Phasing ..a huge mistake

11 Human Warrior
03/11/2011 2:41 PMPosted by Zarhym
We do recognize issues where we've "over-phased" zones in the past though, and we generally tried to take a more minimal approach to phasing in Cataclysm.

I'm very surprised to read this.

This is the first time I've actually noticed phasing, and I noticed it at almost every step of the way up to 85 (from 80).

How exactly is that minimal?
Edited by Khrix on 3/11/2011 2:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
03/11/2011 2:45 PMPosted by Shargaas
Right on. Respond to legitimate customer concerns with jokes. Guess what, nothing is funny coming from you people anymore.

I'll be sure to check my personality at the door when discussing a game? Stay on topic. There's an email address for leaving feedback regarding Blizzard interaction on, and management of, the forums: WoWCMFeedback@Blizzard.com
Edited by Zarhym on 3/11/2011 5:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest

^^^ i completely agree

So you believe that couples who run together shouldn't be allowed? An interesting perspective -- I disagree.

If you want immersion, then perhaps you may want to consider reading a book.... something you can do alone. This is an MMO -- questing shouldn't be bugged like this.

If they're running together, they'll already be in the same phase together, as they will be together every step of the way.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
12 Troll Shaman
03/11/2011 2:51 PMPosted by Donaelia
If they're running together, they'll already be in the same phase together, as they will be together every step of the way.

Usually when I've seen phasing be an issue is with players who want to quest together but haven't stayed perfectly in sync with questing the whole time, either because they're different levels or because one was playing that character when the other wasn't.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
This is the sort of philosophy we're going for with phasing, as we do feel it's an important tool for storytelling.

This is all well and good, however I think many people don't play this game to just solo their way through content. I enjoy running around with guildies, helping them do quests I've already done - even if they don't need the help, we all want the interaction. Not to mention how difficult it is to protect guildies from persistent PvP attacks when they're in a phased zone. I understand why phasing was implemented for quests and I agree it makes for a very immersive questing experience. I disagree that it should preclude being able to play with and assist one's friends.

Allow party/raid members to share a super-phase and the problem would be solved completely.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
There aren't very many quests that you have to have somebody else with you to complete anymore.

This is the sort of philosophy we're going for with phasing, as we do feel it's an important tool for storytelling. We do recognize issues where we've "over-phased" zones in the past though, and we generally tried to take a more minimal approach to phasing in Cataclysm. While there is still a good deal of phasing involved in many of the zones, we tried to make each phase a little more intricate and less intrusive on group gameplay. We want to make sure that, in times when a group is required, phasing doesn't hold you back from grouping with friends.

I said a variant of "phase" in every sentence. You're welcome. :p

*cough* phase *cough*

I'm not sure this is working as well as you guys think. There are leveling quests that sometimes must be completed twice when in a group of two. An example is the tentacle "boss" in the, um "sarlacc pit event" in Twilight Highlands; I apologize that I cannot remember the quest name or even the boss that we fought. This happens a few places, but here's the one I actually remember well:

1. Each member of the group --two of us-- was in his own personal phase fighting his own copy, or instance, of the final objective: some boss tentacle.

2. When one member completes the event, the both members are yanked onto the back of an earthen ring gryphon and flown far away from the objective; quest object still incomplete for the slowpokes.

3. Objective incomplete, the slower members must fly back down into the pit and fight the target from full health.

That use of instancing/phasing was extremely intrusive. As are the phase-borders occuring at different times for different group members that are in the same phase. "Follow me" doesn't work when my unit in the game world can be erased from a friends' client unexpectedly.

EDIT: Forgot to agree with other posters that in many places the phasing is smart, brilliant, transparent (ish) and well done. It's a good idea that is possibly being over-used still, and wasn't graced with an abundance of thorough QA before release.

Good examples, great examples, of it working perfectly also exist. Phasing Dragonmaw Port into a larger city while I'm "sent" back to report success in Orgrimmar? Brilliant, nearly transparent to the user, and excellent use of the technology.

Edited by Wyldbill on 3/11/2011 3:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest

I'll be sure to check my personality at the door when discussing a game? Stop trolling. There's an email address for leaving feedback regarding Blizzard interaction on, and management of, the forums: WoWCMFeedback@Blizzard.com

Have you considered calming down and being a little less defensive? Obviously some people are upset... spewing your rage at them isn't going to fix your game or fix them being upset.

But name calling because you're upset is less than cool -- they weren't trolling, you just got your feelings hurt.

Jesus he was joking around, no need to be so hostile.

Edit: Also, what rage? I'm so confused lol.
Edited by Quasra on 3/11/2011 3:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
97 Gnome Mage
I know of at least one other MMORPG that has a way for a group to go back to the phase the party leader is on in phased areas. so i wouldnt think it would be overly difficult to do something like that as we get more and more phased areas.

I love the phasing. I love that my actions had a result that i can see for eons to come.

I dont like that i cant help others achieve that result if they need/want it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
03/11/2011 2:56 PMPosted by Franglethorn

I'll be sure to check my personality at the door when discussing a game? Stop trolling. There's an email address for leaving feedback regarding Blizzard interaction on, and management of, the forums: WoWCMFeedback@Blizzard.com

Have you considered calming down and being a little less defensive? Obviously some people are upset... spewing your rage at them isn't going to fix your game or fix them being upset.

But name calling because you're upset is less than cool -- they weren't trolling, you just got your feelings hurt.

Name calling? It was a fair response. CM's aren't here to soothe your hurt feelings, or take abuse from rude customers. They're here to moderate, gather feedback, and disseminate information.
Reply Quote
93 Gnome Mage
Can something be done about the phased ore/herbs please?

Such a tease, Blizzard.

It is an issue we're aware of and having been looking into. We've applied a number of hotfixes to phased gathering nodes since the release of Cataclysm, but this one is still there and is certainly a bugger.

Pshaw. I'm convinced you guys did this on purpose, and sit around the office watching people trying to farm and laugh at them, while surreptitiously drinking whiskey from your hip flasks.

"Hey watch this guy! It's there.....ooops....now it's not! It's there.....now it's not!" ::maniacal laugh::
Edited by Lissancy on 3/11/2011 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Undead Mage
We want to make sure that, in times when a group is required, phasing doesn't hold you back from grouping with friends.

This was a tiny bit ironic for me. :P I can't say you did the best with the Gilneas phasing that Silverpine gives you, that phases you out of the entire zone, not just the affected areas. I wanna RP with guildies. ;_;

I have a whole, less whiny, constructive post on this over here ----->
( http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2065568773#19 )

It also addresses some other important things, such as the phasing tool that was mentioned way back in Cata's development.. It would be simply amazing if I, no, we - could get some feedback on some of the points brought up (by anybody), at the expense of me sounding like a whiny self-promotional narcissist. It would seem as if my post was one of those "TL;DR" ones that gets flooded by other shorter more whiny threads. :\

:D
Edited by Pyre on 3/11/2011 3:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
70 Dwarf Death Knight

They were either trolling or illiterate, because Z didn't just "respond to legitimate customer concerns with jokes," he gave an answer to the concerns in addition to throwing in a joke at the end.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
we generally tried
several times in the same zone (and in most zones) i can't see the person i'm grouped with as they disappear infront of me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]