Phasing ..a huge mistake

85 Draenei Priest
phasing grew on me
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
03/11/2011 2:45 PMPosted by Shargaas
Right on. Respond to legitimate customer concerns with jokes. Guess what, nothing is funny coming from you people anymore.

beep...blop...bleep...I am a robot... my primary objective is to respond to QQ with no emotion... bleep... blop....
lol lighten up. the "legitimate" concern was addressed. no need to be rude
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Phasing is nice, but it does not belong around instance entrances like ICC. Say half my raid was phased and pvp broke out in their phase. Sorry, can't help them, let alone enjoy some casual world pvp. It made the summoning stone outside useless..
Edited by Sammonoske on 3/11/2011 5:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
People like to play together, doesn't matter if they need help or not. My friend and I quested in Cataclysm together because the game's funner when you experience things together.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
03/11/2011 2:49 PMPosted by Zarhym
Right on. Respond to legitimate customer concerns with jokes. Guess what, nothing is funny coming from you people anymore.

I'll be sure to check my personality at the door when discussing a game? Stay on topic. There's an email address for leaving feedback regarding Blizzard interaction on, and management of, the forums: WoWCMFeedback@Blizzard.com

Hello.

Although off-topic from the original post, I had a follow-up question on your comment.

Could you please clarify who is responsible for reading e-mails sent to that address? I have a concern that the community team is essentially self-regulated. And I wonder the extent to which community sentiment is filtered through the lens of the CM staffers' individual perspectives.

Also, you're the one who makes the patch notes fun to read, right? Please do NOT check your personality at the door. I like it.
Reply Quote
03/11/2011 5:09 PMPosted by Zarhym
Our quest design team is actively following the comments for feedback about quest design, phasing included. Feel free to let us know your ideas for ways we can improve the questing and storytelling experience without impeding on your gameplay. Or just let us know what works for you and what doesn't. ;)

I have an idea, put somewhere the option that aks us if we want phasing or not. That way, we can get herbs or minerals when we want and when we want to do quests we can click the phasing button. If you dont then you can't continue with your quests.
Reply Quote
8 Troll Hunter
i'm not sure what it was, but while doing the horde chain in hilsbrad where i bombed the 4 hills, something put me in combat for like 5 minutes, even if i walked halfway across the zone

not sure if it was a phased mob, because i wasn't taking damage
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
This is an MMO.
Blizzard decided in their wisdom to remove the second M from 1 to 85.
Coupled with ridiculously fast leveling and retch inducing linearity I think it will come back to bite them in the butt. Thee single worst business decision for an MMO long term I can think of IMO.
It's suppose to be a world you can explore as you want, at least it's suppose to give that illusion anyhow. Vanilla had at least 3-4 options to level as you progressed.
And for all you "But you can go back and get "ACHIEVEMENTS" sorry, god mode achievements are not fun in my book, something gained by zero challenge is hardly an "achievement". And leveling speed so bloody fast that it's semi-god mode 1/3 of the way through a zone is no fun either.

Depends on your point of view and circumstances. I usually quest in the morning and since no one else in the guild is online at that time, I end up soloing a lot. Tankadins generally can solo a lot of quests that suggest two or more players anyway. But you end up in, say, Zul Drak and want to do the Ampitheater of Anguish and no one on the realm is even in the zone most of the time these days. One thing I think would alleviate situations like that is to create a "Group Quest Finder" that could get those suggested five group quests done without having to wait for four other people in the same general level range to do it with on your own realm. These days, Northrend and Dalaran have very few players in them any longer.
Reply Quote
41 Blood Elf Rogue

I'll be sure to check my personality at the door when discussing a game? Stay on topic. There's an email address for leaving feedback regarding Blizzard interaction on, and management of, the forums: WoWCMFeedback@Blizzard.com

It's okay Zarhym most of us enjoy humor with the blue posts, you're human ( I think) your allowed to have a sense of humor. (oh look at me over use of "humor)

...as for phasing, I don't see the problem. Even if you are a couple of levels ahead of your friend/wife/mate/whatever you should be able to talk them through the quests. I'm a major social player, I'm on vent every night with friends laughing and talking about game and real life. We've been able to assist each other and I was even able to grab toons that were still working on the phased quests that my friends were on and run it together. The quests that are difficult? Blizz has been nice enough to send some npcs to help us.
Edited by Sapntickle on 3/11/2011 5:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue

It is an issue we're aware of and having been looking into. We've applied a number of hotfixes to phased gathering nodes since the release of Cataclysm, but this one is still there and is certainly a bugger.

Pshaw. I'm convinced you guys did this on purpose, and sit around the office watching people trying to farm and laugh at them, while surreptitiously drinking whiskey from your hip flasks.

"Hey watch this guy! It's there.....ooops....now it's not! It's there.....now it's not!" ::maniacal laugh::

wow someone lost there tinfoil hat

it's not the blizzard development team doing that it's the masions. it's part of there plot to control the world by keeping you looking for the node while they along with a the men in black helicopters let the aliens in area 52 call there motherships to probe you
Edited by Stabetha on 3/11/2011 6:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I do not see how phasing is affecting guilds negatively.

The summoning stone for Icecrown Citadel was in a phased section of the zone.

To get two people who could summon people for a raid, you usually had to send 5 people out and hope that two of them could see each other.
Reply Quote
I have reached level 55 on my druid, and have loremaster of cata on this toon. I never found any quests that i havent been able to solo, with the exception of Coc.
If your guild members like help, then level an alt with them.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
03/11/2011 2:47 PMPosted by Zarhym
It is an issue we're aware of and having been looking into. We've applied a number of hotfixes to phased gathering nodes since the release of Cataclysm, but this one is still there and is certainly a bugger.
I'm not privy to all of the information you all have in front of you, but it really doesn't seem to me to be much of an issue to flip-flop the phasing from a programming standpoint so that mobs in areas like wyrms bend and dragonmaw pass are visible and engable to those who HAVE NOT finished the respective quest chains as opposed to them only being visible to those that completed the chains (and supposedly killed all of these mobs) as it is currently configured.

As I have stated in previous posts. The current state of things only rewards bots and gold farmers who have not completed the quests in these areas and therefore have access to these nodes unimpeded.

If they absolutely HAVE to be phased. Fine. Just phase them the other way. Please.

And thank you for your responses, BTW. Yours are the first Blue posts I have seen addressing this much bandied about issue.
Edited by Ðagger on 3/11/2011 6:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
The phased herbing/mining nightmare could easily be solved if blizzard simply took the time to mark the nodes as immune to phasing. It's obvious they have the tech to do this already since other objects around the nodes do not fade in and out.

It really is absurd when the trees and other objects around you are obviously not fading in and out of reality, but the active node you need vanishes before your eyes, then reappears as soon as you start to fly away. Worse, the tracking system ignores phasing, so it leads you straight to the phantom nodes just to torture you.

The current system makes no sense whatsoever.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
03/11/2011 6:10 PMPosted by Thequay
I do not see how phasing is affecting guilds negatively.

The summoning stone for Icecrown Citadel was in a phased section of the zone.

To get two people who could summon people for a raid, you usually had to send 5 people out and hope that two of them could see each other.

Not only that, the phasing there was triggered by the icecrown dailies, so one day you could see your friend at the stone and the next day you could not.

It's truly absurd that this basic issue still has not been fixed despite all the great new tech added in Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
my guildie was getting ganked by 3 people, went go help him.. sorry phased.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
03/11/2011 2:41 PMPosted by Zarhym
This is the sort of philosophy we're going for with phasing, as we do feel it's an important tool for storytelling. We do recognize issues where we've "over-phased" zones in the past though, and we generally tried to take a more minimal approach to phasing in Cataclysm. While there is still a good deal of phasing involved in many of the zones, we tried to make each phase a little more intricate and less intrusive on group gameplay. We want to make sure that, in times when a group is required, phasing doesn't hold you back from grouping with friends.

Wouldn't it be great if the phasing for storytelling was done in your own personal instance, so each character would have their own personal story. Maybe you could even invite your friends into your personal story, so they could play with you, without worrying about being "out of phase."

Then in the overall game world we all share, characters would be free to interact with each other without worrying about what stage of the story they are on. Free to pvp, gather nodes, and respond to the environment around them by playing together. In fact then the actual world of azeroth could be more dynamic, like a real world, and not a stage for people to ride through, never to return again.

Whoopsie I just described Guild Wars 2.

Anyway, it's funny that the reason they don't want to implement player housing or guild halls is because they don't want players hanging out in an instance "removed" from the world but that's exactly what phasing does anyway. It chops up the player base into multiple sections. If you were going to actually try to go exploring out in the vast world of Azeroth with your friends you'd be "out of phase" all over the place (of course what incentive do you have to do that anyway?)
Edited by Wasselin on 3/11/2011 6:43 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]