Divine Storm Changes for 4.0.6

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Before i get trolled, i know that this has probably been said before and some of these changes i am proposing may have or are going to be changed already on the PTR. I don't have the time to do the research so i will just state what i am thinking.

The Following are my thoughts on what made retribution unique in PvP and also PvE.

The reason paladin feels so clunky to me is because divine storm is no longer a part of our single target damage rotation. I am not saying the ability is not the end all to be all for signature retribution paladin abilities. However it just felt so cool to use and i guess it grew on me so much so that when they took it away it left this empty void to be filled that Templar's Verdict does not fill.
Perhaps it was because the only "in melee range" damage ability we had during wrath was crusader strike so most of the time we did not have that "rogue" or "warrior" feel of constantly having to be in melee range to get any damage in. That was the feel that made me love retribution in Wrath of the Lich King and set it aside from all the other melee classes. Currently Crusader Strike and Templars Verdict, both in melee range abilities, are amongst the top damaging abilities a retribution paladin has to offer. The thing that bugs me is that Crusader Strike is the only ability we have that GUARANTEES us one holy power and it is an in melee range ability, unlike Divine Storm.

One thing i think would help bring back some of the feel that i came to crave about retribution is if Divine Storm did not share a cool down with Crusader Strike. Crusader strike, in comparison to Judgement, seal, Exorcism and Divine Storm damage, was kind of low in Wrath of the Lich King. All Crusader Strike really did was refresh your current Judgement on the target and apply the current seal damage. Why can't Divine Storm work the same way? It should be a separate cool down from Crusader Strike, grant one holy power, and also apply the current seal damage active.

They are already making it so more than just Judgement and weapon swings apply seal damage, why not make Divine Storm a separate cool down and grant one holy power? In return they could lower the chance for Divine Purpose to grant a holy power. Divine Storm guaranteeing one holy power is not as important as it being a separate cool down from crusader strike. I think people would still use it for the minor healing it gives and also because it could potentially grant a holy power. I think this would bring back some of the feel that made ret fun for me to play, while not making it a FCFS rotation.

Just my thoughts...
Edited by Dakirenna on 1/26/2011 8:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
Because then Ret damage would go up and 90% of all Pallys wouldn't be Holy:P

Ret does need something. Their DPS blows next to other DPS toons other than Frost mages, Beast Hunters and Sub Rogues. Boy they are just terrible in PvE. Ret sit just over them. Not a proud place to be.

Maybe the mastery change helps. But will it help that almost sitting and auto attacking feel to Ret? Only thing more boring was the old Shaman who waited for WF to go off when Shaman used 2 handers:(

I guess if you RNG is good you push buttons. But if it doesn't my God Ret is just so bad why play one.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Why cant they get rid of the shared cooldown with crusader strike?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
01/27/2011 6:14 AMPosted by Andile
Why cant they get rid of the shared cooldown with crusader strike?

Because in this xpac they are trying to separate AoE and ST rotations. If DS had a separate CD to CS then it would be in the ST rotation, and we would be balanced with than in mind, leading to UP DPS in any situation with AoE.

What they need to do to DS to give it back a niche is to make it proc HoPo 100% of the time, and balance the damage so you want to use it with 2 or 3+ adds rather than 5+ adds.

01/26/2011 8:44 PMPosted by Dakirenna
The reason paladin feels so clunky to me is because divine storm is no longer a part of our single target damage rotation.

It is clunky because blizzard want it clunky with CS (and DS) having their CDs scale with haste so if CS is to generate more HoPo with more haste (as they seem to want all melee doing with haste and resources) then there have to be a ton of sub 1.5s holes all over the rotation left over. If there wasn't the clunk then SoB would be pointless.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/27/2011 7:23 AMPosted by Zamm
Because in this xpac they are trying to separate AoE and ST rotations. If DS had a separate CD to CS then it would be in the ST rotation, and we would be balanced with than in mind, leading to UP DPS in any situation with AoE.

- The thing that gets me is that we now went from mainly spell casting, via Judgement, Exorcism and Divine Storm, to now all of our damage being dumped into mainly crusader strike and Templar's Verdict. As i said earlier i loved ret because of the fact that we were a melee that could still cause substantial damage without having to be in melee range all of the time.

- I believe someone just made a thread with an idea to make Art of War proc like it used to in Wrath, to some extent. I think the idea was to make it proc off of a certain spell being used and trading damage off of another ability, don't quote me on this though. Something like this would help so that while we are playing catch up to say, a frost Mage, we aren't completely nullified of all the damage we can put out.

More thoughts on retribution spell mechanics...

Take ret in Wrath of the Lich King as an example... say a Mage was kiting us endlessly through snares, roots, spell stealing buffs etc, we could still use Judgement and to a lesser extent divine storm because both had more than the 5 yrd minimum range, and if either of them critically hit we would be able to use exorcism or flash of light to heal ourselves. Now if we are being kited outside of melee range all we have is Judgement because exorcism procs from melee swings and crusader strike is an in melee range ability as well as Templar's Verdict. This leaves us with a one spell, Judgement, when being kited and as you all know, Judgement does very insignificant damage, especially if you cant get in melee range to apply the seal.

This is troublesome because before we could Judgement or divine storm and maybe get an art of war proc and get some heals off. Judgement also had close to a 50% chance to critically hit, when talented. Judgement and Divine Storm also hit fairly hard which provided for good damage while being kited.

As many have been saying lately, if they want us to be using crusader strike as our main holy power building ability, as well as one of our highest damaging abilities, then they have to give us a snare of some sort. Seal of justice is not the solution unless Judgement by itself applies the debuff without being in melee range because once you lose your target out of melee range you can no longer apply the seal and therefore the target walks away at maximum speed. If we are going to start playing as other melee do then, as others have stated before and this is not my idea, we do in fact need a snare to effectively put out damage due to latency and other issues that have plagued melee since release.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]