Outland Inconvenience

(Locked)

01/28/2011 11:53 AMPosted by Westfire
I haven't read this whole thread so it may have been mentioned already but upon exploring outland the other day I found a port to orgrimmar out by the dark portal on outland side.

I don't think those are usable, unless that's changed too.

I hearth in UC, hit the orb to get to SMC. Hit Blasted Land port in Magic Quarter then Dark Portal then Org port to visit Kalimdor. For trips to Dalaran, I use my AT Tabard. But! My BElf hunter with Aldor rep could not use any of Dalaran AH NPCs in early Jan, all the Dalaran AH NPCs were hostile to her.
85 Undead Warlock
You can buy a Kirin Tor ring for a free port to Dalaran.
And finish the Ashsworn questline for a free port to Outland.
If you are an engineer there are all sorts of ports that you can make and if you're an Scribe you can always use a low level teleport scroll to go back to azeroth (where you end up is anyone's guess)
Also there is a portal from both Shatt and Dalaran to the Caverns of time and a portal from Sholazar Basin to/from Un'goro Crater and a portal from Shatt to the Sunwell Area.
Edited by Konradkoln on 1/28/2011 1:21 PM PST
I have a mage and frankly I am getting rather tired of having to port someone every time I show up in a city to do a daily or something else. If I was going to have to do some much porting Blizzard should have least removed having to use reagents. I find myself having to waste bag space to port everyones butt around the world. Also, most people don't even have the decency to give a tip without having to ask for one. I have gotten to the point I have to demand a tip up front before I even pop a portal now, I find that very sad I have to do that now.
You don't have to port anyone. If you don't want to or are busy with something else, don't.

Well that is easy for you to say being a DK. I frankly am not that type of person to leave someone stranded in Dal with one one else to get them out of there. I am really not trying to QQ about this, but frankly I am getting tired of doing Blizzards job for them, because they are to lazy to program a portal to either Shattrath or Dal from Org or Stormwind.
Edited by Balthasarz on 1/28/2011 1:24 PM PST
Community Manager
There are class trainers and auction houses in Shattrath now.

(Dalaran too)

That's nice that trainers and auction houses are in those cities now, as they should have been all along; but that presupposes that the primary reason players used portals was for those two things, when that is not the case.

Listen here city slicker, ridin' into town with yer silver tongue ready to make ginger water flow from the wells! I reckon you got them words from the back of a soap box cause I ain't never herd them afore, and I ain't never seen soap neither! HEE HEEEE!!

01/28/2011 12:02 PMPosted by Arcamedes
I have said it elsewhere and will say it here as well: removing the portals was not a wise decision because it disregarded how game flow is being utilized by a significant portion of the vast variety of players, and especially players who frequently farm for herbs, skins and ore that are not available in other places.

That's not a bad thing. We should have portals so people who want to farm up materials can do so more easily? No, that's ok.

It doesn't even take into account that some opt to switch crafts, which are now even more time consuming than ever because of the convenience having been taken away, and how I'm not likely to help someone lower in level when getting there is arduous.

I don't understand your meaning. So you're 85 and decide to drop something and pick up herbing. You herb up to skill level with the Azeroth 1-60 areas, head into outland and herb there, fly out and head up to Northrend, herb there, then hit Stormwind/Org for portals to Cataclysm areas.

Are you saying the single flight to the dark portal, and then the single flight back out to a boat ride to Northrend is arduous?

What's more, nothing prevents anyone who wants to from taking the "scenic" route if they wish to do so; but when this impedes many others ---for no justifiable reason when considered in its proper context--- it does nothing to reinforce what used to be reasonable and fun.

I may not be a smart man but... wuh?

Now we have lag-choked cities and nearly empty ones, an unequal compromise and sad situation, to say the least.

*Now* we do? That has always been the case sir.
Edited by Bashiok on 1/28/2011 1:38 PM PST
Community Manager
01/28/2011 1:24 PMPosted by Arcamedes
There were only two reasons for leaving Dalaran in WotLK: to visit the auction house or a trainer.

Sorry. That statement is patently false, and an absolutist view that discounts other legitimate reasons, which are many. By a single example, farming, it destroys that argument, and that is besides the point that the decision to remove portals hasn't improved a thing worth mentioning.

I also spent many hours exploring, and distinctly remember running into other players throughout Azeroth then, which are now almost completely dead since the change took place. That's not an accident, and probably one of the many contributing factors that have chased some away.

Lastly, should Blizzard pride itself on making sour what many thought was sweet? If that's how they rationalize changes, then they're in deeper than I thought....

I like reading the things you write. You've got brass ones, I will give you that. Most people that want portals don't actually come out and mention that they want them back for farming. So far your justifications for what made them great beyond instant travel to make you lots of money have been loosely based on personal experience or assumptions. I don't much find a stable beam within them on which to stand.

I will give you credit for keeping the hope alive brother! Keep it alive. Keep fighting the good fight.
Edited by Bashiok on 1/28/2011 1:43 PM PST
85 Human Paladin
"we don't want it to be easier to farm" is just as stupid a reason to take portals OUT as "I want portals to farm" is as a reason to put portals IN

if you're doing it deliberately to make the game more of a pain in the ass say so, so we can make our own decisions about what (if anything) to do about it. don't be cutesy about it, and don't pretend that wanting to farm is a bad reason to want portals.

i want portals back so i can easily get from one city to the next for various reasons including e.g. world events, going through old instances, etc. it's a pain to get from one continent to another without portals, don't try to pretend it isn't. we had access to much faster transport for two expansions and now we don't any longer. quite frankly i'm sick of boats and i think they're a stupid way to handle transition between zones. you want to know the reason why everyone loved captain placeholder? because waiting for boats was then and is now a pointless timewaster, just like meandering gryphon paths. you've removed meandering gryphon paths to a certain extent with the introduction of old-world flying but you've regressed and stuck us with boats again.
Edited by Xukuth on 1/28/2011 1:53 PM PST
85 Human Paladin
Don't worry, next time you level through old world will be infinitely worse, as you're led by the nose everywhere, have no choice in anything you do within a zone, find absolutely no challenge even on brand new servers, and ultimately wind up feeling like a spectator to the story rather than a participant.
10 Tauren Paladin
01/28/2011 1:36 PMPosted by Bashiok

That's nice that trainers and auction houses are in those cities now, as they should have been all along; but that presupposes that the primary reason players used portals was for those two things, when that is not the case.

Listen here city slicker, ridin' into town with yer silver tongue ready to make ginger water flow from the wells! I reckon you got them words from the back of a soap box cause I ain't never herd them afore, and I ain't never seen soap neither! HEE HEEEE!!

<3

I have said it elsewhere and will say it here as well: removing the portals was not a wise decision because it disregarded how game flow is being utilized by a significant portion of the vast variety of players, and especially players who frequently farm for herbs, skins and ore that are not available in other places.

That's not a bad thing. We should have portals so people who want to farm up materials can do so more easily? No, that's ok.

It's quite possible to get around the inconvenience factor by mailing your stuff to a bank alt, or by paying an additional monthly fee for WoW Remote. Making changes to discourage doing it the old-fashioned way without mules or extra fees isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not necessarily a good thing either.

It doesn't even take into account that some opt to switch crafts, which are now even more time consuming than ever because of the convenience having been taken away, and how I'm not likely to help someone lower in level when getting there is arduous.

I don't understand your meaning. So you're 85 and decide to drop something and pick up herbing. You herb up to skill level with the Azeroth 1-60 areas, head into outland and herb there, fly out and head up to Northrend, herb there, then hit Stormwind/Org for portals to Cataclysm areas.

Are you saying the single flight to the dark portal, and then the single flight back out to a boat ride to Northrend is arduous?

You're assuming people will grind this out in one long play session instead of gradually over time, while keeping up with dailies and the other activities of a level 85. It's not arduous, but there is additional travel time associated with running back and forth between areas that the portals used to help mitigate, but don't anymore.

What's more, nothing prevents anyone who wants to from taking the "scenic" route if they wish to do so; but when this impedes many others ---for no justifiable reason when considered in its proper context--- it does nothing to reinforce what used to be reasonable and fun.

I may not be a smart man but... wuh?

I don't really think portal removal was intended this way, but... in my opinion, it's unethical to demand that other players be negatively affected to enhance your own play experience. There were other reasons for removing portals, but at least to some degree it was seen as the demands of some players for "immersion" negatively affecting the ability of other players to travel around the world of Warcraft.

Now we have lag-choked cities and nearly empty ones, an unequal compromise and sad situation, to say the least.

*Now* we do? That has always been the case sir.

One of the selling points of portal removal was to get people out of Dalaran. It worked, but those people all moved to Stormwind and Orgrimmar instead. For people who were expecting it to revitalize the other capital cities or get people out in the world, it didn't really work out the way they were expecting.
Community Manager
Portals existed to give people access back to capital cities to reach auction houses and class trainers. Auction houses and class trainers were kept in the old world capitals because we knew that if we didn't require people to go back the old world would be a ghost town.

Those portals had a few fun side effects like letting people warp all around the world toot-sweet at the shake of a nose to do anything they felt like. This was not the intent of the portals and regardless if people enjoyed being able to zip around, it is not the intent of our travel as it exists now to allow them to do so.

Now that the old world capitals are the major hubs in the current expansion, the expansion zones are in Azeroth which keeps more people around, and we've decided to add trainers and auction houses to Shattrath and Dalaran to aid in the leveling experience, the portals no longer serve their original purpose and were removed.

01/28/2011 1:46 PMPosted by Xukuth
"we don't want it to be easier to farm" is just as stupid a reason to take portals OUT as "I want portals to farm" is as a reason to put portals IN

if you're doing it deliberately to make the game more of a pain in the ass say so, so we can make our own decisions about what (if anything) to do about it. don't be cutesy about it, and don't pretend that wanting to farm is a bad reason to want portals.
Edited by Bashiok on 1/28/2011 1:57 PM PST
82 Tauren Paladin
Guilds are suppose to be a big part of this expansion. I realize that there are not alot of group quests in Outlands that cannot be soloed but having the portals would actually speed up the process of being able to help guildies. If someone asked in guild chat for help in Outlands, how many people do you think volunteer to take at least 20 mins of just travel time to get there and back?

I'm not in a guild now but have had people ask me to help them in Outlands when I was in a guild and I could not since I was only playing for 30 or 45 mins in that session. If the portals were there I could have easily went to Nagrand and helped kill Grull (I believe it was him).
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]