DPS DK Tips

47 Worgen Druid
Any idea what kinda talents i should follow? and what weps should i use 1h axe 2h sword. etc.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
This is pretty open-ended so it would probably be better off in the DK forum. You should also post on the DK you're talking about so people can see your current spec/weapons.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Depends what do you want to do?

DPS
Tank
PVP

Weapons:

depends on spec and stats of the weapons. The stats you look for vary depending on your role.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Since your question is a little vague and I'm assuming you're starting a brand-new DK, I'll run down the very, very basics of each tree and talents you won't want to miss out on.

Blood (Tanking)
Blood was converted to a dedicated tanking tree in The Shattering patch (4.0.1). In comparison with other specs, you will absolutely not kill things as quickly as other specs will, but you will be much more durable. The Blood tree is full of self-heals and damage reduction. Its signature skill is Heart Strike, a cleaving, moderate-damage attack.

Key talents:
Bone Shield, Blood Parasite, Improved Blood Presence, Improved Death Strike.

Frost (DPS)
Frost has gone from a hybrid DPS/Tanking tree to a pure dps tree with Deathwing's arrival. Frost is laden with high-damage skills and will put up the biggest single-swing numbers of any DK spec. It's also heavily dependent on procs, so your numbers may be up and down a bit based on luck. Frost supports either 2h or dual-wield. Its signature skill, Frost-Strike, is a high-damage attack that uses runic power.

Key talents:
Annihilation, Killing Machine, Improved Icy Talons, Rime, Howling Blast
Also of note:
Threat of Thassarian (for dual-wield only)
Might of the Frozen Wastes (for 2h only)

and, before I move on
With The Shattering, Death Knights recieved a new passive ability called Runic Empowerment. This is applicable only to Blood and Frost DKs. The ability gives them a 45% chance to randomly, fully regenerate a rune when using Frost Strike, Rune Strike or Death Coil. Though I've adjusted to it, I initially found the randomness of this very frustrating. Just something to consider.

Unholy (DPS)
Unholy isn't going to blow you away with its big hits, but with its rune efficiency, short GCD and full-time pet it puts out just as much damage as Frost, with a completely different feel. Unlike Frost and Blood, Unholy cancels out Runic Empowerment (see above) with a talent called Runic Corruption. Instead of regenerating a random rune fully, it doubles your rune regeneration rate for 3 seconds, giving the tree a more fluid, less reactive feel. Unholy begins and ends with its diseases and the buffs and debuffs associated with them, but with use of abilities like Festering Strike, they're not a chore to keep up. Unholy can be done using dual-wield, but is just as good or better using 2h, and this gap is likely to widen in upcoming patches, as devs have stated that they would like Unholy to be a 2-hand tree.

Key talents: Contagion, Dark Transformation, Improved Unholy Presence, Ebon Plaguebringer, Runic Corruption

Hope this helps you make your decision :)

Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/01/2011 12:30 AMPosted by Sacrifist
Since your question is a little vague and I'm assuming you're starting a brand-new DK, I'll run down the very, very basics of each tree and talents you won't want to miss out on.

Blood (Tanking)
Blood was converted to a dedicated tanking tree in The Shattering patch (4.0.1). In comparison with other specs, you will absolutely not kill things as quickly as other specs will, but you will be much more durable. The Blood tree is full of self-heals and damage reduction. Its signature skill is Heart Strike, a cleaving, moderate-damage attack.

Key talents:
Bone Shield, Blood Parasite, Improved Blood Presence, Improved Death Strike.

Frost (DPS)
Frost has gone from a hybrid DPS/Tanking tree to a pure dps tree with Deathwing's arrival. Frost is laden with high-damage skills and will put up the biggest single-swing numbers of any DK spec. It's also heavily dependent on procs, so your numbers may be up and down a bit based on luck. Frost supports either 2h or dual-wield. Its signature skill, Frost-Strike, is a high-damage attack that uses runic power.

Key talents:
Annihilation, Killing Machine, Improved Icy Talons, Rime, Howling Blast
Also of note:
Threat of Thassarian (for dual-wield only)
Might of the Frozen Wastes (for 2h only)

and, before I move on
With The Shattering, Death Knights recieved a new passive ability called Runic Empowerment. This is applicable only to Blood and Frost DKs. The ability gives them a 45% chance to randomly, fully regenerate a rune when using Frost Strike, Rune Strike or Death Coil. Though I've adjusted to it, I initially found the randomness of this very frustrating. Just something to consider.

Unholy (DPS)
Unholy isn't going to blow you away with its big hits, but with its rune efficiency, short GCD and full-time pet it puts out just as much damage as Frost, with a completely different feel. Unlike Frost and Blood, Unholy cancels out Runic Empowerment (see above) with a talent called Runic Corruption. Instead of regenerating a random rune fully, it doubles your rune regeneration rate for 3 seconds, giving the tree a more fluid, less reactive feel. Unholy begins and ends with its diseases and the buffs and debuffs associated with them, but with use of abilities like Festering Strike, they're not a chore to keep up. Unholy can be done using dual-wield, but is just as good or better using 2h, and this gap is likely to widen in upcoming patches, as devs have stated that they would like Unholy to be a 2-hand tree.

Key talents: Contagion, Dark Transformation, Improved Unholy Presence, Ebon Plaguebringer, Runic Corruption

Hope this helps you make your decision :)

Seems like you grabbed this from somewhere, while this forum isn't 9th grade english it generally is nice to give the original write credit. If it is you, i appologize it is well written.

Only thing I see is that I believe that currently the number crunchers will say as far as DPS specs go in order of damage output on bosses:

1. 2-hand unholy
2. dual frost
3. 2-hand frost
4. dual unholy

I have'nt looked at the data to see how far apart the specs are.
Reply Quote
02/01/2011 5:32 AMPosted by Jåy
Seems like you grabbed this from somewhere, while this forum isn't 9th grade english it generally is nice to give the original write credit. If it is you, i appologize it is well written.

Google says its only home is here.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

All original, I assure you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]