Outland Inconvenience

(Locked)

4 Undead Warlock

01/28/2011 9:05 AMPosted by Aimless
On an undead lock, and this hunter, I have been thoroughly enjoying the leveling experience again. However, it seems Blizzard went to a lot of trouble to make Outland as difficult as possible, by taking out the portals in Shatt. It could be that I'm missing something, but having asked on Trade Channel, it seems alll access other than by another player porting you, is strictly in and through the Dark Portal.

If this is wrong, please enlighten me. If I'm right, then my enjoyable leveling experience just came to a crashing end. What I don't get is... how can Blizz do SO WELL (and I mean leveling so far has been a blast!) on one part and totally screw up another? Easy access to AH, etc. in Org and UC is crucial to the game, so why make it so difficult?

What is it that's difficult? What do you need to go back to the old worlds for that aren't in Shatt?
Edited by Breathless on 1/28/2011 11:21 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Priest
What do you need to go back to the old worlds for that aren't in Shatt

Nightelf archeology fragments >.<
82 Blood Elf Priest

On either side of the Dark Portal are mage portals. One goes to Stormwind and the other goes to Orgrimmar.

There's your shortcut home.

I'll have to check for this, if true it will be less of a pain in the ass to do the Shatt daily fishing when it's for the crocs. Previously it was horrible, unless you loved traveling.
85 Human Mage
01/28/2011 10:19 AMPosted by Chuckle
I haven't read this whole thread so it may have been mentioned already but upon exploring outland the other day I found a port to orgrimmar out by the dark portal on outland side.

I don't think those are usable, unless that's changed too.
3 Human Rogue
Would it kill you to add a portal to Crystalsong Forest (or Storm Peaks or Icecrown even) right beside the portal to the Blasted Lands?

I'm really ok with it being a "one way" type trip. But struggling to get there every time I don't want to log out in Lagwind or Laggrimmar, AND then struggling to get back to Azeroth and Kalimdor really saps the fun factor.

11 Draenei Mage
Lastly, I challenge Blizzard to take a member-wide vote via survey with respect to portals to see just what side most players favor. You might be surprised...

What people say they want/do not want is not necessarily what is best for the game. There are necessary time/gold sinks, difficulties, restrictions, etc that many people would claim to dislike and want removed...but if they were removed from the game it would be disastrous. Granted the portals being there or not is pretty minor, but this idea of making decisions via surveys is flawed. Knowing the consumer base's opinion on matters can help make an informed decision to be sure, but it should not be the deciding factor in most situations.
11 Draenei Mage
I never said it wasn't part of the decision making process, just that you can't make decisions entirely based on surveys.

Knowing the consumer base's opinion on matters can help make an informed decision to be sure, but it should not be the deciding factor in most situations.

Like I said it's PART of an informed decision, but absolutely should not be the deciding factor in most cases.

Of course most people are going to whine about something being removed - that does not mean it was not a wise choice for the game as a whole and it also does not mean Blizzard did not know most of the player base would be against said decision.
Edited by Zendra on 1/28/2011 12:23 PM PST
89 Tauren Hunter
01/28/2011 11:47 AMPosted by Sváfa
I hope our use of the mage portals, on each side of the large Dark Portal, is relatively new. I say that because I didn't realize, until last week, that I could use them to get back to a major city. I'm hoping, for the sake of not feeling too stupid, that they have only been functional since Cata lol.
They have only been made usable recently. The portals have been there since BC, but were only a decoration as an "exit" for the constant waves of NPC combatants. They were made usable by players when 4.0 hit live.

Buh? This is incorrect. I clearly remember using them last summer during the fire festival and when leveling this toon through Outland.
I don't look at the outands as a means of just questing, same go for Northrend. I look at it as a way to make money. There are still people leveling toons through the zones and many people don't want to waste the time or are to lazy to level a profession there. This is a great opportunity to make money, but having to get a port from a mage or having to do a circlejerk to get to the zones is rather a pain in the butt now.

Northrend is not so bad, in that, there are still zeps to either Borean or HF. Even though the content is old and outdated in Outlands there should be a better way to make it easier to get there. Having to pay a mage or go through the Dark Portal are either costly or very inconvenient. That being said, I deal with it now, but should not have too.

Another thing, Blizzard said, they were taking the portals out so everyone could solely concentrate on the new content. Well had there been a enough content to concentrate on once you got to 85, there would be not be so many going back and doing guild or personal achievements and what not through these old zones. I know I have at least 5 alts I am still trying to get a Netherwing or are still going back through these zones to get Loremaster title on.

Now I know not everyone is going to do this, but I am in 4 different guilds on my newly transferred to server. I did this to get the pulse of what each guild achievements each was going to concentrate on. Overwhelming it seems we are going back and doing way more old content than the new stuff. Not only for the achievements, but because there is just not enough new content to satisfy an everyday of the week population in the guild. Hence for my reason for not having the portals removed in the first place.

There are so many things that leave this xpac, feel so short sited on Blizzards part, many of which don’t belong in this thread, so I won’t even go into them here. I believe this xpac was hurried for the purpose of keeping many of us from not leaving the game because it was starting to get stale for many. Though it seems Blizzard made it feel even staler by only doing 5 levels instead of 10 we got in the previous 2 zones.
Edited by Balthasarz on 1/28/2011 12:49 PM PST
82 Worgen Priest
To solve the portal issue in Outland:

1. Bind yourself to a major city.
2. Hearth out of Outland when you need/want to.
3. Take the Blasted Lands portal (in major cities) to get back to Outland.
4. Fly back to the area you were at.

Seriously.

Stop being whiners about issues with easy solutions.
Edited by Enuris on 1/28/2011 12:49 PM PST
01/28/2011 12:48 PMPosted by Enuris
To solve the portal issue in Outland:

1. Bind yourself to a major city.
2. Hearth out of Outland when you need/want to.
3. Take the Blasted Lands portal (in major cities) to get back to Outland.
4. Fly back to the area you were at.

Seriously.

Stop being whiners about issues with easy solutions.

Problem in the Outland, there is only one major city. Taking the portal to the Blasted Land is a complete waste of time, if your trying to get somewhere other than Helfire. Shattrath is the central location for the Oultand now which should have a portal from any of the major Azeroth cities. Many people not only go to the Outland to farm, but now seem to be finding themselves completing guild achievements or even personal achievements. Not sure about your guild, but the 4 I am in do more old content raids and dungeons now than they did in the past. Hence why the poratl to Shattrath and Dalaran should still exist from at least one major city in Azeroth.

Another thing to consider is all the holiday stuff we have to do too. Now not all of them require us to go to the outlands, but many of them require us to go to Northrend. If they want us not go go back to these places, then they should remove these pieces of the achievements from the game.

I have a mage and frankly I am getting rather tired of having to port someone every time I show up in a city to do a daily or something else. If I was going to have to do some much porting Blizzard should have least removed having to use reagents. I find myself having to waste bag space to port everyones butt around the world. Also, most people don't even have the decency to give a tip without having to ask for one. I have gotten to the point I have to demand a tip up front before I even pop a portal now, I find that very sad I have to do that now.
Edited by Balthasarz on 1/28/2011 1:11 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]