Phasing ..a huge mistake

(Locked)

100 Dwarf Hunter
This is an MMO.
Blizzard decided in their wisdom to remove the second M from 1 to 85.
Coupled with ridiculously fast leveling and retch inducing linearity I think it will come back to bite them in the butt. Thee single worst business decision for an MMO long term I can think of IMO.
It's suppose to be a world you can explore as you want, at least it's suppose to give that illusion anyhow. Vanilla had at least 3-4 options to level as you progressed.
And for all you "But you can go back and get "ACHIEVEMENTS" sorry, god mode achievements are not fun in my book, something gained by zero challenge is hardly an "achievement". And leveling speed so bloody fast that it's semi-god mode 1/3 of the way through a zone is no fun either.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I have to agree with some of the sentiment here, I love phasing, makes me feel like I have effected the game world. For my money, the best zone for this is Mount Hyjal. Just awesome!
90 Night Elf Death Knight
To all the 'you play together' you still do as you level, its called dungeons. Also I have levelled in the 'new old world' with my GF and flat mates, been fine. And most of the zones have self contained stories now, which I think is awesome, better then 'go here kill 10 moose come back' now ' go there kill 10 spiders come back'. I feel like a hero when I play, I am after story from my games, and it has been delivered to me in an MMO format, which I personally think is and awesome achievement.
85 Human Rogue
Personally, I do think it's worth canceling an account over. What's the point in playing a game if you have to wait an hour before you get into and instance to play with friends or family? This is a MMO. Not friggin solitaire!!!!!! I seriously hate Blizzard this this crap. WTB vanilla server with 1.4 on it.
90 Human Paladin
And for all you "But you can go back and get "ACHIEVEMENTS" sorry, god mode achievements are not fun in my book, something gained by zero challenge is hardly an "achievement". And leveling speed so bloody fast that it's semi-god mode 1/3 of the way through a zone is no fun either.

taking a long time doesn't equate to difficulty. Sorry, but going around Azeroth doing quests that involved killing 10 boars or finding item x, only to see that you were having 0 impact on the world, was kind of boring imo.

Phasing, especially in Cataclysm added some great RPG dynamics to the world. I loved what they did to Westfall, for example, it made what was a fairly dull zone into a quest chain that I actually wanted to see the end of.

What's the point in playing a game if you have to wait an hour before you get into and instance to play with friends or family?

Uh, why would you need to wait an hour to do a 5-man with friends and family? If you have 5 people already set up, the queue should be instant.
Edited by Kurnea on 3/11/2011 1:42 PM PST
90 Tauren Death Knight
OP, your complaint has a grain of "burning the house down to bake the turkey."

Phasing is an awesome concept. It has some minor flaws that could be fixed (disappearing herb/ore nodes). It has some negatives that cannot be fixed (no help from 85s on level 40 quests). But, the negatives don't come close to cancelling out the awesomeness.
74 Night Elf Rogue
My mage has quests she needs to turn in but can't due to phasin. I turned 1 or 2 quests out of sequence I guess, all I know is, is that npc is no longer there.
90 Tauren Priest
The phasing is cool from the lore side. I've done every single quest in Hyjal, Deepholm, Uldum and Twilight Highlands (working on Vashj'ir now). It does get annoying when I want to go and help a friend or guildy with an old quest that I'm now phased from :/
85 Night Elf Mage
01/31/2011 5:10 PMPosted by Anord
The Phasing used in Icecrown and transfered to the new Cataclysm zones is a terrible idea . Once through the quests in an area a player is no longer able to aid guild members who haven't done those quests yet. This forces members to look outside the guild for help and is another negative impact on guilds. I for one find it very frustrating as a guild leader not to be able to come to the aid of our members. I don't know what the reasoning is behind this system but I certainly would appreciate Blizzard's removing phasing from these zones.

In my personal experience, doing all of the quests in new zones, I don't recall a time that I was unable to handle any situation by myself. While I understand and sympathize with your predicament, I have to ask, what sort of quest was your guildmate on that was difficult to solo?

I really enjoyed the phasing mechanic because I felt I was making a difference as I quested. The light rain and new life growing across the previously charred Hyjal landscape put a warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart.
85 Night Elf Mage
03/11/2011 1:48 PMPosted by Suwannee
My mage has quests she needs to turn in but can't due to phasin. I turned 1 or 2 quests out of sequence I guess, all I know is, is that npc is no longer there.

I'd recommend making a GM ticket about this problem. I'm sure they can help you.
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm not that much of a role player, but I do enjoy phasing. I don't like it when you kill a difficult boss that was just plain evil then you fly back over the place later to find the same boss walking around on top of his body from when you killed him. Maybe this feature should be optional?
Community Manager
01/31/2011 5:12 PMPosted by Rommel
There aren't very many quests that you have to have somebody else with you to complete anymore.

This is the sort of philosophy we're going for with phasing, as we do feel it's an important tool for storytelling. We do recognize issues where we've "over-phased" zones in the past though, and we generally tried to take a more minimal approach to phasing in Cataclysm. While there is still a good deal of phasing involved in many of the zones, we tried to make each phase a little more intricate and less intrusive on group gameplay. We want to make sure that, in times when a group is required, phasing doesn't hold you back from grouping with friends.

I said a variant of "phase" in every sentence. You're welcome. :p

*cough* phase *cough*
85 Dwarf Paladin
I can only think of like...2 quests in the 80-85 zones that might actually need more than one person.

The secret black dragon quest in Uldum

The arena quests in TH.
Community Manager
Can something be done about the phased ore/herbs please?

Such a tease, Blizzard.

It is an issue we're aware of and having been looking into. We've applied a number of hotfixes to phased gathering nodes since the release of Cataclysm, but this one is still there and is certainly a bugger.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]