Archaeology Rare Drop Rate

90 Human Priest
This thread pertains to the archaeology rares that everyone is pissed they can't get: the trinket, the staves, the sword, the mount... etc, not the easy to find ones. I'm not going to list them all.

Is it confirmed that these have a drop rate of 1%? I see people speculating this all over the forums. If this is the drop rate, then if the entire population of World of Warcraft did archaeology (12 million) for a specific rare, then thousands upon thousands would be left trying after 350 solves (as in days of their life gone FOREVER). This seems kind of cruel given that upwards of 90% will find it in just hours or a much more reasonable amount of time. Why do they have to suffer so much?! Although posts on the forums and word of mouth make a tiny data pool, it seems as though most people get it sooner, so perhaps the drop rate is higher than 1%. I'm trying to figure out just how unlucky I am...

At 1% drop rate and 348 solves for "rare awesome item of awesomeness," I figure I have about a 3% chance of not receiving it by now. This makes me double unlucky. If the drop rate is .5% this goes up to about a 17.5% chance, which seems too high.

Whether it's just a few or thousands of unlucky people, there needs to be some sort of RNG cap.

Calculating failure. Another way to make archaeology more interesting.
Edited by Everex on 1/25/2011 8:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Not sure on the exact drop rate, but after 150ish hrs of digging I have 19 rares solved and only 1 canopic jar that did not have vial of the sands. I got the ring and trinket at about 100 hrs. I have still yet to see the 2h sword or any of the staves. 1 guildie and myself only got 2 rares before hitting 525 arch. We both got fossilized raptor mount only after hitting 525, another guildie who is only digging for the 2h sword, got the mount at about 400 skill and has about 100 hrs into it and still no sword.

I could not even tell you how many puzzles I have solved in Kalimdor, but the Tol'Vir digs are royally skewed. In my last 30 hrs of digging, I have not gotten a single Tol'Vir dig site
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
01/25/2011 8:27 AMPosted by Barkatelune
I could not even tell you how many puzzles I have solved in Kalimdor, but the Tol'Vir digs are royally skewed. In my last 30 hrs of digging, I have not gotten a single Tol'Vir dig site

I definitely think they raised the chance to get a Tol'vir dig site in the last few days without stating it. I suddenly get tons of them. This could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what item you're looking for, of course...
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Currently looking for Vial of the sands and the 2h sword ( primary ) and the Tol'Vir mount.

Vials of the sands has been my primary since before the release of cata, so I need Tol'Vir digs, which I am not getting and have not been getting. I have about 15 or so puzzles solved in Tol'Vir. Multiples of everything, but still only 1 canpoic jar.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I've gotten most of the easy rares and only one rarer rare, which was Tyrande's favorite doll. I got that at 110 night elf solves, which given the proc rate of night elf sites was really not too bad. (That would support your theory of 1 percent I guess, but I know other people are up to 200+ solves.)

I couldn't begin to calculate how many hours I've spent on archaeology. I hope it's nowhere close to 100. I normally only do it while I'm waiting for the random dungeon q to pop, although I've spent a couple late nights flying around for two hours at a time. Honestly it's so freaking BORING, I don't know how people stay motivated to get upwards of 300 solves. That's an incredible amount of monotony for a game, and especially for an item that's going to be obsolete before you can say 'God I wasted my life on archaeology.'

Out of respect for the players who have wasted their lives on this, they should give the items more utility. i.e., make the stats scalable for level 1 characters like other BoAs and/or make the stats scale with the next level of gear.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I've gotten 3 jars, which seems excessive at only about 25 Tol'vir artifacts solved. And I'm not even an alchemist. I've been banking the jars unopened, on the off chance that if I ever do switch to alchemy they could possibly proc the recipe. I really wonder if this game has a SCREW-YOU subroutine that increases the drop rate for items you are unable to use.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
is it possible to get rare drops after 525, or is i over? i hi 7 rares before 525. not the one i wanted but i only got 7. so what is the max rare items a char can get?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
01/25/2011 9:49 AMPosted by Mooseknuckll
One thing I'd love to have bliz do for the jars is if you get the mount recipe but you get it on an alt (which in my case my main isn't an alchemist but 2 of my alts are) that the recipe at least boa too since i'd love to be able to send it to my alt if my main came across it cause of the rest of the items being boa.

You won't get the recipe if you're not an alchemist.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
You can get rares at any level. The BoA epics will only drop after archy skill is 450. No limit after 525.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
It's not confirmed to be 1%. My personal speculation is 0.5%. It's almost certainly no higher than 1% and probably not any lower than 0.5%.

For some numbers and probability discussion, see previous thread:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1869566728
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
"Rare" is a relative term in archaeology. All of the rares that are not BoA 359 epics tend to actually be pretty common, and you are highly likely to get them as projects before you complete every single common for that specific race. Having gotten my professor title and thus 20 rares, I can say that for certainty. There were a couple of rares that I only got after I'd completed every single common and a few others a couple of times, but it didn't take more than a few duplicate crafts.

On the other side of the coin, the ring of the boy emperor doesn't seem to be all that rare either, most people getting it as a project before they get the tol'vir achievement to get all but 1 of the commons.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
Im at about 23 dwarfs, all 3 rares missing staff

21 fossil have the mount and pet

Night elf is 22 with only 2 rares the statue and chimes

troll is 45 no sword.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
i can use any weapon, muliptiple chars, kinda lovin warcraft
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
20 Rares

Total Artifacts - Rares
Dwarf: 71 - 3/4
Draenei: 12 - 2/2
Fossil: 52 - 2/2
Night Elf: 117 - 7/7
Nerubian: 11 - 2/2
Orc: 12 - 1/1
Tol'vir: 21 - 3/6
Troll: 138 - 0/1
Vrykul: 6 - 1/1

RNG is RNG, QQing won't work in your favor.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
01/25/2011 9:24 AMPosted by Shareese
I've gotten 3 jars, which seems excessive at only about 25 Tol'vir artifacts solved. And I'm not even an alchemist. I've been banking the jars unopened, on the off chance that if I ever do switch to alchemy they could possibly proc the recipe. I really wonder if this game has a SCREW-YOU subroutine that increases the drop rate for items you are unable to use.

3 jars in 25 solves is on par. There are 7 commons, you have a 1/7 chance of getting a jar when you get a common.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Dwarf: 36 3/4
Draenei: 13 2/2
Fossil: 120 2/2
Night Elf: 291 7/7
Nerubian: 9 2/2
Orc: 12 1/1
Tol'vir: 56 2/6 (10 Canopic jars - found vial in 2nd jar)
Troll: 106 0/0
Vrykul: 43 1/1

So i've had Professor for a week now but i'm pretty sure i've logged more time after the achieve looking for a 21st rare. They sure are elusive....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]