons find it really boring to do big dps numbers all the time? I doubt it. To answer your question, healing in LK was infinitely more fun than what I'm having currently.
85 Troll Druid
I liked clutch healing back then, when a NS+HT crit could bring a tank from 5% to 80% instantaneously. I just liked the pace of it.

That being said, Cataclysm raid healing has been more intense than WotLK ever was. There are times that I'm literally holding my breath when I have to prioritize when multiple raid members are taking damage, or when I'm watching my innervate CD tick down and wondering if I can pull it off...

I like Cataclysm raid healing a LOT more than Wrath, but I still hate these new lengthy dungeons filled with irrelevant trash so I can get my valor.. but I don't mean to go off track.
85 Goblin Shaman
01/25/2011 9:54 PMPosted by Outiluke
I liked clutch healing back then, when a NS+HT crit could bring a tank from 5% to 80% instantaneously. I just liked the pace of it.

That being said, Cataclysm raid healing has been more intense than WotLK ever was. There are times that I'm literally holding my breath when I have to prioritize when multiple raid members are taking damage, or when I'm watching my innervate CD tick down and wondering if I can pull it off...

I like Cataclysm raid healing a LOT more than Wrath, but I still hate these new lengthy dungeons filled with irrelevant trash so I can get my valor.. but I don't mean to go off track.

This. All of this.
100 Human Paladin
01/25/2011 9:05 PMPosted by Lambs
I liked the quick nature of the game.

This, yes.
85 Dwarf Priest
I am not a novice at Warcraft. I remember when Molten Core 40 man was THE raid. And I have pretty much enjoyed the years I have spent healing, tanking and DPSing since pre-BC. In WotLK I enjoyed DK tanking (though this went out the window with the pre-cata changes, i never tank now) and healing as a holy priest immensely, so much so I had a horde and an alliance priest I raided on.

But at NO stage during my Warcraft (until now) have I disliked something so much that I have gone to the trouble of posting my feelings on the game. I gave my holy priest time, got it semi-geared, and yet there is no longer enjoyment in healing for me. But it isn't lack of gear (or the constant mana watching) that has ruined it for me. It is just too outright complex for me to enjoy now. I don't want or need a million different chakra states to worry about changing in or out of, in combination with the different 'Inner Fire' or the run faster and instant casts cost less buff. I am not an idiot wanting 1 button gameplay, but on the other side of the coin I don't want the current complex 'multi-state' system you have thrown on us. Come on, how many heals do we need to bind?

1. Renew
2. Flash Heal
3. Heal
4. Greater Heal
5. Prayer of Mending
6. Prayer of Healing
7. Circle of Healing
8. Divine Hymn

OMG that isn't enough for holy priests to have fun selecting from. Lets make the mana cost of Flash Heal and Renew prohibitive, and introduce some chakra states. and spells that change what they cast depending on what chakra state is current.

Healing is a pivotal role in any group, but holy priest is just too complicated to be fun for me any more. I am not saying that the current holy model is impossible. It isn't, I can do it and heal heroics and usually have mana left at the end. It just is too complicated to be fun for me any more. By making holy priest more complicated doesn't necessarily make it more interesting. For me it is just more tedious and no longer has the smooth feel that healing in WotLK had.

I won't be healing anything, and am thinking of taking a total break from Warcraft. PLEASE Blizzard, make holy priest fun to play again. Warcraft is a game I play to have fun, but you have made holy priest a chore to do.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
01/25/2011 9:54 PMPosted by Outiluke
but I still hate these new lengthy dungeons filled with irrelevant trash so I can get my valor

shh don't tell Blizzard you hate trash, we'll get another ToC.
90 Human Priest
01/25/2011 9:44 PMPosted by Stellan
Do DPS toons find it really boring to do big dps numbers all the time? I doubt it. To answer your question, healing in LK was infinitely more fun than what I'm having currently.

I do. That's why I don't play DPS in groups.

Healers do not need to play like DPS toons. WotLK tried that, it sucked, and now it's over.
85 Blood Elf Paladin

The thing is, Dps and healing vary in terms of overhealing. In dpsing, the concept of OVERKILL is of minimal effect as compared to OVERHEALING which back then in WOTLK was like 50%, and some healers who are not fast enough had them at 80%.

Sure you get to see huge crit heals, but do they actually land? or so you think

Wherein in DPSing, every point of damage lands for the same amount unless that boss is already at 1%
90 Human Warrior
Wotlk was enjoyable because the paladin class mechanics made mana management fun. Melee the boss for mana, AW+Plea (since it would actually net you mana), and other things that made it more involving.

Now with these long cast times, I'm constantly annoyed when someone takes a big chunk of damage and I can't even land a heal on them before they die and I especially hate it when I'm literally spamming my biggest heal on a tank and they still die. Ahh, sooo fun ... ;
87 Goblin Shaman
Vanilla was annoying, but doable.

BC was fun, but scary at low gear levels .

Wrath was overpowered, but some encounters demanded it. Fun at times, overly stressful at other.s

Cata is annoying and mixed with gear issues.(Seriously itemization is BAD BAD. Did you guys even try this time?)

Been healing for a long time. This new ideal where heals do so little, and I have no CDs like other classes. Healing feels very backwards to me now and I don't like it. I feel like I'm fighting mechanics of my class more then I am fighting mechanics of the boss.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
01/25/2011 10:42 PMPosted by Grìmace
I am not a novice at Warcraft. I remember when Molten Core 40 man was THE raid. And I have pretty much enjoyed the years I have spent healing, tanking and DPSing since pre-BC. In WotLK I enjoyed DK tanking (though this went out the window with the pre-cata changes, i never tank now) and healing as a holy priest immensely, so much so I had a horde and an alliance priest I raided on.

But at NO stage during my Warcraft (until now) have I disliked something so much that I have gone to the trouble of posting my feelings on the game. I gave my holy priest time, got it semi-geared, and yet there is no longer enjoyment in healing for me. But it isn't lack of gear (or the constant mana watching) that has ruined it for me. It is just too outright complex for me to enjoy now. I don't want or need a million different chakra states to worry about changing in or out of, in combination with the different 'Inner Fire' or the run faster and instant casts cost less buff. I am not an idiot wanting 1 button gameplay, but on the other side of the coin I don't want the current complex 'multi-state' system you have thrown on us. Come on, how many heals do we need to bind?

1. Renew
2. Flash Heal
3. Heal
4. Greater Heal
5. Prayer of Mending
6. Prayer of Healing
7. Circle of Healing
8. Divine Hymn

OMG that isn't enough for holy priests to have fun selecting from. Lets make the mana cost of Flash Heal and Renew prohibitive, and introduce some chakra states. and spells that change what they cast depending on what chakra state is current.

Healing is a pivotal role in any group, but holy priest is just too complicated to be fun for me any more. I am not saying that the current holy model is impossible. It isn't, I can do it and heal heroics and usually have mana left at the end. It just is too complicated to be fun for me any more. By making holy priest more complicated doesn't necessarily make it more interesting. For me it is just more tedious and no longer has the smooth feel that healing in WotLK had.

I won't be healing anything, and am thinking of taking a total break from Warcraft. PLEASE Blizzard, make holy priest fun to play again. Warcraft is a game I play to have fun, but you have made holy priest a chore to do.

I think your issue with healing is more of class complexity, Priests are marketed as jacks of all trades master of none (or master of aoe heals). It is more of adjustment to the new system since you've been probably spoiled back in WOTLK when priests had very few skills to spam with.

I do have a priest, think of chakra switching as in combat spec change. (not much different from how you can change spec holy/disc per boss in cata)
Serenity = single target heals
Sanctuary = aoe heals

CD of holy is guardian spirit only so it shouldnt be tough to manage

on "serenity" state, your rotation should focus more on rolling renew on the tank, while having your heal [slow efficient]/ gheal [slow big heal] / serenity [fast efficient] as direct heals while mending/shield/coh as your support heals.

on "sancturay" state, your focus would be on aoe no real need to explain

in the same case of the simplified paladins, we can only pop radiance every 30 secs as you can switch to sanctuary state every 30 secs.

Priests are by design a complex healer who's effectiveness scales on player skill.
Give it time to relearn the class, or you can also try other healers

85 Blood Elf Paladin
01/25/2011 10:57 PMPosted by Duese
Wotlk was enjoyable because the paladin class mechanics made mana management fun. Melee the boss for mana, AW+Plea (since it would actually net you mana), and other things that made it more involving.

Now with these long cast times, I'm constantly annoyed when someone takes a big chunk of damage and I can't even land a heal on them before they die and I especially hate it when I'm literally spamming my biggest heal on a tank and they still die. Ahh, sooo fun ... ;

With the upcoming plea mechanics, as well as sader strike being accessible to holy as a holy power generator, the playstyle is essentially the same and you can still play similarly like this.

If you find enough time back then [where tank health is much more spiky than it is now] to hit the boss for mana then you'll have more time now since tank life doesnt dip from 100 -> 0 in 3 seconds
90 Worgen Druid
Cause we didn't fail.
Edited by Grabble on 1/25/2011 11:44 PM PST
1 Troll Hunter
I'm a healer all the way from Classic WoW 1.x. To me, Cataclysm healing model is much closer to what I was used to and I tend to enjoy this healing model more.
90 Night Elf Druid
I preferred pre-wrath healing (tbc was good, vanilla was good). The one thing we don't have now that we *always* had to this point, was "the big heal". A healing spell, regardless of mana cost, that could heal someone for 50% or more of their health. If my HT or Greater (on my priest) would heal for 50k, I'd be in a happy place; even if it cost 15k mana. That one big 2.5 second button.
85 Draenei Shaman
Pally healing in Wrath was

HLHLHLHL judge off CD HLHLHLHLHL judge off CD

Shaman healing was

CHCHCH riptide off CD for haste CHCHCH Riptide haste CHCHCH

disc priest was pretty much

PoM bubble x10 PoM bubble x10

pretty much the same stuff over and over again

Cata healing, heh, I use riptide for actual healing (tidal waves is awesome too!)

I liked both x-pacs
85 Dwarf Priest
01/25/2011 11:01 PMPosted by Decitar
Priests are by design a complex healer who's effectiveness scales on player skill.
Give it time to relearn the class, or you can also try other healers

I KNOW the current priest model, i CAN play it. The point I was trying to make is that Blizzard have made the class so complex I no longer enjoy holy priest healing. The game is meant to be fun, not a chore, which is what the current model feels like to me. I was expressing my own feelings, which doesn't necessarily match that of all other holy priests. Personally I would like to see the Chakra state removed from the game, and Blizzard tweak the other healing spells mana/heal amounts to suit. Priests have 2 healing talent trees, no other class has this. We dont need a multifunctional holy spec as well.

I don't intend to make a healer of another class. I'll just join the growing DPS population and the healer pool will dwindle by one more.
Edited by Grìmace on 1/26/2011 12:34 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]