Outland Inconvenience

(Locked)

85 Draenei Shaman
Putting the original comment aside due to the presence of trainers and auctioneers in Shattrath and Dalaran (they're in the Scryer and Aldor banks in Shattrath, if I remember correctly), I'm not a fan of Outland now because it seems so sluggish compared to the new content. I blew through 1-60 on a newly created Warlock recently and had a great time doing it, but got tired of Outland after about 63 or 64. It's nowhere near as well done as the new Azeroth, which speaks volumes about the quality of the new leveling experience.

This is funny because I remember leveling characters during Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King and thinking that I couldn't wait to get to Outland/Northrend because they were so much better than the previous expansion's content at the time. BC and WotLK felt considerably better than their previous counterparts and this expansion is no exception (in my opinion), but having the sluggish part towards the end kind of weighs things down. However, I was amazed at how much tediousness was taken out of the old world. Having leveled two characters to 60 during vanilla WoW, the lack of running around to get item X for someone on another continent was greatly appreciated.

It would be nice if you were able to quest in the old world until 62 or 63. I was kind of bummed at how I had to abandon the Worgen village in Blasted Lands because the experience was something like 1/10th of what I was getting before I hit 60. I know I could have kept doing them on that character or just went back and done them on my main, but I think it would have been more fun to be able to at least finish the zone out before I left for Outland without having such a harsh xp penalty. I hope the leveling experience in Outland and Northrend get the Cataclysm treatment some day. I'd love to see what Outland and Northrend are like now that Illidan and Kael'thas are gone and now that Arthas is no longer the Lich King.

TL;DR I'm not looking for a free pass through Outland or Northrend, but it would be awesome to see them improved upon in the same way Azeroth was improved. Especially since they were so much better when they came out than the leveling experiences that came before them.
100 Human Warlock
I think they need to add an in game loading screen tip reminder people of the trainers/AH in Dal & Shatt.
11 Draenei Mage
01/28/2011 9:59 AMPosted by Ketiron

But most of you wouldn't know that, would you? You're so used to having everything handed to you. Easy access to the world was just a hop and a skip away, just hearth to Shattrath, or later on to Dalaran, and on you go. We all did it, I'll admit. But now that crutch is gone, and unlike a lot of you, there are quite a few of us who've learned to walk (or in this case, fly, lol) without it.

I've been here for all that you listed, like hey remember when flight paths didn't automatically connect to the next so you couldn't just go AFK when flying across the continent?

But that's all unrelated (in my opinion). Travel has changed drastically since then. I am not just asking for portals in the capitals because I don't think that is necessary by any means, but I do think it is disproportionate how long it takes to go from say Zul'drak to Orgrimmar in comparison with the rest of the leveling process. Like I posted before I think Outland is ok really because there's really no need to go to the furthest away zones. By the way, why did they make you die if you fly between Shadowmoon Valley and Hellfire Peninsula? It certainly didn't used to do that and would help with transportation times for those who do choose to level there.
Edited by Zendra on 1/28/2011 10:14 AM PST
85 Night Elf Druid
01/28/2011 9:59 AMPosted by Ketiron
I'm disgusted (but not altogether surprised) that this debate is still ongoing. The blue poster comes out and points out that there are class trainers and AHs in Shattrath and Dalaran - the only reason we really needed the portals in the first place - and yet there is still a page-and-a-half of people going "QQ, this sucks, going to the AH in Org/SW is so hard now".

I could point out a few "back in my day" things, like when you needed 20 (for ZG/AQ20) or 40 (for everything else) people to run raids, paladins weren't allowed to be anything but holy, druids weren't allowed to be anything but boomkins, or when you had to slog it out on foot - or spend 10 minutes on a flight path - to get anywhere. Back when there were 40 levels' difference (instead of 20) between Tirisfal Glades and Western Plaguelands. (Oh, the bears were so loveable back then.) Back when the only portals were opened by mages, and the Dark Portal was just a nice bit of scenery on the map. Back when only Alliance would have paladins (like I used to be, lol) and only Horde could have shamans. Yada yada yada.

But most of you wouldn't know that, would you? You're so used to having everything handed to you. Easy access to the world was just a hop and a skip away, just hearth to Shattrath, or later on to Dalaran, and on you go. We all did it, I'll admit. But now that crutch is gone, and unlike a lot of you, there are quite a few of us who've learned to walk (or in this case, fly, lol) without it.

You easy-port fetishists make me sick.

I love it when people talk about how hard things were. It reminds me of old people talking about walking 15 miles up hill in the show without shoes ... or something like that.

Two words you need to learn, progression and population.

This game had it's cult following and was a great game in the beginning but because of progression, World of Warcraft continued to see a steep rise in population. Sure, I see the reward in making things difficult but it's still a game. When things were made more convenient (easier) the subscriber base increased massively.

Now they have somewhat reverted to Vanilla but it's odd because you get a message telling you how to play the game. Yes, we are going to make the game much harder but then cheat and tell you how to play the game. Not to mention the popup messages are somewhat distracting, rather than being helpful.

Oh wait, let me stop what I am doing to read the message on the screen, oops I am dead now. Well, now the game told me how to do it on the next attempt.

I honestly don't see the problem.

Ding 68, go to outlands. Gain some levels quickly. Hearth back to town, AH, log out til next day, whatever. Use dark portal to get back to Hellfire. Quest there more or in the next zone. Log out in some inn. Continue next day.

Honestly, I never even went to Shat when leveling alts through there.

Dalaran could be more of a problem since there's no quick way besides a slow boat to get there. But again, trainers and auction house in Dal. Go there.

When Northrend opened up, people didn't stay in Shat did they? Now that there are portals to all the new content in Stormwind and Org, why would people congregate in Dal. Even if they did, why is that such a harm?

No, because Northrend had all the portals too, including to shat! And all the max level content was in that zone.

I assure you, if Dalaran had the portals, people would stay there. Why? Because you have the option, for convenience, to port to any city. Why set your hearth in Stormwind when you can set it in a town that can instantly take you to Stormwind, Ironforge, or Darnassus, or caverns of time, whichever is more convenient for your current travel needs? Answer: a sensible person wouldn't.

My chief complaint about thing is I wish they had the cata portals and fishing/cooking dailies in Ironforge as well as Stormwind. I really prefer that town.

And I can assure you that would not be the case especially if they added similar portals in Stormwind and Org, further ensuring they are the new "old" hubs.

In either case, I don't understand why so much pressure was or is being put on making Stormwind and Org the hubs. Let people stay where they want to stay. If everyone stays in Dal, you will still get the same sense of community as staying in Storm or Org. I also liked the idea of a major city to house both factions.

Why is everyone so against fast travel? These same people are the ones saying "drr, just go afk and get fat (I mean make a sandwich)." Well, why be against fast travel if you aren't even going to stand there and enjoy the ride, which as it happens you are experiencing for the millionth time.
Edited by Adoniá on 1/28/2011 10:17 AM PST
85 Human Mage
It's something like a 3 minute flight to the dark portal from Shatt. assuming you even need to leave. Does everything in the game really need to be instant to stop people from complaining?
85 Night Elf Druid
01/28/2011 10:18 AMPosted by Brangar
It's something like a 3 minute flight to the dark portal from Shatt. assuming you even need to leave. Does everything in the game really need to be instant to stop people from complaining?

This is the age of instant. Why would anyone expect less out of a game? Why would anyone be against an instant flight when you have already seen the flight path thousands of times?
11 Draenei Mage
It was while I was doing archaeology on my 85 BE priest on a flying carpet, maybe 2 weeks or so after Cataclysm came out. Unfortunately at this point I don't remember the exact area I tried to cross at, maybe it was just a bug if you've been able to cross at other areas recently...I didn't attempt again after dying once.

Edit: I just flew around there on the same character without issue, it must have been a release bug or something. Thanks for letting me know it's safe!
Edited by Zendra on 1/28/2011 10:42 AM PST
100 Undead Priest
01/28/2011 9:08 AMPosted by Bashiok
There are class trainers and auction houses in Shattrath now.

(Dalaran too)

Orly? I knew Shatt had trainers but I couldn't find its Auction House a month or so ago. Anyone know where it is?

Edit: Oh hay, someone answered this already.
Edited by Solder on 1/28/2011 10:32 AM PST
85 Human Warlock
While we have blue's attention, I'd just to note that the Shattrath Guards need to be updated with the presence and location of their new auction hall.
81 Night Elf Druid

(Dalaran too)

How come there are no Ink Traders in Stormwind/Orgrimmar? This just seems counter-intuitive to your "We want the old world to mean something" policy.

Do you have any idea how annoying it is to get to Dalaran everytime I want to make one of my alts a glyph?
85 Tauren Warrior

(Dalaran too)

Orly? I knew Shatt had trainers but I couldn't find its Auction House a month or so ago. Anyone know where it is?

Edit: Oh hay, someone answered this already.
In the Engineering room.
Edited by Gogetters on 1/28/2011 10:36 AM PST
90 Dwarf Priest
Bashiok,

I have a suggestion (not sure where Suggestions forum is anymore, couldn't find it): Why not put the portal to one major city for the Alliance and one major city for the Horde back to Shattrath and Dalaran and just limit it to appropriate levels (say, level 58-70 for Shattrath-to-SW/Org and level 68-80 for Dalaran-to-SW/Org)? Sort of how you have a level requirement on Blasted Lands portals.

I believe that would make those remote leveling zones more accessible for people who are actually leveling there, without making it useful for maximum level players.

Maxem
100 Blood Elf Warlock
01/28/2011 10:14 AMPosted by Zendra
By the way, why did they make you die if you fly between Shadowmoon Valley and Hellfire Peninsula? It certainly didn't used to do that and would help with transportation times for those who do choose to level there.

Hmmm? I've been going to OL a fair bit recently to finish loremaster there and now getting the reps up... but I've flown between Hellfire and Shadowmoon without any fatigue...
11 Draenei Mage
It wasn't fatigue it was more like instant death/dismount Sváfa mentioned experiencing.

That said I think it's either been fixed or it's a very small area that it happens at, because I am in Outland now and cannot reproduce it.
90 Tauren Druid

(Dalaran too)

Thank you I will be moving out of Orgimmar now.

*Lunartic begins to pack her bags.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]