Expansion Upgrade List

85 Night Elf Druid
Updated for Mists of Pandaria!

When upgrading expansions, you do not need to reinstall the game client. You just have to upgrade your account from either the online upgrade or the authorization key that's on the CD sleeve in the retail box copies from the store. They do the same thing. The expansions must be upgraded in the following order - you CANNOT skip expansions.

Note: The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King are now included in the battlechest! I'm still separating their content sections in this listing though.

BC = Burning Crusade
WotLK = Wrath of the Lich King
Cata = Cataclysm
Mists = Mists of Pandaria

Battlechest = Classic + BC + WotLK in one package!

You can purchase all of the expansions up through Mists for $59.99 on the Blizzard store!

You don't need BC unless: (( included in the base game now ))

-you want to level in Outland at level 58
-you want to level past 60
-you want to level professions past 300
-you want to play in the Eye of the Storm battleground
-you want to do level 70 raids/instances

You don't need WotLK unless: (( included in the base game now ))

-you want to level in Northrend at level 68
-you want to play past level 70
-you want to level professions past 375
-you want to play a Death Knight at level 55
-you want to play in the Strand of the Ancients, Isle of Conquest, or Wintergrasp battlegrounds
-you want to do level 80 raids/instances

You don't need Cata unless:

-you want to play past level 80
-you want to level professions past 450
-you want to play in the Twin Peaks, Battle for Gilneas, or Tol Barad battlegrounds
-you want to do level 85 raids/instances
-you want to do level 85 arena fights
-you want to fly in Azeroth at level 60
-you want to level Archeology at level 20

You don't need Mists unless:

-you want to play past level 85
-you want to level professions past 525
-you want to play in the Silvershard Mines or Temple of Kotmogu battlegrounds
-you want to do level 90 raids/instances
-you want to do level 90 arena fights
-you want to play a Monk class

---------- Starter/Trial Accounts ----------
Blizzard FAQ including restrictions:
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&tag=wowStarterEditionfaq&rhtml=true

The Blizzard FAQ is wrong in several places.

- It is not Free to Play because it's just a trial account without a time limit.
- You can roll all races of characters (including Pandaren when Mists launches).
- At level 20 for PvP you're put into the exp-locked battlegrounds.
- Secondary professions are NOT capped at 100.
- Only players near your level can see what you type in /say chat (up to level 25-ish we think; Blizzard hasn't actually told us).
- You cannot create custom emotes (/e or /me or /em in chat).
- You can group with players of any level, but you cannot invite anyone to a group. A full account must invite you to the group.

---------- General FAQ's ----------

Q: Do I need Cataclysm to see the revamped 1-60 content?
A: No. That was included in a patch and all players are playing within the same game world.

Q: How can I pay for WoW? When do I have to pay?
A: Once you upgrade to a full account and your free 30 days run out, you have to start paying the subscription either via credit card or by adding gamecards to your account. Whether or not you have expansions doesn't change the monthly price, but you can get game time for a couple bucks less per month if you buy it in 3- or 6-month packages. More details can be found here:
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/subscription-options

Q: Can I make a worgen, goblin, or Pandaren regardless of my account type?
A: Yes! Races are no longer restricted to expansions. Classes like the Monk and Death Knight are still restricted.
Edited by Icedragon on 9/19/2012 8:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Voted for sticky.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Why would someone report this? ::Facepalm::
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Reported doesn't always mean bad. It also shows that icon when someone has reported to post to be stickied, or if you click the "vote for sticky" link. :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Now with the vote to stick option, reporting should be only a bad thing. Reporting to get a sticky hasn't worked with posts, that I've seen, before
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
If you click the vote for sticky link, it reports it and gives it that icon. I agree that it looks like a bad thing, but that's how it works right now.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
01/28/2011 5:10 PMPosted by Wërth
If you click the vote for sticky link, it reports it and gives it that icon. I agree that it looks like a bad thing, but that's how it works right now.

Oh, my mistake, that's lame.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
01/28/2011 5:11 PMPosted by Dasffion

That's how it worked in the old forums. Dunno why people are surprised about it here.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
01/28/2011 5:17 PMPosted by Icedragon

That's how it worked in the old forums. Dunno why people are surprised about it here.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time on the old forum and never voted anything sticky
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
This is helpful, as I'm nearing 58 (but I'm ganna buy the expansions in a downloadable bundle to save money), voted for sticky.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Bumpage
Reply Quote
18 Night Elf Hunter
This post was very helpful.Since I don't know anyone that plays around me. thx.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Once your account is upgraded to cata, how long does it take for the upgrades to take effect?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Should be instant, probably need to log out and back in if you haven't. As far as I know the only thing that has a waiting period is if you buy the full version online after having a trial period. Then it takes 72 hours. It is possible that's how it works for anything bought online though, not really sure.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Yeah, I bought cata and upgraded my account Saturday. I've been thinking I'm doing something stupid. But nothing, haha.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
02/15/2011 12:01 PMPosted by Lutherion
Yeah, I bought cata and upgraded my account Saturday. I've been thinking I'm doing something stupid. But nothing, haha.

Assuming the 72 hour holds for any online purchase you should be upgraded today. It is a rough time though, so might be a few hours + or - you should be able to check your battle.net account to see.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Bump to stop the idiocy that seems to be following my copy/paste version of this list.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
Good post, many thanks! I have been stuck on this for the past few days.. Looks like I'll be spending some more $$$ (sigh) ...
Reply Quote
Back to the top!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I think your missing level 70 and 80 arena fights? You can still do those right?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]