Phasing ..a huge mistake

(Locked)

90 Troll Shaman
The linear quest models aren't a good idea. I liked when I could quest with friends and not have to be in the place, same time, doing the quests.

That's one thing that was good about wrath. The questing was easy to jump around on. Now it's pidgeonholed.

i disagree... questing in wrath was slow and in general annoyingly boring... i found the questing in cata to be faster, and a lot more enjoyable with a good flow. the phasing part could use some changing. but in general cata questing has been great.
85 Goblin Warlock
Phasing is cool just GIMME MY ORES AND HERBS!
85 Orc Warrior
OP states:
01/31/2011 5:10 PMPosted by Anord
Once through the quests in an area a player is no longer able to aid guild members who haven't done those quests yet.

Blizzard, a certain other MMO that was recently released fixed what you missed; When you join a group with another player, you should be given the option to phase into your party member's zone, wherever applicable.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Problem with cataclysm phasing is not only nodes that dissapear, but the lag that generates.

Let me explain, i'm flying over a zone farming, and if i dont stop every couple a seconds, nodes and herbs will only appear way back in the back and to dissapear next second.

Someone even made a thread so that blizzard lets us adjust our flying speed in order to see the nodes and herbs better.

I think this is especcialy true in the cases of latin american servers, which are located far from the costumers itself, having more latency by default.
100 Draenei Shaman
Right on. Respond to legitimate customer concerns with jokes. Guess what, nothing is funny coming from you people anymore.

What constitutes a legitimate concern? I think a legitimate concern is one that both parties agree and validate.

What gives you the right to such arrogance towards another person regardless of the relationship between the two?

I'll be sure to check my personality at the door when discussing a game? Stay on topic. There's an email address for leaving feedback regarding Blizzard interaction on, and management of, the forums: WoWCMFeedback@Blizzard.com

FINALLY!! Kudos to you Zar!

I find it amusing when someone responds to that kind of arrogance with a subtle comment that adds up to:

"I am human just like you."
85 Draenei Death Knight
03/11/2011 2:41 PMPosted by Zarhym
We do recognize issues where we've "over-phased" zones in the past though, and we generally tried to take a more minimal approach to phasing in Cataclysm.

Cataclysm is heavily phased, so I'd hate to see a non-minimal approach. I hate phasing, it causes more problems than it solves. However, I know its going to continue to be used so I'd just suggest this: use it only as a last resort.

On a semi-related note: is the persistent lag in Twilight Highlands due to phasing?
58 Draenei Death Knight
I wish there was more phasing in the game but I acknowledge that my gameplay is different than most others. I play the game for the storyline; I do everything outside of BGs by myself and will leave an area if there are other people in it doing the same questline at the same time. Phasing has made the storytelling experience so much better-- the story feels real, the quests have consequences, it feels like an actual immersive role-playing experience.
85 Tauren Warrior
Speaking of phasing:

Does anyone know if Myzerian in Uldum can only be done solo. I invited an 85 DK to help me kill the dragon and I could see him on my mini map but he was in a different phase and he said the Myzerian he saw had some kind of buff on it mine had none.

I left the zone and came back but we were still in different phases.

Anyone know if this was a bug or do you have to kill Myzerian alone. I want to kill him for the quest you get from his head.

Classes with combat pets say they have soloed him as warrior with my present gear I have found it impossigle.
I'd just like to chime in and say I love phasing and I think people going against it are those who don't really care about immersion. Which is fine but there's already tons of faster ways to level that aren't immersive.

I don't want to troll with that, I just want to put in my opinion that some people really like phasing and would not like to see it stop being used when it's already only involved in an incredibly small amount of content until you're at Lv80, just because a couple of people want to powerlevel or whatever.

I CERTAINLY don't think it's a "huge mistake".
100 Human Warlock
I <3 Phasing.

I turns a single zone into multiple zones / dimensions.
100 Night Elf Druid
I just hate seeing a green !, looking for a Fligh Master and then realizing that the Flight Point is Phased and I will have to do a lot of low level quests just to be able to use that FP.

Of course that is better than having a PF doing some quests and then losing that FP.
85 Undead Mage
It bugged me in Icecrown because when I got to the groups quests that I had trouble solo-ing, I had to wait for a guildie to catch up to my phasing to help me out. Everyone had either done all of the Icecrown quests or, like my fiance, was really frustrated with the phasing and gave up on trying to catch up. It was really frustrating at the time, though now I can go back and solo those no problem for the achievement.

When I saw that phasing was at work again in Cata, I just accepted that my fiance and I wouldn't be questing together.
90 Night Elf Druid
Pro
I think there should be a system like "follow phase" where players (as long as they are in your group) can move to their phase. When they change their phase (but they are not moving) , you can either follow them again or stay where you are (such as for turning quests your friend turned completely.

Indeed, another option (which I may not like at all but would be good) is that quests that trigger different phase will show in the quest reward: "Completing this quests will change the nearby areas around you".

Another option is clicking on players icon that says they are in a different phase and see a "track phase". Then players will see what they need to do to be in the same phase. If you are in an advanced phase, then you will see what they are missing to be in the same phase.
Edited by Citlatonac on 3/12/2011 7:47 AM PST
85 Night Elf Priest
Phasing will only continue to grow in scale in WoW. It's something that you will have to grow with and adapt.
90 Night Elf Druid
Pro
Perhaps an alternative to phasing. Make some entities invisible to players who have completed the quest instead. This already happens in some areas such as Terrokar. There are ghost NPCs that you cannot attack nor see unless you use a potion.

Maybe in a similar way. You get a buff that lets you see some terrains things. The problem is this will confuse players even more. At least this could be an alternative to some phasing where the only thing that changes are the NPCs available but not the terrain.

You can even create 3 different types of NPCs that trigger into visible / invisible, attackable / un-attackable, friendly / hostile. This way you could have one quest giver that attacks you back only when you turn a quests with out making the rest wait at all.

Well, just some idea as an alternative to phasing.
85 Night Elf Rogue
I love phasing, personally.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd just like to chime in and say I love phasing and I think people going against it are those who don't really care about immersion. Which is fine but there's already tons of faster ways to level that aren't immersive.

I don't want to troll with that, I just want to put in my opinion that some people really like phasing and would not like to see it stop being used when it's already only involved in an incredibly small amount of content until you're at Lv80, just because a couple of people want to powerlevel or whatever.

I CERTAINLY don't think it's a "huge mistake".

I have nothing against phasing, i do think that they must solve the huge lag problem phasing cause in cata, and that wasn't there in wrath before continue to use it.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Most times it is not about another player actually needing help. It is more about friends or guild mates wanting to actually, you know, play together?

While I really do like the concept and how it plays into the storyline, it really does kill the ability for friends to play together when some have advanced farther than others.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]