Phasing ..a huge mistake

The Phasing used in Icecrown and transfered to the new Cataclysm zones is a terrible idea . Once through the quests in an area a player is no longer able to aid guild members who haven't done those quests yet. This forces members to look outside the guild for help and is another negative impact on guilds. I for one find it very frustrating as a guild leader not to be able to come to the aid of our members. I don't know what the reasoning is behind this system but I certainly would appreciate Blizzard's removing phasing from these zones.

Reply Quote
65 Draenei Shaman
There aren't very many quests that you have to have somebody else with you to complete anymore.

I enjoy phasing, It makes me feel like what I do has a real effect in Azeroth. I feel more intertwined with the story.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I agree. I understand that phasing allows an area to appear different to a certain player or players like appearing to be under attack, on fire etc..but it's not worth the trade off of not being able to help out a friend or guild member. I'll take social interaction over flash.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Phasing is good story-wise and and for immersion IMO, but maybe they should add an option to synch with the phase a party member is on if that party member is on an earlier phase of an area. After you disband you return to your later phase.
Edited by Alscest on 1/31/2011 5:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
28 Orc Warlock
What on Earth do you need help with in Cata zones?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
01/31/2011 5:20 PMPosted by Samfisher
What on Earth do you need help with in Cata zones?

Well, the Grim Batol digsite was made annoying by phasing.
Reply Quote
10 Dwarf Paladin
01/31/2011 5:12 PMPosted by Rommel
There aren't very many quests that you have to have somebody else with you to complete anymore.

Aye, thinking hard I really can't come up with a quest that isn't easily solo-able besides the Crucible of Carnage, and that's not affected by phasing.

Well, maybe some of the quests in the Maw, but those you have NPC help and buffs, so that's kinda moot.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Phasing was an excellent idea, and the only change I see that would improve it is if all party members are in the leader's phase. Then people could assist each other with quests while still gaining the benefits of phasing.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
01/31/2011 6:19 PMPosted by Luckysocks
Only thing I hate about phasing is landing next to a damn block of pyrite and poof! It's gone.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
People say omg omg star wars is going to have such a good story which is why i will quit how for that, and then when wow adds features that let them tell stories better, people complain!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I like the way quests used phasing but I have 2 problems with it:

1) When hunting for mining nodes they sometimes show up on the mini map but are "un-mine-able" because of being phased out.

B) When flying by quest objectives (or gather points) sometimes they won't "appear" until you double back, sometimes twice

4) Can't go back to old phases to help a player or even simply show them where something is
Reply Quote
23 Orc Shaman
Phasing is a great idea. Not sure what quests you would ever need help on, so that shouldnt really be an issue.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Druid
My face when a pyrite node is unobtainable. Actually, any node for that matter. First times I ran into phased nodes, I ran in circles for hours trying to figure out where it was.

I love the phases otherwise. Totally awesome.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
01/31/2011 5:12 PMPosted by Rommel

I enjoy phasing, It makes me feel like what I do has a real effect in Azeroth. I feel more intertwined with the story.

^^^ i completely agree
Reply Quote
10 Dwarf Paladin
01/31/2011 6:30 PMPosted by Pugmaster

my hunter is a gatherer and i dont know whether to quest him in areas or not. am i going to miss out on more nodes after questing or before?

flying down to pick an herb only for it to disappear as you get closer absolutely totally fails period.

Well, in the case of Hyjal, there isn't much of a problem. The final phase for areas will change some of the nodes (particularly in the Inferno or whatever it is near the Shrine of Malorne) from Cinderbloom to Stormvine, but I haven't noticed any particular drop in herb (or ore) nodes in the area due to phasing. If anything, I like farming in the phased area because once you heal the Inferno and it becomes the Regrowth, there are no more hostile mobs there to contend with.

In truth, the only times I ever have trouble with an herb on the edge of a phase are in Uldum. I haven't noticed any real problems in other zones. Same with mining nodes (well, a few mining nodes in Twilight Highlands are susceptible to this too).

I do understand that husband's annoyance, though I think that's not that big a deal enough to cancel one's own account. There are zones afterwards he could quest with his wife with afterwards. But to each their own. I do recall Blizzard talking some time ago about trying to work in an ability to pull someone to your phase for a time. So that may happen in the future. But phasing itself is here to stay, as it does allow for Blizzard to progress some stories and move areas along.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]