Shadow PvP: Warlords Season 16

(Sticky)

Last Update: 03 JANUARY 2015.
EDITING IN PROGRESS. Please be patient.

-This Guide consists of Posts #1 and #2.
-All 6.0.3 Primal (Lv100) discussions begin at post #390 on Page 20.
-No idea why my avatar's picture, level and achievement points are out of date.
-This guide is meant for general PvP and is not tailored for any one RBG/Arena and team composition.

This guide should offer the path to the best gearing and enchanting based on several different resources. However some of the information can be subjective, therefore your input is ALWAYS appreciated!

This updated guide uses Primal iLv660 PvP gear.

Additional Guides and AddOns
All Priest Guides/Forums: www.howtopriest.com
Battleground Targets: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/battlegroundtargets
New Haste Methodology for DoTs/HoTs:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/13423478/warlords-of-draenor%E2%84%A2-alpha-patch-notes-04-17-2014-4-18-2014#periodic_effects

Recent Changes within this Guide
- Mastery has become incredibly powerful with our new Mastery, Mental Anguish.
- Gems and Reforging no longer exist for PvP Gear.
- Haste Breakpoints no longer exist. (Explained below)
- PvP Gear scales in Item-Level upwards now.
----- Keep in mind the stats you see out of PvP combat/zones will be lower.
---------- This also includes the links in this guide or on websites like "wowhead".
--------------- Please see image for differences: http://i.imgur.com/TFIAhti.png

Visual view of what this guide contains.
NEEDS TO BE ADDED

Stat Priority
1) Intellect (1 Int = 1.66 Spell Power)
2) Haste (100 Rating = 1%) (Still calculating haste breakpoints)
3) Mastery (44 Rating = 1%)
4) Critical Strike (110 Rating = 1%)
5) Multistrike (66 Rating = 1%)
6) Versatility
----------Damage/Healing: 129 Rating = 1%
----------Damage Reduction: 258 Rating = 1%

Itemizing using 100% PVP Gear:

One Piece (Off Set)
Primal Gladiator's Robes of Prowess

Four Piece Satin (For Set Bonus)
Primal Gladiator's Satin Hood
Primal Gladiator's Satin Mantle
Primal Gladiator's Satin Gloves
Primal Gladiator's Satin Leggings

Weapons:
Primal Gladiator's Battle Staff enchant Enchant Weapon - Mark of Warsong

Off Set Armors
Neck: Primal Gladiator's Pendant of Prowess enchant Enchant Neck - Gift of Haste
Cloak: Primal Gladiator's Drape of Prowess enchant Enchant Cloak - Gift of Haste
Bracer: Primal Gladiator's Cuffs of Prowess
Belt: Primal Gladiator's Cord of Cruelty
Boots: Primal Gladiator's Treads of Cruelty
Ring 1: Primal Gladiator's Band of Cruelty enchant Enchant Ring - Gift of Haste
Ring 2: Primal Gladiator's Band of Prowess enchant Enchant Ring - Gift of Haste

Trinket 1: Primal Gladiator's Insignia of Dominance
Trinket 2: Primal Gladiator's Badge of Dominance
Trinket 3: Primal Gladiator's Medallion of Cruelty
(Humans will use the DPS trinkets as they do not need the CC breaker trinket.)
(The choice to not use a CC breaker trinket as a non human is up to your discretion.)

Popular Major Glyphs
- Glyph of Mass Dispel, Glyph of Psychic Horror, and Glyph of Silence.

The three above are usually the most popular for your common PvP situations.
It is always important to always change your Glyphs when you enter a BG, RBG, or Arena based on what the opposing team has, plus what your team makeup is.
For example if you are in an arena in which the opposing team does not have a Paladin or Mage, you will not need Glyph of Mass Dispel.

Subjective Recommendations:
Before discussing Talent choices, I'd like to point out a few things.

Our Lv100 talent [Clarity of Power] focuses on direct damage without the use of our DoT's. Our Mastery no longer affects our DoT's and only affects Mind Blast, Mind Spike, and Mind Flay; two of which are the primary rotation for a CoP build. In my opinion a CoP build is the way to go in both Arenas and RBGs, regardless of the unique factors such as team/enemy composition. When we factor is Mastery to this, it is that much more appealing.

I am certain there are situations in which a DoT build using SI and AS would be a better choice, I just haven't encountered them yet. So keep in mind what I said in the beginning, this guide is very generic and not iron clad. You must make the best choices based off what you know and the situation.
Edited by Merrik on 1/11/2015 8:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
(EDITING IN PROGRESS)

No More Haste Breakpoints
In the past we had to achieve certain Haste values to compress our DoTs closer to one another and add additional DoT tiks; simplified certain values equaled more DoTs. When Warlords of Draenor was released that method was removed.

A great explanation is listed below in italics, taken from a Resto Druid board:

Now, if your haste rating lands you part way between two haste breakpoints, you get the benefit as a % of extra tick. So, if you are exactly half way between your 5th and 6th whole tick, your 6th tick will happen halfway between the 5th and when the 6th should be, and do 50% of the healing of what the 6th should be, where the 6th tick were a whole tick. That means that whether you are at 1% haste, 7.9% haste or 12.31% haste, the same amount of haste will grant the same benefit for your ticks as before.
Credit:
http://sometimesatree.signaleleven.net/resto-druid-guides/warlords-draenor-haste-breakpoints-resto-druids/

So what about Haste and our Stat Priority?
Various websites list different stat-priorities ordering for each Lv100 talent choice and often these are meant for PvE.

Furthermore even when accurate theorycrafting is calculated, it is difficult to factor in Haste.
But why?
The faster we cast the less of a chance we have to have that cast interrupted.
Therefor we all must keep this in mind and makes this topic subjective. But it is hard to argue a stat like Mastery is better than Haste (up to GCD cap) if you are continually kept from casting. All the Mastery in the world means nothing if you cannot cast. And to be able to "machine gun" off Mind Spikes does a massive amount of damage.

As you saw above, I stressed the importance of Haste over any other secondary stat for the reason of "anti interruption".

Lv100 Talent Choices for PvP
Clarity of Power is the #1 PVP Talent choice for a Shadow Priest in every Arena bracket and RBG. It allows us to get off instant Mind Blasts which allows us Shadow Orbs for Devouring Plague and Psychic Horror; amongst other great things.

Some people think that at first glance this is a single target burst build, and it can be. But if you are in a group fight (RBG) do not forget to multi DoT your off targets if the situation allows. The SWP and VT will offer more spread pressure on enemy healers and offer some mild DoT protection for your teammates via the horrify effect of dispelling a VT.

<MORE TO COME>

Merrik, Hero of the Horde
    High Warlord, The Bloodthirsty, Lord of War
    Conqueror, Battlemaster, Khan, Gorgeous
    Warbringer,Original Rank 13 Warlord
    Shadow since Beta, 10+ Years
Edited by Merrik on 1/3/2015 4:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
2/2 Twisted Faith is actually a relatively prominent choice among top PvP shadow priests. Aside from the obvious 1/1 Spi-Hit conversion and the added OOC regen, many consider it superior to improved mind blast. I personally prefer the added 2% shadow damage over imp MB which, in its current comparatively low-damage state, is very mediocre. Come the patch, this may change, but I don't find myself counting down the seconds on my MB cooldown like I did in wrath.

Aside from that, great guide. You might include the desired 4% hit cap in your early itemization as I see a lot of people requesting information on that in the forums at times.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks

Would be good if we could get a comprehensive shadow PvP guide stickied, not sure if they do that for PvP though, and it'd mean you'd have to write alot more on other basic pvp things ( consider it plz :p )
Reply Quote

2/2 Twisted Faith is actually a relatively prominent choice among top PvP shadow priests. Aside from the obvious 1/1 Spi-Hit conversion and the added OOC regen, many consider it superior to improved mind blast. I personally prefer the added 2% shadow damage over imp MB which, in its current comparatively low-damage state, is very mediocre. Come the patch, this may change, but I don't find myself counting down the seconds on my MB cooldown like I did in wrath.

Aside from that, great guide. You might include the desired 4% hit cap in your early itemization as I see a lot of people requesting information on that in the forums at times.

Thanks for your input! I can see how a flat 2% would prove useful, I just believed a quick CD MB that can maintain a Heal Debuff would be more useful.

At the very least, I will admit my being jaded as I really only play Rated BGs these days and that may be why I leaned more towards my choice. By having great input like, it will negate my subjectivity.

Awesome post. Voted for sticky and all that stuff.

Some thoughts:
  • From what I can see, most priests do take Twisted Faith.
  • The only time 240 spell penetration is necessary is against mages with a paladin resistance aura. I don't see that very often and feel perfectly fine at 201 (the cloak without the enchant or any gems), but I also only play arena.

Dusknoir, glad to see ya'.

Can you elaborate the choice to take 2/2 [Twisted Faith]? Besides the obvious +2% percent damage, is there itemization difference that allows us to tighten our stats closer, OOC Regen or just a more static way to keep constant DPS compared to having those points elsewhere?

As for the Spell Pen, I wasn't going to go into detail but I figured the extra effort might help explain the "bare minimum" +195 and the common +240 Mage. People could then have a better understanding and make their choice. I mainly do Rated BGs myself.

I will go adjust a few thing right now as well as add Weapons to the list. Thanks for your input!
Edited by Merrik on 1/29/2011 6:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Very good read, Merrik!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
Good read.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Good guide.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
01/28/2011 11:36 PMPosted by Merrik
If you do not have +195 Spell Penetration (Arenas) or +240 Spell Penetration (RBGs), your Shadow spells' damage can be reduced dramatically.

That is interesting. Normally I forget Spell Penetration and wonder why my damage is also tanking when trying to kill other players sometimes, aside from the constant "resist, resist, resist"

-----------------------------------------------

High Damage vs. Survival, is there a magic percentage or amount of resilience where you would notice yourself staying alive much longer through one or two people?
For Example: Could after reaching a certain amount of resilience gem int perhaps?
I myself would prefer the Survival route because I hate dying more than anything but just curious.

As for Twisted Fate with the Twin Disciplines thats an excellent 8% increase. Aside from that it gives me more room to play with gems as well instead of always having to worry about reaching a hit cap. Granted I pvp with some PvE gear because my main spec is Holy PvE and there is spirit all over it, I haven't completely grinded out my entire PvP set for shadow yet but it sure does feel nice not worrying about hit at all.
Reply Quote
01/29/2011 10:34 PMPosted by Kreecher
If you do not have +195 Spell Penetration (Arenas) or +240 Spell Penetration (RBGs), your Shadow spells' damage can be reduced dramatically.

That is interesting. Normally I forget Spell Penetration and wonder why my damage is also tanking when trying to kill other players sometimes, aside from the constant "resist, resist, resist"

-----------------------------------------------

High Damage vs. Survival, is there a magic percentage or amount of resilience where you would notice yourself staying alive much longer through one or two people?
For Example: Could after reaching a certain amount of resilience gem int perhaps?
I myself would prefer the Survival route because I hate dying more than anything but just curious.

As for Twisted Fate with the Twin Disciplines thats an excellent 8% increase. Aside from that it gives me more room to play with gems as well instead of always having to worry about reaching a hit cap. Granted I pvp with some PvE gear because my main spec is Holy PvE and there is spirit all over it, I haven't completely grinded out my entire PvP set for shadow yet but it sure does feel nice not worrying about hit at all.

To answer your first question, those "Gem Specs" I listed are a foundation for the individual to build off of. How to Gem in Arenas and RBGs can vary as Dusknoir possibly insinuated. But there is a solid truth to it. You can build off of those specs for your own play style too, which is also what they can be used for. I'm personally sitting at 4130 Resilience and loving it.

As for the [Twisted Faith], it can give you more breathing room to itemize, but only slightly. When I began building my set before purchasing any item, I first figured out which items would get me as close as possible to Hit, the SPen. After that, I chose all the Haste items and built around that. Anything Crit or Mastery I was left with was to be reforged.

I don't use [Twisted Faith], I'm mainly a RBG'er. My mentality s staying alive as long as possible (situational speaking) versus being able to burn someone down. And when I do worry about burning someone down, I have the help of my team. But that doesn't make me right or wrong. Come next patch when [Mind Blast] damage is substantially increased, people may shift their points back into [Improved Mind Blast] to cast it more often.
Reply Quote
Nice read, but you'll never make me competent at pvp. Also, voted for sticky.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
no mention of the possibility of 4/5 mooncloth for the new 4p bonus?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
You mention the both a high damage spec and survivability spec. Could you provide a link for each?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Sticky this naow! Very nice and complete guide.
Reply Quote
01/31/2011 7:51 PMPosted by Adetitte
You mention the both a high damage spec and survivability spec. Could you provide a link for each?

By "spec" I meant "Gemming spec". I'm not happy with my current spec. I have Apparitions but I'm unsure I like them for RBGs. I'm still sorting through Recount numbers.

I'll get back to you soon though once I research more Arena folks.
Edited by Merrik on 2/1/2011 9:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
+40 resi on chest really worth giving up +20 all stats?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
You should also provide a list for when double 2pc bonus is being nerfed. Which is when shadow is going to favor 4pc mooncloth instead of satin. Since we will force to take a piece of spirit gear (spirit-hit) we can remove a piece of hit off-piece :)
Reply Quote
02/01/2011 4:44 PMPosted by Extrameaty
+40 resi on chest really worth giving up +20 all stats?

The preferred method is +40 Resilience Chest for flat damage reduction versus 200 HP coupled with 20 Int / 20 Spi.

02/01/2011 5:07 PMPosted by Annasthesia
You should also provide a list for when double 2pc bonus is being nerfed. Which is when shadow is going to favor 4pc mooncloth instead of satin. Since we will force to take a piece of spirit gear (spirit-hit) we can remove a piece of hit off-piece :)

My "Double Dipping" discussion will be reworded for clarity. I tried to say that, lol.

Also I don't want to discuss the 4-Piece Mooncloth Bonus until it goes live as it may confuse new players. Wish they would put that on the Satin pieces.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]